Water issues, water meter, leak question

alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior MemberPosts: 7,852 Senior Member
I vaguely remember someone posting something about a water bill or water leak recently. Does anyone remember who it was or am I just imagining things? I tried to search the archives but my search fu must be off today.
"Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
-DoctorWho

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I think its in the endless thread. One a the guys with a ranch or farm.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,012 Senior Member
    Easy, your side of the meter, you're problem.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,979 Senior Member
    Post # 22225 on the "brick of 22 ammo" thread, 03/25/2017

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,500 Senior Member
    That was me. Rental house. Meter reader left a note that line was leaking on our side of the meter. The note blew into the bushes and I didn't find it for two weeks.

I repaired it (30 minutes and a trip to Ace Hardware) and took a receipt of parts and a picture of repair to the water office and they refunded the sewage portion of our bill since it didn't go to the treatment plant. Still paid a couple hundred on water.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,782 Senior Member
    the sewage portion is about all that will be dropped.
    I have a need for speed
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,852 Senior Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    That was me. Rental house. Meter reader left a note that line was leaking on our side of the meter. The note blew into the bushes and I didn't find it for two weeks.

I repaired it (30 minutes and a trip to Ace Hardware) and took a receipt of parts and a picture of repair to the water office and they refunded the sewage portion of our bill since it didn't go to the treatment plant. Still paid a couple hundred on water.
    Gotcha. Thanks! That's annoying but better than the problem we're dealing with here. Hundreds of people all around the county are getting random, unexplained high water bills. Like triple to quadruple normal. Most have found no leaks and the problem "resolves itself" in a billing cycle or two. County has no answers and when there's no leak they just assume you used that much water even though there's no logical explanation for the use....Like filling multiple swimming pools worth of extra water....during the winter. What's more when I researched there are news stories from at least a dozen other cities dealing with similar sporadic random phantom water use. Virtually every city had installed new electonic meters within a few years of the problems surfacing. It is almost certainly a meter issue, the problem is it appears to be intermittent and doesn't seem like it can be easily replicated under controlled conditions. In the end it looks like thousands of people around the country are getting screwed.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,782 Senior Member
    It is electronic jamming on the meter reading circuits
    EA-6B's on cross-country flights with their jammers operating.

Program was started by the Obama Administration to fund his private army.
    I have a need for speed
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,500 Senior Member
    Find out what days your reader makes his rounds, and check the numbers yourself.

Ours has the wireless sending unit on it, but it also has the numbers

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,712 Senior Member
    They had the same issues with those digital electric meters they forced on folks around the country a few years ago. They were supposed to be the cats meow and give precise readings. Folks were suddenly getting bills 2X or more what they usually had over the past ones. At first, their excuse was they were so accurate the readings were "True".

Then they said certain manufacturers were the cause and admitted there were issues.............it took a while, but they finally got them working right.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,422 Senior Member
    Again from the other side of the isle... When you manufacture and install millions of wireless meters there are bound to be a handful of units that have issues. The problem is how the utilities deals with it, usually as a "you are guilty unless you prove yourself innocent" attitude. It's good to be a monopoly.

But in the end these systems are still millions of times more accurate than the old human going from house to house with a pencil and paper...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • 6EQUJ5 - WOW!6EQUJ5 - WOW! Banned Posts: 482 Member
    jbp-ohio wrote: »

Holy crap! A two hundred dollar water bill? Guess I've been in the sticks too long.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 2,850 Senior Member
    Holy crap! A two hundred dollar water bill? Guess I've been in the sticks too long.

Same here. Things like this make me glad I'm on a well.
    What is this "water bill" thing of which you speak? :uhm: My water system consists of a hole 300 feet deep, a submersible pump, and about a hundred feet of buried pipe! I average replacing the pump about every 10 years or so, and half a dozen pressure switch changes between pump swaps.
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    What is this "water bill" thing of which you speak? :uhm: My water system consists of a hole 300 feet deep, a submersible pump, and about a hundred feet of buried pipe! I average replacing the pump about every 10 years or so, and half a dozen pressure switch changes between pump swaps.
    Jerry

Really? Dang. My well was drilled in 1996 and the only thing that's ever been replaced on it was the pressure tank, around 2009 or so. Pump is still the original one that was put in. Of course, the well is only 120 feet deep, too. The only reason my pressure tank went bad was because it was a fiberglass tank with a rubber bladder inside it. The bladder formed a leak and the tank wouldn't hold air, causing the well to surge on and off. New metal tank, and not a problem since.

It is nice not having a water bill. Gotta plan for electricity outages, but a generator takes care of that really easy.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,852 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Again from the other side of the isle... When you manufacture and install millions of wireless meters there are bound to be a handful of units that have issues. The problem is how the utilities deals with it, usually as a "you are guilty unless you prove yourself innocent" attitude. It's good to be a monopoly.

But in the end these systems are still millions of times more accurate than the old human going from house to house with a pencil and paper...

Agree on all counts.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    -DoctorWho
    Deep wells drilled in limestone have a habit of wearing out submersible pump impellers. Also, when we were the last residence on the end of the power line, lightning strikes loved to use my well as a grounding device. I've had two pump motors fused into a solid blob of copper and steel alloy by lightning!
    Jerry
    Teach wrote: »
    Deep wells drilled in limestone have a habit of wearing out submersible pump impellers. Also, when we were the last residence on the end of the power line, lightning strikes loved to use my well as a grounding device. I've had two pump motors fused into a solid blob of copper and steel alloy by lightning!
    Jerry

That makes sense. Ours are drilled through clay and into sand underneath and have never had a lightning problem. We can get to water at about 30-40 feet. Usually keep going to get to better water. The other well is 160 feet. They hit another clay bank just after 100 feet and kept going through it. Much better water. Still considering setting it up as the water supply well. All we use it for now is watering the yard.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file