Preferred SD ammo?

2»

Comments

• Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 692 Senior Member
    Gold Dot in revolvers. Hornady in the autos. I used to carry TAP, they don't call it that anymore, now they call it "Critical Duty."

Are you guys mostly carrying hand-loads or factory SD ammo?

ETA: On a side note, I this last summer decided it was time to change out the carry ammo in my XD9. I had TAP that was from 2008 IIRC. In and out of the mags countless times. The copper was green in some areas, the black cases were chipped and worn...fired 13 + 1 in the short mag and 16 in the backup. All 30rds fired perfectly. I expected they would at the premium SD ammo price point but I was a little worried that 7 year old ammo that had been carried daily for years would possibly have a hiccup, anyone else try this? How old is the ammo you guys usually carry, and how often do you change it out?
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,410 Senior Member
    Never had issues with ammo no matter how old. Admittedly, I haven't seen many rounds more than 30 years old.

Edited to add: The shotguns get Hornady Critical defense 00 buckshot & Remington 1oz. Sluggers.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,561 Senior Member
    Cheetoh734 wrote: »
    Are you guys mostly carrying hand-loads or factory SD ammo?
    My dedicated carry guns are loaded with factory ammo.
    My field/SD guns are normally loaded with hand loads. Home cast LBT 164gr FNGC, 162gr SWCGC or 152gr SWCHPGC in 357s. LEE 200gr RNFP or Rainier 200gr HP in 45, Hand loaded 180gr XTP (Hunting) or 135 EFMJ (SD) in 10mm
    Cheetoh734 wrote: »
    How old is the ammo you guys usually carry, and how often do you change it out?
    Depends on the gun, and how often I need it for something. I change it out when I shoot the ammo that's in it (vermin, snakes, coup de grace etc) Or the notion strikes me to change it out.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,172 Senior Member
    Anything that makes a .45 hole
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,961 Senior Member
    The .40cal HST (155/180) is slaying pigs so, that's good enough for me.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,032 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    The .40cal HST (155/180) is slaying pigs so, that's good enough for me.
    Did I miss you trying out the 155s? Did you do a postmortem?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Did I miss you trying out the 155s? Did you do a postmortem?
    http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?31341-Another-40cal-Hog!!!
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 377 Member
    I only watch the gel tester video's to see which rounds expand despite a fabric barrier. I owe it to others that I load what I can reasonably determine will not be a danger to innocents beyond my threat. I like what I saw in the HST, Win T&D, & Critical Defense.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    The only piece I load for SD is 45acp. It has either WWB 230gr hps or GA 230 gr hps. Everything else gets what ever I grab on the run.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 3,969 Senior Member
    Glaser Blue for the first three. Gold Dots after that. If it takes more than that, I'm gonna drop my gun and be running faster than any scalded cat you've ever seen.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,656 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Heavy-for-caliber. Flat-nosed and non-expanding for anything .380 or smaller. Got to feed and function. Within those considerations, I'm largely indifferent - top-shelf hollowpoints, flat nosed FMJ's, big meplat cast bullets, unjacketed lead SWC's and HP's, even Hickock's .36 round ball was no slouch. . .I'll avoid hard, round noses if I have a choice, but beyond that, load it up.

It's all lead and copper. It's all generally guided by SAAMI pressure specs. It's all governed by the laws of physics much more than marketing. Everybody has access to what the FBI says a combat pistol round needs to do - be shot accurately, penetrate to hit important stuff, and maybe, once it does that, we'll take some expansion too. I'm more worried about a bullet not penetrating enough than too much - misses kill more bystanders than pass-throughs.

This fits my thinking well. I use 147 grain hollow points in 9mm and 230 grain hollow points in .45 ACP, but accuracy and penetration are what I believe in.
  • stetsonstetson Member Posts: 42 Member
    My Kimber is loaded with two different type of ammo.Liberty 50 grain that comes out of 3 inch barrel at 2000 fps and winchester 147 grain that's sub sonic less than 1120 fps. The liberty set me back thirty dollars for 20 round and I can buy Winchester Lawman for thirty dollars for 147 grain for 50 rounds. I prefer the 147 grain slow and heavy.I bought the Liberty on a wim.
  • therewolftherewolf Member Posts: 90 Member
    I've got these 300 grain LFNs for my .44mag with @ 1226 FPs of energy...
    I like 147 grain for my 9mm. Wichester brand cause it's most reasonably priced for 50 round verus 20 rounds.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,648 Senior Member
    My 70 series Colt Government Model is loaded with 230 grain Winchester Black Talons, Black Talons in my Browning Hi-power, 158 grain S&W Nyclads, in my Model 85 Taurus, and 102 grain Remington JHP's in my Walther PPKS. Keep yer powder dry.........robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 3,954 Senior Member
    9mm 147 grain critical defence
    40 180 grain gold dots
    45 230 grain hydro shocks.

Anyone ever try ammo tailored to shorter barrels? I think federal has a version of HST called micro for <4inch barrels. I've read most SD ammo does not get up to speed in short barrels, slow burning powder does not all burn.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,594 Senior Member
    I shot some----did not notice any difference
    My new Signature
  • oldcopoldcop New Member Posts: 16 New Member
    Corbon in just about any caliber
    BAMAAK wrote: »

Anyone ever try ammo tailored to shorter barrels? I think federal has a version of HST called micro for <4inch barrels. I've read most SD ammo does not get up to speed in short barrels, slow burning powder does not all burn.
    I've tried the GD short barrel in 38 and 40
    from G22
    Glock1.jpg

Same ammo from PM40
    Kahr1JPG.jpg

I don't have any pics from testing the 38spcl GDSB, I may not have tested it, but I do have some of it.

• JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,875 Senior Member
    Any heavy for caliber hollow point. Gold Dots mostly, but I'm not picky. Only have two guns with less than ~4" barrel though, and the 2.5" J frame is not a primary carry piece... just occasionally. The Kimber Ultracarry, more frequently.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    I purchased some expensive stuff made by liberty it's 50 grains and leaves barrel at 2000 fps for 9mm.Costs are prohibitive at buck and half a round.I'll be purchasing winchester lawmen for $32.50 for 50 rounds of 147 grain in 9mm.I've always liked it as I had a box of winchester self defense.Slow and heavy works for me.
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 692 Senior Member
    stetson wrote: »
    I purchased some expensive stuff made by liberty it's 50 grains and leaves barrel at 2000 fps for 9mm.Costs are prohibitive at buck and half a round.I'll be purchasing winchester lawmen for $32.50 for 50 rounds of 147 grain in 9mm.I've always liked it as I had a box of winchester self defense.Slow and heavy works for me.

:popcorn:
  • MarvinMarvin Member Posts: 121 Member
    My agency carries HST in duty weapons. We have only had one shooting with it and it worked as desired. I carried HST in my off duty semi auto but switched to Gold Dots a few years back. I carry GD in my J frame as well.
    Marvin wrote: »
    My agency carries HST in duty weapons. We have only had one shooting with it and it worked as desired. I carried HST in my off duty semi auto but switched to Gold Dots a few years back. I carry GD in my J frame as well.
    In my testing into wet newsprint, you can't go wrong with either of those bullet designs IMO :up:

• shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 1,967 Senior Member
    Hornady critical defense in my 9mm Springfield EMP.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 511 Senior Member
    I ran across a website that tested various ammo using (and explaining) the FBI standards and rather than trying to tell you which was best, just posted the results for you to make your own decision. Based on the results posted, I carry Remington Golden Sabre HPJ 147 grain in my 9MM.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,258 Senior Member
    Whoops, I already replied to this thread...
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • DanoobieDanoobie Member Posts: 95 Member
    Hornady Critical Defense.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file