Should the NFL be allowed to keep their tax exempt status?

JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior MemberPosts: 6,077 Senior Member
I say no.

I saw a report on Fox News the other day that claimed that the NFL had tax exempt status. Also, President Trump has made several comments about revoking their tax exempt status. So, I have to assume it's true.

Why in the world would our tax code allow something like this? I know that it's a matter of lots and lots of lobbyists and paid off lawmakers, but there's not real reason for it that I can see.

I don't know if other sports leagues such as the NBA and MLB have the same status, but I suspect they do.

As a former president said, let them pay their fair share.
Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.

Replies

  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 357 Member
    I say yes, when all the mom and pop shops have tax exempt status, otherwise no. All around this country people are closing up shop because of the insane tax system, and the fact that a multi billion dollar corporation is tax exempt is a flipping joke. Hold them to higher standards and hold them accountable. Just goes to show you how broken our system actually is.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Should have never been exempt in the first place.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 357 Member
    If I had my say they would lose their FCC license as well and not be able to broadcast their liberal bull crap.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,917 Senior Member
    Here is the tax break that they are taking....

    http://nypost.com/2017/10/11/nfl-owners-have-made-millions-off-obscure-tax-break/

    Fair? Probably not, but it is what it is.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,077 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »

    I tend to take anything reported by snopes with a grain of salt.
    Jerry

    Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,607 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I tend to take anything reported by snopes with a grain of salt.

    Agree, Snopes used to be my go to place to check, but starting a few years back they became more and more skeptical and left leaning in facts.
    Sad that politics effected something that is fact based truth

    No wonder Mr. Goodell and team owners are holding meetings regarding this issue.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 991 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Should have never been exempt in the first place.

    :that: :agree:
    “If gun control laws actually worked, Chicago would be Mayberry!"
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,637 Senior Member
    Well. . .I think we should have Church of the Second Amendment status for those who spend more than "X" percent of their income on firearms and their accessories. . .

    Tax exempt status for a spectator sport that has zero value other than entertainment? What societal value does it hold beyond possibly being "Opiate of the Masses"? SCREW THAT!
    WWJMBD?

    "Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,404 Senior Member
    While I find professional sports a stupid waste of time, and the athletes to be a big bunch of whiney little bitches, they DO pump a lot of money into the economy. They create jobs for construction workers, service people, and the dude mopping piss off the men's room floor. It's a business, not unlike any other. If the people who forked out millions or billions get a tax break, that's probably ok considering the impact on the economy.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,917 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    I tend to take anything reported by snopes with a grain of salt.
    And I, Fox News and Donald Trump. Snopes is not the end all and be all, but I think they are right this time.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,917 Senior Member
    Snopes must be right. Fox is reporting the same thing.

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/10/nfls-tax-breaks-targeted-by-trump-look-at-leagues-tax-status-today.html

    So again? Why are we discussing the NFL's tax exempt status when they are not tax exempt?

    :roll:

    Do they have their little tax breaks? Yes. Do states and municipalities cut them tax breaks? Yes. Are they a federally tax exempt organization? No.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,404 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Snopes must be right. Fox is reporting the same thing.

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/10/nfls-tax-breaks-targeted-by-trump-look-at-leagues-tax-status-today.html

    So again? Why are we discussing the NFL's tax exempt status when they are not tax exempt?

    :roll:

    Do they have their little tax breaks? Yes. Do states and municipalities cut them tax breaks? Yes. Are they a federally tax exempt organization? No.
    Would you please quit letting facts get in the way of Internet lore? Sheesh.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,305 Senior Member
    Only football games I watch is the Legends Football League, formerly the Lingerie Football league. I won't watch the NFL until they take the field with short swords and shields. I want my bread and circuses regarding the NFL.

    On the tax thing, they do receive some breaks. As part of those sweetheart deals to move to a city, they city and or state build the stadium with tax dollars. And then the cities sometimes pay the property tax bill. If the NFL wants to move to a city then they should be responsible for the cost of the stadium, and all local and state taxes on the facility.

    And they enjoy being shielded from the antitrust laws. Try to start up a new NFL team somewhere without the NFL blessing and see how that goes.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)



  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,749 Senior Member
    I'm a firm believer that at a state level if a regional government wants to forego some tax revenue for the sake of local economic development they should be able to do so. At a Federal level NO Corporate, Charitable or Religious entity should be tax exempt. If it brings in revenue in ANY manner this revenue should be taxed at a reasonable rate. Way too many loopholes in the current Federal tax code.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,907 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer that at a state level if a regional government wants to forego some tax revenue for the sake of local economic development they should be able to do so. At a Federal level NO Corporate, Charitable or Religious entity should be tax exempt. If it brings in revenue in ANY manner this revenue should be taxed at a reasonable rate. Way too many loopholes in the current Federal tax code.

    I'm not aware of any profitable corporate entities that are exempt. The "tax break" is basically depreciation which pretty much all companies can do in one way or another. The law just specifies how that is done in the specific case of professional sports franchises (it applies to all sports, not just NFL).
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,907 Senior Member
    Axe wrote: »
    If I had my say they would lose their FCC license as well and not be able to broadcast their liberal bull crap.
    Because we really want to give the government more power to censor what gets on TV? Brilliant! Also I'm pretty sure the NFL doesn't need an FCC license. I could be wrong, but I think the FCC licenses the channels and cable systems, not specific programming.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,913 Senior Member
    I am in favor of state and local governments giving tax breaks to attract businesses that will benefit the communities. There is competition between them to attract teams, and competition is usually a good thing, depending upon how corrupt it becomes. But, when the feds do it, it becomes pork barrel politics.

    Goodell never mentioned following the written rules of the NFL, in regard to the national anthem and flag in over a year of this controversy....until Trump suggested that this topic might need to be revisited.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,614 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    At a Federal level NO Corporate, Charitable or Religious entity should be tax exempt. If it brings in revenue in ANY manner this revenue should be taxed at a reasonable rate. Way too many loopholes in the current Federal tax code.

    I disagree. First, clearly there are organizations that abuse the exemption and there should be a better way to ferret them out so they lose a tax exempt status. However, if a donation is tax exempt, taxing the charity that receives it defeats the purpose of the donation being tax exempt. Having said this there should be a strict test as to what makes a charity tax exempt, like no more than 15% of donations going to overhead expenses. In the case of churches, where pastoral care and community out reach is the service and exceeds the 15% rule, , there should be limits on the compensation to workers.

    IMHO

    D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file