Choosing Buckshot Loads for Home Defense

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    The new buffered loads with polymer powder to protect the shot, pattern pretty good. Disbursement from a short cylinder bore barrel happens fast after 10 to 12 yards. Not likely to here any complaints from an attacker hit hard from across a room.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,423 Senior Member
    Across the room, unless you live in a castle, most loads aren't going to spread and likely will act like a slug. At 15 yards, maybe so. There are data on Low Recoil 00 loads patterning lot better than high-brass loads. But these were at at longer range than home defense. Cop data.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    According to this, a 10 gauge 3 1/2 inch chambered Double barrel with open chokes and 000 buck should be as effective as it gets.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,654 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    According to this, a 10 gauge 3 1/2 inch chambered Double barrel with open chokes and 000 buck should be as effective as it gets.

I have rolled a coyote or two at near 50 yards with #4 Buck and a Dead Coyote choke....figure it will do fine closer in on a two-legged varmint....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • 303tom303tom Member Posts: 43 Member
    I use 2 & 3/4 inch # 4's in my 12 gauge, any thing else is just to large inside a house !..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gGCedWUkk8
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,651 Senior Member
    My Saiga 12ga AK47 is loaded with 8 copper plated 2 3/4" #4 buckshot. 40, 24 caliber bullets should convince any aggressor that he/she had chosen the wrong house.......robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,076 Senior Member
    I have 12ga reduced recoil 00 Buck and Slugs in mine.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,232 Senior Member
    Whatever you do think about using pattern your HD shotgun with it to know. I bought Federal's Flight Control Reduced Recoil LE 00 Buck w/ Flight Control. That stuff is REAL! It patterns at most half of what others do out of my M1S90 w/ 18.5" IC barrel. At 10 yards it is one big jagged hole. At 15 yards I can cover the 9 holes with my hand (and most times the shot cup). At 20 yards I can easily cover it with both hands. If I ever did have reason to use it inside my house (37' is my longest possible shot) which I think would like be under the 10 yard spread it would not be fun for what ever is on the receiving end as long as I aim fairly well ... a chunk will be taken out it.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Fat BillyFat Billy Senior Member Posts: 1,811 Senior Member
    Being an apartment dweller I use #6 3 inch goose loads for inside. The ammo holder on side of the receiver carries 3 #4 buck and 2 slugs. Number 6 is safer for neighbors and inside a small room is still devastating. If they hear a pump gun chamber a round and keep coming they need to be a fatality. :guns: Later,
    Fat Billy

Recoil is how you know primer ignition is complete.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,492 Senior Member
    My 12 Gauge Remington 1100 Tactical is loaded with either #4 Buckshot or BB shot, whichever is on sale. These sizes are large enough that even a few pellets will do a bang-up job on an adversary, and they also give me a lot more pellets per round than larger shot which improves my chances of a hit under stress or less than ideal conditions. They're also small enough that they won't over-penetrate indoors, or travel as far as larger shot outside if any of them find their way through a wall or window.
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,412 Senior Member
    I keep my HD shotgun stoked with 00 buck, reduced recoil. Since it holds 8 shells, I don't have an ammo carrier on it.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 313 Member
    2 3/4 00 buck, more specifically critical defense by hornady
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,255 Senior Member
    I dont load mine, I just rack the slide.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 2,850 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    I have 12ga reduced recoil 00 Buck and Slugs in mine.

Same here.

And I also have seen real improvements in pattern sizes with the Federal Flight Control loads on the range. While doing some training in Colorado last year, my cheap little 12ga wasn't patterning so well at 15 yards. Some of the guys there had the Flight Control loads and let me try some. Fixed the problem. I went to Walmart that evening and got a few boxes, just in case I needed them.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,293 Senior Member
    Running S&B 2 3/4" 00 Buck in my VEPR. I figure if I can't get it done in 10 rounds of that it wasn't meant to be.

timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Running S&B 2 3/4" 00 Buck in my VEPR. I figure if I can't get it done in 10 rounds of that it wasn't meant to be.

Choosing more buckshot loads delivered faster for home defense. :applause:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,149 Senior Member
    I was witness to a hunting accident in S.D. we were pheasant hunting, just as one guy shot another stepped out from behind some hay bales and got hit with a load of #6s, if memory servers me right the sheriff measured the distance at 88 yards, his face was a mess and some of the shot went thru his vest and shirt. he was taken to the hospital and was released the next day, no charge's were filed.

I mention this only because of the damage it did at that distance, it got me to thinking about buckshot in the house if i fired at an intruder and the shot went into another room where the kids or a guest was sleeping, since then i have loaded my 18" bbl. Mossberg with 2 3/4 #71/2 shot, I tested it at 10' as i thought that was the average distance i would shoot thru a door, it will penetrate the normal interior and 2 sheets of drywall. I have no problem with anyone using buckshot, but know whats on the other side of the guy your shooting at.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,293 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Choosing more buckshot loads delivered faster for home defense. :applause:

And it does it with very little recoil!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,232 Senior Member
    jaywapti wrote: »
    I mention this only because of the damage it did at that distance, it got me to thinking about buckshot in the house if i fired at an intruder and the shot went into another room where the kids or a guest was sleeping, since then i have loaded my 18" bbl. Mossberg with 2 3/4 #71/2 shot, I tested it at 10' as i thought that was the average distance i would shoot thru a door, it will penetrate the normal interior and 2 sheets of drywall. I have no problem with anyone using buckshot, but know whats on the other side of the guy your shooting at.

JAY

Jay, your point is valid with about any firearm. I was taught to try and use an upward angle so the trajectory would be on the rise if I missed or pulled a thru-n-thru if there is a risk to something behind your target. Thinking of basic geometry you try to take a low position where your aim is at an upward angle at your target and the round countinues upward and more likely over anything behind it. Example ... if I take cover on the far side of my bed in the master bedroom and the target comes to me when it enters the doorway (which I have a night light in the hall to make things easier) my crouching beside the bed puts my angle to where a high center mass shot would be maybe 6' before it struck the opposite hallway wall. If I stood straight up (no cover from the bed) and fired straight center mass your point would be so true for handgun or carbine or my shotgun with buck. I know you can't control 100% of a situation but you can so think of angles and what benefits you get. If you have stairs ... prone at the top is a damn good ambush. Your threat has to come up and you have decent cover from the framed structure of the stairs. Plan, try to lay out and learn the angles in your home to benefit you and your family ... home field advantage!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 577 Senior Member
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,492 Senior Member
    10canyon53 wrote: »
    I originally loaded with 00 Buck but after some careful thought I changed to the Winchester PDX1 Defender segmented slug. Here is the reason why: I believe I have better control over a single round at a time rather than a pattern of pellets. This should reduce the likelihood of a stray round going where I don't want it. What works for my situation is not necessarily the right choice for everybody. I live in a concrete block house in a subdivision of concrete block houses built in the 1950's and a stray slug would have to go through several layers of concrete block to be a danger to my neighbors. My delivery method of choice like timc is a VEPR-12 with a red dot/laser sight. The thumb activated laser is bore sighted in at 15 ft. which is the distance from my pre-selected ambush point to the front door. It is also about the same distance I am likely to have to shoot from pretty much anywhere in the house if not closer. My VEPR shoots 4 inch groups at 50 yards with this slug so I think in a home defense scenario I have a pretty good chance of hitting what I am aiming at. If I do hit an intruder, I guarantee he is going down. Center mass hit and he is going down instantly. A hit on an arm or leg would pretty much be an amputation. When the segmented slug hits a soft target if comes apart. This does two things: 1. It prevents over penetration. 2. It really messes up what it hits. The human body is 60% water. Here is a demonstration of what this slug does to watermelons and water filled soda bottles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlrtcVcAu4w (yes, my wife and I train to defend ourselves against watermelons and soda bottles) :roll2:

Well thought out, I won't argue with you. Just want to add a couple last considerations - windows. Your concrete block walls are proof against over-penetration, but should one of those slugs find a window, they might travel faster, further, and hit harder than desired. Also, should you miss, interior walls and doors will offer little resistance to what's beyond.

Gunfights rarely follow our practiced scripts. Especially at night, especially with moving targets, especially when they might be shooting back, especially when you're without eye and ear protection, especially when you're tired, groggy, adrenalized, frightened, unsure ... nevertheless, I think you'll do alright if God forbid it ever happens. At least you'll have the home field advantage over your adversary(ies).
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 577 Senior Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file