Goat cull no 3 and Kiwi Hi Tech Hunting.......

orchidmanorchidman Senior MemberPosts: 7,309 Senior Member
Finally moved into Hi Tech Hunting Kiwi style.

Headed back to Gisborne with BH last tuesday to cull goats as the new pines are going to be planted soon.

When we packed, BH and I both included a wireless sentry sensor/receiver set in our kit. ( Neither of us was aware that the other was bringing one btw)

Fast forward to thursday. We had already tallied a total of around 50 goats and were heading back to camp when we spied a couple of goats on a knob about 600m away. Initially we were going to leave them for friday but we decided to head over there and shake them up a bit.
After climbing an adjacent hill we counted 6 goats which were feeding just above a cleared track on the side of the hill, so we positioned ourselves around 150m away and decided to do a 3-2-1 countdown ( sniper style) .
BH started the countdown and on '1' we both fired. His shot was a clean kill.......... because my timing was slightly out, my target moved and instead of a shoulder shot I hit my billy slightly aft in the spine, anchoring it to the spot. As the goats milled around, one of the smaller ones ran until he was in a direct line with the wounded goat. On my second shot I killed the smaller one and the 120gr sierra did a complete pass through before fatally hitting the wounded one and finishing it off. ( And yes I did try to attempt the double)

BH meantime killed 2 more leaving one of the original 6 still standing. When the last one climbed up on top of a pine stump and faced us I sent my third shot into the chest killing it instantly and literally blowing it off its perch. . From first to last shot was only about 3-5 seconds
We wandered over to where the goats were and noticed that there was very fresh pig rooting where they had died. We then hatched a plan so cunning that you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel!
We repositioned the carcases so that we had a clear view from our original shooting position and split them open to allow them to start the process of rotting etc.
We then returned to the scene the following afternoon to see if the carcases had been touched..........and sure enough one of them showed signs that a pig had enjoyed a meal the night before.

We then headed back to camp, picked up my sentry alert transmitter/receiver kit, returned to the scene and after placing a post near the carcases we placed the sender unit in a position where it overlooked the scene. I then returned to our original position so that we could check that the receiver was in range. When BH walked past the carcases the receiver picked up his movement and beeped. ( these things only have a range of about 90 metres so it was a surprise that at 144m it worked properly)
Everything was set. After an early meal we returned to the scene about an hour before sunset ( about 5.15pm) and worked out what we would do if the alert went off. Because BH has younger eyes we decided he would be the shooter while I would operate my H14R Lenser to light up the scene.
Then we sat and waited............and waited until the sun had gone and it was complete darkness. There was just enough starlight to see a tall pine silhouetted against the skyline to fix the position of the carcases.
At about 7pm we decided to give it 30 more minutes then return to camp, have a hot drink and come back to spend the night waiting for the pig.
At 7.10pm BH nudges me with his elbow and whispers "The sensor just went off"

As we moved into shooting position it went off a second time. BH got down behind his Sako 75 in 7mm08 which was sitting on its bipod already lined up on the carcases and I took up a standing position slightly to his right within touching distance. When he was settled in he tapped my leg with his elbow to indicate he was ready.......I then took off my headlamp, covered it with my hand, turned it on and lined it up with the dead goats. I then checked he was ready and at his whispered yes I uncovered the light.

Bingo!! The pig was standing broadside on completely obscuring the 2 white goat carcases.... He turned his head slightly and his right eye glowed giving BH a reference point and BH sent a 120gr sierra into its right side shoulder. At the shot we both heard the 'whomp' of a good hit and the pig went from a standing start into overdrive and disappeared into the waist high scrub below the goats. BH then told me it was a big boar as he had seen its tusks and called the shot as just behind its shoulder. ( Which was borne out when we inspected the boar later)

We waited for a few minutes then walked over to find a blood trail leading into the scrub. A quick look over the bank showed no sign of the pig and there was a natural reluctance from both of us to head into the scrub in case he was still alive. I decided to step off first and without even a " Hold my beer and watch this" I chambered a round and gently parting the scrub with the Tikka's barrel I took a couple of steps off the bank then waited for any sound/movement. After a few seconds I took 2 more steps and stopped again. Visibility was about 5 feet. 2 more steps and there was a gap directly in front of a small bush which was growing next to a large log. As I stepped into the gap I could see something black behind the log so I whispered to BH that I could see him. With the rifle held on what I thought was his head I took another step and then saw his leg............and realised that the Tikka barrel was lined up on his ass. A quick readjustment of my aim and I touched the barrel to the top of his head and gave it a quick push, ready to squeeze the trigger if he so much as twitched.
He then reared up on his back legs and lunged over the stump at me before I could even squeeze the trigger....................giving me visions of being torn apart and causing me to have an involuntary bowel movement and squeal like a little girl......................................

Pt 2 to follow.......
Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....


  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,309 Senior Member
    Pt 2............

    Actually, he didnt move at all as he was DRT. ........But if he had moved I would have probably done the above.
    It took both of us to drag him the 10-15 yds back on the track, he was a heavy mother!
    The bullet entered just behind the right shoulder, punched its way through his shield and a rib, passed through both lungs clipping the heart, punched through another rib before coming to a rest against the shield on the off side. He managed to run about 15 yds before going down.
    Projectile was a 120g Sierra pushed by Varget. Retained weight when recovered was 89.3 gr.

    On Saturday BH and I teamed up with Bh’s brother and one of his mates in a planned ambush to deal to a couple of large mobs of goats. Also along for the ride was a German tourist (Wilf) and a guy called Joe from Michigan.
    After working out the timing BH Wilf and I were dropped off at the head of a large gully ( BH and Wilf on the northern side with me on the southern side.) There we waited for about 45 mins while Bh’s brother, his hunting buddy and Joe headed by a roundabout route to cut the goats off at the bottom.
    As we walked down the ridges either side of the gully I ended up being ‘Bluffed’ and had to climb back up the ridge……I finally found a route down to where the action was going to be to the sound of what appeared to be WWIII starting. I figured that I had missed most of the action judging by the shooting going on………..but as I climbed a small ridge near the bottom I looked over into a basin and saw 3 small mobs of goats, one group of 8, one of 7 and one of 5.
    After checking where the others were and making sure my field of fire was clear I set up the T3 7mm08 on its bipod, placed a box of 120gr handloads next to it and then ranged the 3 mobs of goats at between 130 and 280yds away.
    Picking out the furthurest group ( 8) which were attempting to break back up the hill I took the rearmost goat as the first target and dropped him in his tracks. The mob then started heading uphill at an angle towards me from right to left and I picked off the rearmost animals until I dropped the leader at about 180yds with a chest shot.

    I then turned slightly to my right to see the group of 5 milling around about 150yds away. After dropping the lead Billy I took the remaining 4 with 5 shots. Thinking that the 3rd group had flown the coop I stood up to see that the first billy of the second group had got up and was running to my right , obviously wounded. I couldn’t get a shot to finish him off as he was now inline with where I thought BH’s brother was.

    As I peered over the ridge I spied the 3rd mob ( 7) all trying to hide under a small clump of bushes about 160yds away. Settling down behind the T3 I picked off the only one I had a clear shot at and he went down. The others broke and started heading up the hill and by picking off the last one in succession I managed to take them all.
    All the action took place over a period of 6 minutes or so and when I picked up the T3 the barrel was too hot to touch.
    Luckily I had had the foresight to bring the 2 3 shot mags that came with the T3 plus the 5 shot mag from the T3 super varmint which cut down on reloading time……..but even then I had to hustle to keep the T3 fed. 19 goats with 24 shells at ranges from 140 to 280yds. ( 3 complete misses and 2 ‘finishers’)
    After policing the brass I started to head back to meet up with the others.

    As I walked back over the ridge I saw the wounded billy peering around a rock below me………..I couldn’t take the shot however as about 15 deg to his right and 200yds beyond him I could see BH’s brother and his mate. ( BH finished him off when his brother pointed him out while I stayed behind the shoulder of the hill I was on)
    As I crossed a small basin with what appeared to be a sheer cliff on the other side, a mob of 9 goats came out from a depression and started to climb the cliff. After checking to see that the others were clear I threw my pack down, set the rifle up on top of it with the bipod and ranged the tail end charlie at 173 yds. Sent the shot away and at the hit the goat fell off the track they were climbing in single file and bounced off every rock on the way down before dropping into the basin, landing about 60yds from me.
    The trail they were on zigzagged back and forth across the cliff face and I managed to pick off the tail end charlie as they switched directions until finally there was only the lead billy left and I had run out of ‘readily accessible ammo’. By the time I managed to fumble more cartridges out of my pack he was about 250yds above me at about a 60 deg angle. In my defense at missing him with the next 3 shots I can only say that the angle was so steep I couldn’t get low enough behind the rifle to get a comfortable shooting position and had my head and neck craned up at in such a position that it bloody well hurt.

    As I stood up to ease my neck and shoulders, One of the guys yelled out over the walkie talkie “ To your right on top of that rock”. I turned and looked to my right and there was another billy about 180 yds above me on a rocky outcrop with only his head and part of his shoulder showing. After running to a small clump of rocks about 15 yds away I managed to get a good position and sent a 120gr Sierra into the portion of his shoulder I could see and he tumbled from his perch DRT.
    At the shot I looked beyond him and saw a single billy about twice the distance standing highlighted on the top of a small cliff with a big ridge behind him. I figured that with the 7mm08 sighted in at 200 and the steep uphill angle I wouldn’t need much holdover so taking a spot about 3” above his head I sent the shot away. WHOOMP………..and he tumbled off the outcrop falling about 100yds down the cliff face. I then ranged the rock outcrop at 361 yds.
    BH had opened the party when he came across a mob of goats and handed the rifle to Wilf to give him the first shot. Wilfs first shot was a clean kill at 100yds and between them they managed to clean up about the same number as me. All up we took about 90 animals during a frantic 25-30 minute period.
    Total tally for the 5 days was approx 130 goats.

    The best shot over the 5 days was taken by BH.

    We had come across a mob of 5+ goats sunning themselves on a hillside. I picked out a big black billy and sent a 120gr Sierra into his head at around 140yds, then managed to shoot another five as they beat a retreat from their sunbathing spot. Looking further down the steep gully we were in, we saw a big billy accompanied by a smaller one standing on a grassy mound. I ranged the big billy at 457yds and BH settled himself down behind his Sako 75 7mm08. After some discussion about the wind, BH sent the shot away. I initially thought he had missed due to the delay between the noise and the hit but the shot was perfect and the billy was poleaxed to the ground. Considering it was a downhill shot at about 40+ deg and there was a 10mph wind blowing from right to left I figured he won the prize for the most difficult shot by a long margin.
    I do apologise for the lack of pics/video. I had both the still and movie camera with me for the trip but with the weather being inclement I was reluctant to test their weatherproof claims. The other drawback is that it is difficult to get good footage unless you dedicate your time to taking video’s….which means you don’t do much shooting…..and the whole purpose of the trip was to cull as many goats as possible.

    With all the crap going on at home I needed the break and spending time on the hill with a rifle and in the company of BH was just what I needed to clear my head and do some serious thinking before coming home to tackle problems.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Sounds more like an African safari.
    No pic of your facial expression when he came over the stump? :jester:

    Part 2 is even better.
    Alot of action all at once. Great marksmanship!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,309 Senior Member
    I do have to tell you about a funny incident that occurred..........
    BH and I decided to head down to the beach and walk up one of the steep ridges in search of goats.
    After finding a suitable ridge that, although steep, looked climbable we started heading up. About 100yds into the climb my right calf muscle started cramping and I lagged behind by about 30yds. I then chose to walk through the scattered scrub on the ridge instead of the edge where it dropped off.
    BH stopped about 150 yds into the climb and waited as I slowly bashed my way up to his position. When I got there he asked why I was so slow. ( At the time I was wearing my rangefinder bino's around my neck and had my left hand on my chest stopping them from banging against my body)
    I said ( between trying to catch my breath) " My calf is cramping up". He gave me a funny look and said " You wait here then while I go on ahead"

    We then had a discussion about whether to go back or continue and I won the day by convincing him to keep going.

    He climbed about another 150yds then found a vantage point where he could see up the gully as I slowly made my way up to him.
    When I get there he gives me another funny look and then asks " How is your heart"?

    I said " What the hell are you on about"

    Seems that he misheard me and thought that I had said "My heart was cramping up"

    Between trying to get my breath back, dealing with cramp and laughing so much I damn near lost my footing and fell back down to the bottom of the ridge.

    He explained that he had visions of me collapsing on the hill with heart attack and he was trying to figure out if he needed to activate his emergency beacon........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Maybe hearing aids added to the high tech equipment?:popcorn:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,597 Senior Member
    Sounds like a much needed reprieve from the stressors on the home-front. :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,968 Senior Member
    Fun times!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • 6EQUJ5 - WOW!6EQUJ5 - WOW! Banned Posts: 482 Member
    Great story. So you're from New Zealand? That's pretty cool. I didn't know you could own firearms there. Looks like a beautiful country.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,335 Senior Member
    Great write up, wish you could have gotten pics of the goats, but understand about the weather.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,548 Senior Member
    Nothing like a good old-fashioned goat killing....Great story!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,716 Senior Member
    Dude, what a couple a days! Way to turn the goat cull into a quality pig hunt, too. I'm jealous of this one.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,309 Senior Member
    I have an apology to make to BH.

    His 457 yd shot was taken with his Sako in 300 win Mag..........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,597 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    I have an apology to make to BH.

    His 457 yd shot was taken with his Sako in 300 win Mag..........
    STILL....... that is one hell of a shot :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,339 Senior Member
    Sounds like a great time! Are those goats any good to eat?
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,095 Senior Member
    Great story and that's one big piggy!!!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,139 Senior Member
    Great story! Good times .
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,708 Senior Member
    Alec, you lucky guy! Those are two of my favorite animals not only to hunt but eat. Do you eat the goats? We BBQ 'em here. When I used to deer hunt out at Junction TX I killed a few goats. Now I wouldn't shoot one if there was a chance at a deer, but when I had my tag full or the deer were scarce, I would shoot targets of opportunity, and usually had an opportunity at a goat. Goats and pigs BBQ up right nice.

    Anyway, great shooting!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file