New/Old A5 Sweet 16 draws blood

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,182 Senior Member
I've been turkey hunting with my new 1949 Browning A5 Sweet 16 bought from my buddy. My buddy got a really nice gobbler on Sunday morning. I've been close a couple times this week. This evening I had four jakes come in. Picked out one at 22 yards and tripped the trigger and sent a loud of #4's his way. The ole gun delivered a devastating head shot with only 1 pellet in the breast.

I love this new gun, this is quickly becoming my favorite shotgun! Tomorrow is a new day and I have three turkey tags left!

Turkey.jpg
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Comments

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,652 Senior Member
    good hunting
    My new Signature
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    The old hump back can still bring it.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,968 Senior Member
    Well done.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,375 Senior Member
    I need to get some scouting done this weekend, nicely done. What's up with the white gloves?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,710 Senior Member
    Congrats Jeff! I fell in love with mine when I picked it up the first time. What choke is your barrel? Mine's full but I wonder if you can have it opened up to Modified without it messing it up? I wonder if you could do this on a lathe?

Anyhow they don't call it sweet for nuthin!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,335 Senior Member
    Great job, Congrats
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,182 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Congrats Jeff! I fell in love with mine when I picked it up the first time. What choke is your barrel? Mine's full but I wonder if you can have it opened up to Modified without it messing it up? I wonder if you could do this on a lathe?

Anyhow they don't call it sweet for nuthin!

It came with two full choke barrels (*) indicating full choke. One was marked *168 the other *168/169. I'm using the 25" fill length rib barrel. The other barrel is a 27" non rib both barrels are made in Belgium. I didn't pattern the gun just decided to keep to 35 yards or so.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,605 Senior Member
    Nicely done Jeff :worthy:

Now when are you going to break out the "Krylon Camo" line ( http://www.krylon.com/products/camouflage-kit/ ) and "fix" the looks of that A5? :rotflmao: Sarcasm.gif

ETA: and if you do, you'll deserve this anim_nutkick.gif
    :tooth:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    Nicely done Jeff :worthy:

Now when are you going to break out the "Krylon Camo" line ( http://www.krylon.com/products/camouflage-kit/ ) and "fix" the looks of that A5? :rotflmao: Sarcasm.gif

NEVER! That would be sacrilegious! This baby is staying as is!

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 2,965 Senior Member
    That old dog does hunt! Congrats.

Sako
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,717 Senior Member
    Beautiful! Great work putting that old gun to good use, Jeff!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,105 Senior Member
    Good job! And a great reminder that you don't need a massive gauge nuclear blaster to successfully take down gobblers.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Good job! And a great reminder that you don't need a massive gauge nuclear blaster to successfully take down gobblers.

Amen to that. I killed most of mine with low brass 12 ga. number 6s I hand loaded on my old Lee Load All.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,605 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    :applause:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Jeff in TX wrote: »

I'll make you an agreement right now, you don't Bubba yours and I won't Bubba mine.

That should be a hangin' offense.
    snake284 wrote: »
    I'll make you an agreement right now, you don't Bubba yours and I won't Bubba mine.

That should be a hangin' offense.

Agreed and true!

• 6EQUJ5 - WOW!6EQUJ5 - WOW! Banned Posts: 482 Member
    Sweet! Wish my health was better as I sure miss going hunting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file