2nd Buck doesn't do what he's supposed to...

shooter10mmshooter10mm MemberPosts: 213 Member
So I killed another nice deer yesterday afternoon, 75 yards from the one I killed last Sunday!! I was walking into the woods about an hour and a half before dark on a last minute whim, and heard chasing up ahead, figured I'd creep in there and when I got up closer I heard a buck grunting that sounded like he was a Triceratops!! Haha.... I knew he was mature before I saw him, then she moved through an opening about 80 yards from me and I threw the rifle up on her and the next deer to come into the opening was a heavy mature deer so I let that little 6.5CM loose! Heard it smack, and he buck kicked like he was heart shot.
Saw him run and went down there to see what I had. NO BLOOD...****! Called my buddy and we decided to back out and let him expire. We went in almost at dark to be able to see, found no blood, started canvasing towards where she and he ran off to to see if we could find him.....NOPE
SOoo....I ran to my truck.....Well really I just walked rather swiftly! Got my .300 with the thermal and his gun also so we could try to find him with the thermals through the brush. On the way back in I cut left a bit around a ridge to get around some trashy thick stuff with the two guns and about the time I was 20 yards from the spot I shot I almost tripped over him! I guess there were two bucks and at the recoil of the shot I looked back and saw a buck running right chasing her still, when the one I shot had cut back the way he came, went over a 3 foot little rise from an old wind row and crumbled! The 129gr Interbond went in at the top of the heart and lodged in the offside shoulder. A happy ending for a deer I kinda got worried about losing!
The Buck was 7.5 and an old warrior! Backbone showing, hip bones showing, he probably would've run himself to death by the end of this rut if we get any kind of cold weather this year!
I'm European mounting him this week.

E3pIri2.jpg
"You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
"As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
" -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,648 Senior Member
    Nice..good job!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,827 Senior Member
    Impressive :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 213 Member
    Couple more pics...
    VeL9kBX.jpg

Iq9Yszn.jpg

iN18r46.jpg
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,072 Senior Member
    Nice.

What is the concoction you have on the skull?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,359 Senior Member
    Great patina on the antlers!
    Excellent result all around in my book.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,782 Senior Member
    Nice one
    I have a need for speed
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,827 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

"White stuff", can't you see :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That's exciting!
    Sometimes the hang in pair's.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,752 Senior Member
    Way to go finding that buck! That had to be a sinking feeling finding no blood. Been there with an archery buck in Maryland that we, too, endedup finding. Sometimes it just takes that different perspective to make them turn up.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,422 Senior Member
    Damn fine animal!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,705 Senior Member
    Nice buck!
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • twatwa Senior Member Posts: 2,225 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Nice.

Yes he is right! Beauty salon type "Basic White and 40 volume peroxide" is the white stuff after being boiled for a couple hours with Borax
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,209 Senior Member
    That will be a beautiful European mount! Good hustle and nice rifle!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,548 Senior Member
    Nice hunt, glad you found that guy. Great job on the skull mount too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,587 Senior Member
    Very nice deer and glad you found him easily! And one of my favorites, buck horn soup!!
    Iq9Yszn.jpg
    Hahaha! I guess you could finally say someone tried to prove you can eat horns huh??
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,093 Senior Member
    What they are supposed to do, is at a minimum run towards the truck. In a perfect world they would expire 2 feet from the tailgate.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,859 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    What they are supposed to do, is at a minimum run towards the truck. In a perfect world they would expire 2 feet from the tailgate.

No man, in a perfect world they would jump up over the tail gate, lie down and die in the truck bed.. However, the world ain't perfect. They never die where I want 'em to!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file