Keymod vs. M-LOK

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 12,602 Senior Member
Got the newest Book of the AR-15 the other day. Had an article on Troy's XM-177, a firearm that's kinda neat to me, one on installing an AR barrel, and a few articles by Kyle Lamb. One of Sgt. Lamb's articles is on DMR rifles on the market. He talks about a Sig offering that's good other than it has a Keymod handguard, which he doesn't like. He likes a Christensen Arms VTAC rifle (not surprising because VTAC is Kyle Lamb) that has an M-LOK handguard, saying the M-LOK is easy to swap accessories and rails on while the Keymod is difficult.

I"ll admit I haven't messed with an M-LOK at all, and have only messed around with an unmounted Keymod (waiting on a barrel to be purchased.) But looking at how bits and pieces attach to each... I don't see one being that much easier/harder to attach attachments to than the other. And as far as speed of adding/removing, I wonder if speed of attachment is really THAT crucial for a DMR. If it was, why not go with a Pic rail? Maybe it's because VTAC mostly sells Picatinny and M-LOK accessories?

Am I right and seeing both being equally slow/speedy? Or is there something I'm missing?
Overkill is underrated.

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,895 Senior Member
    I can't see there being that much difference in speed of swapping parts on Keymod or M-LOK fore ends. Probably has more to do with Sgt. Lamb wanting to sell what makes him money.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,878 Senior Member
    Agreed. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. No difference as far as I'm concerned.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,061 Senior Member
    Supposedly there is more surface contact with M-Lok. I suspect that for 99% of folks they are functionally the same.

However......

keymod.jpg

...keymod looks like you have a bunch of cartoon penises carved into your handguard. M-Lok is just a rectangle. Whichever way that influences your decision is entirely up to you......
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,895 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    ...keymod looks like you have a bunch of cartoon penises carved into your handguard. M-Lok is just a rectangle. Whichever way that influences your decision is entirely up to you......

I had never noticed that. Does that explain why there are more options for Keymod FFT?
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,058 Senior Member
    Either, or, really.

I prefer M-Lok. Mostly aesthetic reasons.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,073 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    Supposedly there is more surface contact with M-Lok. I suspect that for 99% of folks they are functionally the same.

However......

keymod.jpg

Huh. Never looked at it that way. I will from now on though. Keymod =cock lock.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file