The Boy Strikes Yet Again!!!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 18,961 Senior Member
The Little Man is on a roll. Went hunting yesterday evening as it was nice and cool with a bit of a breeze. Set up in the blind was really a two man deal, so I sat on the stairway platform outside the door.

IMG_1782%20-%20Copy_zpsyi0z27rl.jpg

While we waited, my boy introduced our friend to the intricacies of all things Angry Bird.

IMG_1784_zpsi6cstmxf.jpg

Eventually, several does and some yearlings showed up. Followed by a 7 point and a 9 point. But, the bucks were a little spooky with the wind and didn't hang around long. We picked out a big lone doe and got set up for a shot.

IMG_1779_zpswhbymy9v.jpg

The target doe was covered up by another one so my boy held his fire until she turned back the other way. Slightly quartering towards us at 120 yards, he put a 105gr A-Max perfectly behind her shoulder. On impact, she jumped and ran across the sendaro and into the brush. It looked and sounded like a good hit, so we packed up our gear and gave her a few minutes.

The doe he shot was standing at the big red big red arrow and ran to the left of the picture into the brush.

Milstead%20Doe%2002-15-17%205%20-%20Copy_zpsl0546hg8.jpg

When we arrived at the location, there was a good blood trail. So, we started teaching my boy how to track. Finding a big chunk of lung along the way. Evidence of a good hit and the effectiveness of the A-Max.

Milstead%20Doe%2002-15-17%209_zpsu88tiapd.jpg

Milstead%20Doe%2002-15-17%2010_zpsmjlnutye.jpg

The big doe only ran 21 yards after the hit. A short run with a good blood trail. The result of a well placed shot.

Milstead%20Doe%2002-15-17%2016%20-%20Copy_zpshych1fmx.jpg

Entrance:

Milstead%20Doe%2002-15-17%2018_zps22os9cf8.jpg

Milstead%20Doe%2002-15-17%2020_zpsu6mxt2do.jpg

Exit:

Milstead%20Doe%2002-15-17%2019_zpsshhktbxy.jpg

Milstead%20Doe%2002-15-17%2021_zps6fiuw4ab.jpg

The bullet struck the heart, yet again! Shredded the off side lung and minced the liver. At least this time, the heart was salvageable! As he didn't blow it up for once.

Milstead%20Doe%2002-15-17%2022_zpsddwmxter.jpg

Yet again, I'm proud of my boy. He is getting faster at getting on target and this time, I didn't coach him at all on the shot. I heard him talking himself through it.

"Follow the back of the front leg to the chest. Halfway up."

"Boom!" Nailed her.
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Comments

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,659 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    "Follow the back of the front leg to the chest. Halfway up."

Exactly what I taught my grandsons - good job. It's very rewarding when you see them doing it, and believing it was their idea.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,706 Senior Member
    Fine work once again by the young man! Glad to see you have a heart to salvage.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Exactly what I taught my grandsons - good job. It's very rewarding when you see them doing it, and believing it was their idea.

That was a proud moment. Hearing him say it to himself without my prompting.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,652 Senior Member
    Your friend is a true gentleman. Hanging out with folks different than him. He has embraced diversity. He sees you as one of his own, not the faceless freaks of nature that you are.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    Humanitarian.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,305 Senior Member
    Once again CONGRATULATIONS to your Son. No doubt you are one proud Dad.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,530 Senior Member
    Nicely Done....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    Wow, what great experiences these are.....for all of you. Tell Little Zee to keep up the good work. Nicely done.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,410 Senior Member
    Is it wrong that I'm jealous of that kid? He's already taken more deer than I have...:tissue:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,563 Senior Member
    Well done :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,878 Senior Member
    Your son has set the bar very high for seasons to come. Awesome job by you both.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,122 Senior Member
    The best pic is of your son sighting one the deer, bolt open, finger not on the trigger, shows great self control and confidence, you should be very proud.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,139 Senior Member
    Awesome! Well done, both of you blurry faced deer killing machines.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file