Kimber Micro 9

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 13,543 Senior Member
FIL stopped by the house on his way back from Grand Rapids to the wilds of the U.P. . He had stopped at Cabela's and picked up a Kimber Micro 9. It was the end result of his quest for something smaller than the Beretta .40 S&W he's been carrying. In this case he took "small" to a whole new level....this thing is smaller than my wife's LC9.…
My first impression was...."Oh look! A baby 1911! " While I'm not a huge fan of 9mms.....I think I could find a place in my life for one...

http://www.kimberamerica.com/micro-9-desert-tan-lg

My only regret is letting him get out of the house without running a couple of magazines through it....
Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Comments

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,152 Senior Member
    Did it feel in size about like a Colt Mustang .380.......?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,543 Senior Member
    Similar...the Kimber is a half inch longer...but much better ergonomics, fit & finish than the Colt...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Be a hoot to shoot, I reckon. Probably take some gettin used to.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,242 Senior Member
    We have a Kimber micro 380 that my Wife carries. I have been eyeing the nine because we both like the 380. Then Springfield came out with their new model with a hammer so I am going to look at it first but It will have to be really nice for me to like it as much as the Kimber.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 1,969 Senior Member
    We have a Kimber micro 380 that my Wife carries. I have been eyeing the nine because we both like the 380. Then Springfield came out with their new model with a hammer so I am going to look at it first but It will have to be really nice for me to like it as much as the Kimber.
    Take a look at the Springfield EMP, or did you already? No complaints with mine and about the same size/weight as the Kimber and probably more reliable.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,027 Senior Member
    Take a look at the Springfield EMP, or did you already? No complaints with mine and about the same size/weight as the Kimber and probably more reliable.

Never, ever have had a function problem with my Kimber(s)
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,474 Senior Member
    Is it as small as my Sig P938?

z3KJxZA.jpg
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    pjames777 wrote: »
    Never, ever have had a function problem with my Kimber(s)

I have several friends who have had less than stellar performance from the Kimbers they used to have.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,066 Senior Member
    I've been looking for a 9mm "belly gun" for a while. No real need so my eyes keep going off the ball, but lately it seems God keeps pushing the Micro 9 under my nose just about every day and the price vs the EMP is very compelling. I do wish you'd put a couple of mags through his. I would love the opinion of someone I trust.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    I have several friends who have had less than stellar performance from the Kimbers they used to have.
    Over the years I've owned probably over a dozen Kimber products, all of them stellar performers. There are two Kimber 1911s in my night stand as we speak (a 3" and a 4") which constantly go into my CC rotation. Both run flawlessly.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    I think certain Kimber guns gave some folks some issues a while back. Some say they had to be "Broken In" and wanted something that worked outta the box and kept on working.

Seems most of the complaints have died down from what they once were. Probably not the best pick for someone who only has one gun in case it needs some extra effort/ammo to get one humming along, I dunno.

Might have something to do with more experienced shooters able to overcome whatever burps a Kimber may have a lot quicker and easier than those who are Newfers to them and a 1911 style pistol too.

They make some nice pistols fer sure.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,629 Senior Member
    olesniper wrote: »

z3KJxZA.jpg

How does one get their hand on those? :uhm:
    My new Signature

Operator error IMHO
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Over the years I've owned probably over a dozen Kimber products, all of them stellar performers. There are two Kimber 1911s in my night stand as we speak (a 3" and a 4") which constantly go into my CC rotation. Both run flawlessly.

4" CDP Pro II is my DCW and it is a reliable tack driver that I use to shoot in IDPA a few years back. Everyone at the matches loved shooting it. Friends at the range love shooting it. Must have 40k rounds through it by now. Kimber says change barrel at 50K.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I think certain Kimber guns gave some folks some issues a while back. Some say they had to be "Broken In" and wanted something that worked outta the box and kept on working.

Seems most of the complaints have died down from what they once were. Probably not the best pick for someone who only has one gun in case it needs some extra effort/ammo to get one humming along, I dunno.

Might have something to do with more experienced shooters able to overcome whatever burps a Kimber may have a lot quicker and easier than those who are Newfers to them and a 1911 style pistol too.

They make some nice pistols fer sure.
    A few decades back Kimber experimented with external extractors an double stack mags in their 1911 lines. Things did not go great with either concept and they backed out of those models swiftly. From my wife's 1990s vintage pre-II UltraCarry to my fairly new UltraCarry II and Pro Crimson Carry II Kimber has been making world class 1911s for decades now. My son's (formerly mine) 25th year edition Kimber Custom is probably one of the most accurate guns I've ever fired, almost as good as my Wilson Combat CQB and certainly as reliable.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,687 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    A few decades back Kimber experimented with external extractors an double stack mags in their 1911 lines. Things did not go great with either concept and they backed out of those models swiftly.

That's because God was punhsining them for messing with Saint Johns design.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    That's because God was punhsining them for messing with Saint Johns design.
    'xactly... :cuss:
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    I do wish you'd put a couple of mags through his. I would love the opinion of someone I trust.

I was thinking the same......pull the mod card :jester:
    Weatherby wrote: »
    I do wish you'd put a couple of mags through his. I would love the opinion of someone I trust.

I was thinking the same......pull the mod card :jester:

Not often a lot of us here get a bit excited about some pistol someone hands us to look at, much less wanna shoot one............:tooth: :guns: :guns:
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,242 Senior Member
    My wife has had a few times of not going into battery when she loads it. I don't know if she is riding the slide a little or just not letting go at all the way back. I have tried to watch to figure it out but haven't yet and she is getting better at racking the slide. I have been impressed with the accuracy from such a small pistol.
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 980 Senior Member
    olesniper wrote: »

That's my daily CCW (the SAS mode) and love it! Night sights and similar 1911 features make it fit perfectly in my hand AND, back or front pocket. A bit snappy at the range because of the small grip but the scales help. Found easily for just under $500 and great accuracy on silhouettes out to 20 feet. An alternative to the Kimbers.

dscn1410.jpg
    The nicest place to be is in someone's thoughts,
    the safest place to be is in someone's prayers,
    and the very best place to be is....in the hands of God.
    pjames777 wrote: »
    Operator error IMHO

Doubtful.
    Doubtful.
    Maybe not but in order of preference I rely on my first hand experience first and then on the first hand experiences of those I trust. Once we get even once step removed from that I have a hard time taking other's opinions into account without having a solid base of facts to back them up. So saying that you've had "several friends" that have had less than stellar performance from the Kimbers without any specifics like type of problems, models, experience level of said friends etc. is a tough point to count on when making an assessment.

By the way "operator error" is definitely a big cause for grief with light aluminum framed 1911s and newer shooters and Kimber has its fair share of those in the lineup so when someone tells me they've had a thought time with a Kimber and I don't know them I also assume operator error.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,177 Senior Member
    I half way messed up on one of these. A LGS took one in on consignment and used was $700 OTD ... the owner put a couple mags thru it and didn't like it. I thought the price was high so I kept walking until another customer pegged on it being a Raptor and started dickering to which it the LGS owner said the consigner would take $650 if it were cash. After the Raptor thing came out I kinda wish I had looked a little closer.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file