Flood insurance

2»

Comments

  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,384 Senior Member
    I'm on the MS Gulf Coast right now with a school group. I was just talking to a lady who lives here about flood ins. She said that's only about $400 for her house, which is between the railroad tracks and I10. However, wind insurance is $2000/yr.

    The big problem down here was the wind vs water debate with the insurance companies: Were homes destroyed/damaged by wind or by water? Evidently a lot of people didn't have "hurricane" coverage.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,638 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »
    I'm on the MS Gulf Coast right now with a school group. I was just talking to a lady who lives here about flood ins. She said that's only about $400 for her house, which is between the railroad tracks and I10. However, wind insurance is $2000/yr.

    The big problem down here was the wind vs water debate with the insurance companies: Were homes destroyed/damaged by wind or by water? Evidently a lot of people didn't have "hurricane" coverage.


    I see or hear something like this and it's no wonder to me that most people wouldn't piss in an insurance executive's mouth if his teeth were on fire. Throw lawyers in with that too.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,695 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Two old guys are sitting on a park bench passing the time.
    One says to the other " Had a fire last week, completely razed the house to the ground. Insurance company paid out $400,000 in settlement".

    Second guy says " I had a flood last week, completely destroyed the house. Insurance company paid out $600,00 in settlement".

    After 5 minutes silence the first guy turns to the second guy and whispers quietly " How do you start a flood?"

    Oh, that's easy, just get about 10 sticks a dynamite and blow the local dam!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,695 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »
    I'm on the MS Gulf Coast right now with a school group. I was just talking to a lady who lives here about flood ins. She said that's only about $400 for her house, which is between the railroad tracks and I10. However, wind insurance is $2000/yr.

    The big problem down here was the wind vs water debate with the insurance companies: Were homes destroyed/damaged by wind or by water? Evidently a lot of people didn't have "hurricane" coverage.

    Yep in hurricane land that's the big argument. The insurance companies used to try to blame the damage on the water and they didn't cover water unless you had flood insurance. You want to blame somebody think Insurance companies. You pay em Big Premiums for years and never use it. Then along comes a Carla or a Katrina and they try to duck and run.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,695 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    I see or hear something like this and it's no wonder to me that most people wouldn't piss in an insurance executive's mouth if his teeth were on fire. Throw lawyers in with that too.


    You got it! Rght on! Now we agree on something! Insurance executives are the Scum of the Earth in my opinion.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,638 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Yep in hurricane land that's the big argument. The insurance companies used to try to blame the damage on the water and they didn't cover water unless you had flood insurance. You want to blame somebody think Insurance companies. You pay em Big Premiums for years and never use it. Then along comes a Carla or a Katrina and they try to duck and run.


    Well, in their defense, over that same period of time they had to pay your relatives thirteen times for flood damage and refusing to move, so....

    It all evens out, right?
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,695 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Well, in their defense, over that same period of time they had to pay your relatives thirteen times for flood damage and refusing to move, so....

    It all evens out, right?

    Nope. That wasn't a private insurance company that paid my relatives. That was the Government.

    Not that that warms my heart, but it's a fact of life.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,217 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Nope. That wasn't a private insurance company that paid my relatives. That was the Government.

    Not that that warms my heart, but it's a fact of life.

    So its OK when other people pay the freight, but its bad when the ones who are dumb enough to live in a area that floods every other year have to pony up and share the responsibility with other people living in a flood plain?

    Insurance is sharing responsibility, a fact of life. You can take it or not, your choice. I dont get a choice, not living in a flood plain or a tornado zone, about getting to pay for stupid people after having to pay in with a gun to my head.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,638 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Nope. That wasn't a private insurance company that paid my relatives. That was the Government.

    Not that that warms my heart, but it's a fact of life.

    It wasn't the government, and that's what I've been telling you. It was you and me and the rest of us. Your relatives too, but they were the only ones who should have been paying.

    Think of it this way: If this was done through a normal insurance plan, after the say, third flooding the company would tell them their premiums were going WAY up or they weren't going to be covered at all. As things currently sit, we finally got to put their house on a platform in order to finally quit paying for flood restoration. I suppose that's a good thing in a way...
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file