Rimmed cases are easy to headspace- - - - - -

TeachTeach Senior MemberPosts: 17,913 Senior Member
I'm getting an off the wall idea for a wildcat cartridge. How about a NEF single shot chambered in 6.5-.303 Brit? Lop off a .44 Mag NEF barrel just ahead of the pivot lug, bore and thread the remainder for a 6.5 barrel blank, and let Dave Manson work his magic on an "improved" .303 chamber reamer with most of the body taper straightened out, a sharp shoulder angle, maybe 35 degrees, and a neck just long enough to get a good grip on a .264 bullet. The extractor/ejector system ought to work with little, if any modifications needed. Sounds like a fun single shot to me!
Jerry
Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite

Comments

• RocketmanRocketman Banned Posts: 1,118 Senior Member
    Is 7.62x54r brass easier to come by?
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,523 Senior Member
    That would be a lot of work to make a rimmed 6.5 Sweed! But there would be a cool factor!!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,551 Senior Member
    6.5 x 303 Epps, at least as a starting point....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,913 Senior Member
    Rocketman wrote: »
    Is 7.62x54r brass easier to come by?

Yep, but a lot less case capacity.
    Jerry
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,337 Senior Member
    Too bad NEF never made a 6.5mm, then it would just be a rechamber and go shootin!

SSK has a whole line of rimmed cats, but I believe they're on the .225 Win, 30-30 and 444. What's the capacity like in a 303?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,474 Senior Member
    Let me know if you need any .303. Saw a couple of boxes at Cabela's.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    I've got a little bit of once-fired brass stashed away for building purposes. I'd probably have to make a set of loading dies for a cartridge like that. I hear that it's possible to use a "roughing" chamber reamer to cut an acceptable-dimension sizing die from a piece of tool steel, then case-harden it when it's done. Never tried it, but there's a first time for everything! Then use the finish reamer to make the bullet seating die.
    Jerry
    What's the capacity like in a 303?

It's pretty close to a .30-06, considerably bigger than a .30-30 and somewhat larger than a 7.62X54. Going to a sharp-shouldered "improved" shape with the shoulder moved forward a little and just enough body taper to make extraction possible with a spring type extractor would add a bit of volume, as well.
    Jerry
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,561 Senior Member
    What's the capacity like in a 303?
    Using the QL defaults
    303 -56gr h20 which is identical to the 308 win
    it lists the 7.62x54R's capacity @ 64gr h20 and the 30-06 at 68.2
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Jerry i haven't looked for years, but i remember coming across die blanks online, to do just what you are talking about, rougher for FL, finish for seater. I'll see if i can dig those up.

Catting the 303 is fairly popular in Australia, so those dies may already have a print somewhere
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Using the QL defaults
    303 -56gr h20 which is identical to the 308 win
    it lists the 7.62x54R's capacity @ 64gr h20 and the 30-06 at 68.2

Lots of taper in the 303, bet you could improve that up x54R lebels.

307/356 win brass could work, too. But, surplus 303 brass is possibly cheap and easy to aquire
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,332 Senior Member
    Surplus military .303 brass is Berdan primed.

I like the .303 just fine. I'm boring and don't need a super thumper.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,468 Senior Member
    Sounds like a FUN project to me! That would stretch out the range of a 6.5mm and a rimmed cartridge would solve that stupid extractor problem nicely.

Here's two places that sell die blanks for reaming your own reloading dies. (Enabling the project! :tooth:)

http://www.sinclairintl.com/aspx/Search/Default.aspx?cid=5675&avs|Die%20Style_1=Die%20Blanks

http://rcbs.com/Products/Dies-by-Category/Blank-Die.aspx
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

Die blanks- - - - -who needs 'em? They haven't stopped making 7/8" diameter annealed drill rod, have they?
    Jerry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file