Armed citizen gets involved

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 9,416 Senior Member
Not too many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,478 Senior Member
    Wow, talk about a situation going south on a guy.....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »

This is the part of the story that stands out to me. :mad:
    The Georgia Bureau of Investigation and Dawson County District Attorney’s Office are involved in the investigation to determine, among other things, if the woman who fired on the man attacking Sgt. Harkness should face charges.

Any wonder why so many other people choose not to get involved. It reminds of the Quote, "No Good Deed...."

I think they'll drop any attempt at charges but someone on behalf of the scumbag just had to bring it up. :angry:
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,779 Senior Member
    I couldn't get the video to work, but from the text, I don't think they made it clear whether the officer wanted or needed help. Very poor reporting...as usual.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,825 Senior Member
    To assist a uniformed officer is about the ONLY time I see myself getting involved in something I didn't witness the start of.

Walking up in the middle of something??? NOPE. I have no way of knowing who is the "perp" and who is the "victim". Unless someone involved becomes a threat to me or mine, I'll just be a witness.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,825 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I couldn't get the video to work, but from the text, I don't think they made it clear whether the officer wanted or needed help. Very poor reporting...as usual.

The sheriff apparently thought the officer did, after the fact
    “I truly believe she’s a hero I believe she thankfully saved this officer’s life,” said Sheriff Johnson
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,076 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    To assist a uniformed officer is about the ONLY time I see myself getting involved in something I didn't witness the start of.

Walking up in the middle of something??? NOPE. I have no way of knowing who is the "perp" and who is the "victim". Unless someone involved becomes a threat to me or mine, I'll just be a witness.

Agreed.

Good on her for saving the officer.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,416 Senior Member
    Being a former LEO, I would probably get involved whereas others would not, since I don't recall ever being released from my sworn duty. In effect, being retired means I'm still sworn. Not saying I'd shoot someone in a fight, not knowing who's in the right, but would say I'd intervene. Same as if I saw a bank robbery. Certainly if I saw an uniformed deputy getting pummeled, although that may not be my first reaction (shooting, that is). But a woman seeing a deputy getting the crap beaten out of him? She did the right thing. As for GBI, they're required by law to investigate such things so the Office involved doesn't investigate itself and possibly raise the charge of a cover-up.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,061 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »

That, or an active-killer type situation.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,417 Senior Member
    Gene L wrote: »
    Being a former LEO, I would probably get involved whereas others would not, since I don't recall ever being released from my sworn duty. In effect, being retired means I'm still sworn. Not saying I'd shoot someone in a fight, not knowing who's in the right, but would say I'd intervene. Same as if I saw a bank robbery. Certainly if I saw an uniformed deputy getting pummeled, although that may not be my first reaction (shooting, that is). But a woman seeing a deputy getting the crap beaten out of him? She did the right thing. As for GBI, they're required by law to investigate such things so the Office involved doesn't investigate itself and possibly raise the charge of a cover-up.

I was hoping you’d chime in and give us the skinny on that topic. Thanks!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file