First fall coyote hunt this week

1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior MemberPosts: 1,536 Senior Member
Tried calling a couple sets Tuesday morning. A newly retired buddy accompanied me, he reminded me we drove all over the last time last winter without seeing anything.
Tuesday the weather was building up a rain and the wind finally blew hard enough to spoil it around 1030.
On our first set I caught a pair coming hard around 600 yards only to have them disappear into a draw ,never to reappear after about 16 minutes of calling using mostly a bird distress call. I waited a few after losing sight of them and fired up pup distress, after 6 minutes of that call I spotted a dark colored dog looking at me around 100 yards heading for the caller. I'm sure he caught me turning my head with the binocs scanning.
I told Eric there's one by the fence and squared up in the scope. The coyote was deciding that he should scoot about then and would not stop when I barked at him. Eric shot first and I saw the rear end of the coyote flinch in my scope as I pulled off as well. Ended not finding him, but was a good start for the new season just getting out and seeing the country.748823387387c7dc94bbf24544a7d10e.jpg he was shooting an AR s& w version and I brought my bolt action savage both in 223 for this hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,388 Senior Member
    I miss that country.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Hondo341Hondo341 Member Posts: 448 Member
    Beautiful country. Keep at it.
    "People are responsible to play a role in their own safety." Sheriff David Clarke 2016

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file