Bed side, nightstand gun safes

terminator012terminator012 Senior MemberPosts: 2,762 Senior Member
Looking into getting my daughter one. I'm aware that the pistol on the night stand in the open is probably the quickest way to it. But living in an apartment with a roommate she is wanting one. I'm fairly certain that some grand kids are in the foreseeable future so it might not be a bad idea. There are several out there to choose from but I don't know much about them. Some use keys, some use a combination and some use fingerprints. Which method is best? Seems to me that the print method would be the fastest to open but I worry about this method working if it's ever needed. Any imput would be helpful because I'm clueless.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,825 Senior Member
    I'd lean towards the Hornady "RapidID" line
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,762 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I'd lean towards the Hornady "RapidID" line

Checking them out now, thanks.
    You're quite welcome. Youngest and his wife mentioned a desire for a handgun in the house before they moved. Having 4 kids, it's what I suggested for them.

They changed their minds and moved out of the bad neighborhood they were in, instead.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,782 Senior Member
    I have thought of night stand safes, but, with a woman in the house I do not believe it will work for long before
    she realizes all the other stuff that goes on a night stand and the safe conflict or it looks tacky.

While I believe in the need for a safe, I think a closet safe is better and use a bed holster at night and lock the gun in the safe
    during the day and when gone.

There are open holsters and those in a zip up case that attach to an angle iron like thing that slips between the mattress and the box spring
    and can be slipped out and also stored in the closet during the day.
    I have a need for speed
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,076 Senior Member
    I have one of the gunvault safes that I have near the bed. Works good, just make sure to swap out the batteries or keep it plugged in.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 947 Senior Member
    This has been on my nightstand for the last approx 6-7 years. It's very easy to open in the dark.

https://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-GV2000S-Multi-Vault-Standard/dp/B001XZZA6A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1511889731&sr=8-5&keywords=gunvault

I tried a couple of different biometric safes and they just didn't like my fingerprint. My wife could open it 100% of the time and for me it was a flip of a coin.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,498 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I have one of the gunvault safes that I have near the bed. Works good, just make sure to swap out the batteries or keep it plugged in.

I have only changed the batteries in mine twice in 10 years (it beeps when batteries are low). They are good for keeping little hands away, but you can pop one open with a screw driver.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    NN wrote: »
    I have thought of night stand safes, but, with a woman in the house I do not believe it will work for long before
    she realizes all the other stuff that goes on a night stand and the safe conflict or it looks tacky.

I have thought about that too. They will take up room on the nightstand. Worse thing to me is if they start setting stuff on it.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

Good to know.
    wddodge wrote: »
    This has been on my nightstand for the last approx 6-7 years. It's very easy to open in the dark.

https://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-GV2000S-Multi-Vault-Standard/dp/B001XZZA6A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1511889731&sr=8-5&keywords=gunvault

I tried a couple of different biometric safes and they just didn't like my fingerprint. My wife could open it 100% of the time and for me it was a flip of a coin.

Denny

I think the finger prints ones would be hit and miss. I want even use a fingerprint to unlock my phone. Going to take a look at the one in the link.
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I have only changed the batteries in mine twice in 10 years (it beeps when batteries are low). They are good for keeping little hands away, but you can pop one open with a screw driver.

Do they really open that easy with a screw driver?
  • SIGgalSIGgal Senior Member Posts: 1,660 Senior Member
    https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/field-stream-personal-fire-safe-small-17fnsufsprsnlfrprgua/17fnsufsprsnlfrprgua

I have this one, but for me it is a little overkill since I have no children and only have a few pistols at home including Jason's, and that is always on the nightstand anyway since he carries it every day. Mine isn't really a gun safe, but it is fire proof and serves to protect other valuables as well.
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    Cool. Now I can get the wife’s safe open to replace the battery
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,086 Senior Member

Wow. That "safe" is just a way to keep toddlers from getting into it.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    Wow. That "safe" is just a way to keep toddlers from getting into it.

That's not working on the Gunvault Microvault : http://www.gunvault.com/mv500-std-microvault.html
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I'll relay comments made by both my late paternal grandfather and my oldest step-son..
    Paw-Paw used to say..
    Locks only keep honest folks honest
    And Kevin, who works in IT says, quite accurately IMO...
    Security is an illusion

Wow. That looked easy.
    Thanks for all the replies. Decided on this one. Hope it works like they advertise.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/307534/hornady-rapid-safe-2600kp-l-personal-safe-with-rfid-lock-steel-black
  • Recklenz33Recklenz33 Posts: 10 New Member
    Not bad! Looks like a decent one. And also the decision is really good. Actually, a gun safe locker would be nice choices. I have 2 guns and a rifle. I always keep them in a locker when not to use them or for safety. 
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,782 Senior Member
    Not bad! Looks like a decent one. And also the decision is really good. Actually, a gun safe locker would be nice choices. I have 2 guns and a rifle. I always keep them in a locker when not to use them or for safety. 

Welcome aboard
    I have a need for speed
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 666 Senior Member
    I have a key lock model, dont know the brand. Put my keys in the lock at night, take em' out in the morning. Although the boys almost 13 now and I keep a carry gun here and there about the house and he knows where it is usually so I'm not sure why I still bother.
    If you can remember the brand name would be nice and helpful. Because I would like to a buy a new gun safe lockers. Though one of my friends suggested me to try on gun safe review pages. I reviewed few of them today and hopefully like this https://www.gunsafeguru.com/top-10-best-gun-safes/ Some of them are really good and the budget isn't so high. I would like to try that.

What do you think? Thanks! 
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 666 Senior Member
    If you can remember the brand name would be nice and helpful. Because I would like to a buy a new gun safe lockers. Though one of my friends suggested me to try on gun safe review pages. I reviewed few of them today and hopefully like this https://www.gunsafeguru.com/top-10-best-gun-safes/ Some of them are really good and the budget isn't so high. I would like to try that.

What do you think? Thanks! 
    I looked it over, dont see a name. Been a few years since I bought it, memory aint what it used to be. I have a couple bigger ones made by Homak. Had em' for years, no complaints. Long as you get access fast and easy with security that prevents someone that ain't you from gaining access, you should do alright with what ever you get. More security cost more money. Do what you can to discourage would be thieves by strong attachment of these boxes and cabinets to the floor and walls. Dont leave the key or combination about.
    As far as I  see that the brand name is Liberty. 
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    wddodge said:

Denny

We had the slightly smaller version because it fit inside my nightstand.  With the new place, we are going with a digital safe near the bed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file