Kimber coming to Alabama

2»

Comments

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,792 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Happily, the Toyota/Mazda plant will be built in the next county, land Huntsville annexed. There will still be added traffic on not enough roads. I swear during rush hour, there are more TN. cars on the roads then AL.

For those that have by there, it's out by the new Larry's. Much closer to the airport and intermodal shipping.
    I wonder why all the TN plates :tooth:

I will admit having been to Alabama a few times there are some ok pockets and as Eli said it's definitely better than Mississippi! Mostly just salty because your football team keeps winning national championships without having to go through the Buckeyes ;-)
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,917 Senior Member
    I wonder why all the TN plates

Taking advantage of the good paying jobs without the embarrassment of actually living there!
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,058 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    It makes me sad to see you post statements like this because I like Alabama even though I don't live there and I have been all over the state and the demographic varies quite a bit according to the location.

I like a lot of things about living in 'Bama...but if you look at it objectively, it kinda sucks.

Corrupt politicians, from local mayors all the way to the governor. Infrastructure that wasn't adequate for the population a decade ago, much less today. Exorbitant state, county, city, and in some cases local municipality taxes.
    Birmingham and Gadsden (my lovely home-town) are usually in the top ten violent crime cities every year. Our law enforcement agencies are ridiculously under funded. Our schools are generally behind everyone else in technology. Our local healthcare systems are generally a joke. ALL of our roads are trash...like literally all of them.
    Unless you're an avid outdoors-man who really enjoys occasionally stepping on used syringes and running up on meth-labs, or you have specific business in downtown Huntsville, Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, or Auburn...there's really not much of a draw.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 3,961 Senior Member
    The differences between north Alabama and south are significant. I live in the county and pay 5.5 percent sales tax. My property tax is like 400. Bucks a year. Nearly ever school, good or bad is new or near new or rebuilt. We have STEM programs and magnate schools. Politicians are politicians no matter where you go. Most of our roads are ok. The TN. River is one of the best waterways in the country for boating and fishing.

I agree Central and parts of south AL leaves a lot to be desired but has some good things. Smith lake is fantastic, CMP is the best public range there is, gulf shores is nice and more affordable then FL. Birmingham should be blown up except UAB medical center.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 4,959 Senior Member
    South central and coastal Alabama are way different than the rest of the state. Except Mobile, that sucks.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 4,959 Senior Member
    I almost forgot about hunting, if you like to deer hunt, south central Alabama has a crazy concentration of deer. When I hunted near Dozier, if you didn't see two or three deer every hour or two, you thought something was wrong. It was easy to fill the former two doe a day limit.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,496 Senior Member
    Eli wrote: »
    I mean...you're not incorrect.

As I've always said, when queried about which is the worst state in the country...Thank god for Mississippi.

And to think that Mississippi was THE WEALTHIEST STATE IN THE U.S., but that was before the Civil War. A lot of fortunes changed hands during and after. PUN INTENDED!
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

Buford wrote: »
    How are they losing something they never had. The article said it's building a plant there not relocating headquarters.

Now, Buford! Since the new plant facilities will not be built in NY, then there will be no building and equipment to tax, no income from the plant or workers to tax, and no other of the myriad of taxes that go with building a plant. But you're right in one way. NOO YAWK can't tax what ain't there! :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,686 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Now, Buford! Since the new plant facilities will not be built in NY, then there will be no building and equipment to tax, no income from the plant or workers to tax, and no other of the myriad of taxes that go with building a plant. But you're right in one way. NOO YAWK can't tax what ain't there! :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Correct. They lost all of that. And....this gives Kimber options to close up shop there. Which they will, once the new plant is complete.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 7,792 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    And to think that Mississippi was THE WEALTHIEST STATE IN THE U.S., but that was before the Civil War. A lot of fortunes changed hands during and after. PUN INTENDED!
    By per capita wealth and only when you didn't include the slaves doing all the labor as people.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    By per capita wealth and only when you didn't include the slaves doing all the labor as people.

No, by actual measurable dollar worth of all the products that were sold by the state. Before there was beef from West of the Mississippi, and hogs, geese, sheep, goats, chickens, and turkeys from elsewhere, most all that came from the South. And most of it was raised by families, white AND free black, that used the free range to grow them. Same for FL, GA, and TN. While the North raised all these things, they did not raise enough to supply their needs.

And there were a lot of slaves in the Northern states, too. Why don't you do yourself a favor and study how Wall Street in NYC got its name. You might be a bit surprised, and WHO did business there would surprise you even more. That's assuming you're willing to find out some ugly truths.

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    IIRC I think I read that a very large shipyard turned out the biggest volume of Liberties there:uhm:

I recall something about those landing crafts being designed and built by a genuis type guy down south somewhere:uhm:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    early wrote: »
    I recall something about those landing crafts being designed and built by a genuis type guy down south somewhere:uhm:

Higgins boats, originally from New Orleans. Shallow draft flat bottomed boats with the propeller in a protected tunnel, originally designed during prohibition to smuggle whiskey through the Mississippi delta. When prohibition was repealed and the company was on the verge of bankruptcy Higgins modified the boats with a falling front ramp so soldiers could attack from beach landings without climbing over the sides.
    Jerry
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    That's it:applause:
    Seems like whiskey has done alot good sometimes.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Joe Kennedy bought one presidency, and almost another one with money made from bootlegging Scotch through Canada, and if Teddy hadn't drowned his pregnant girlfriend, there might have been a third Kennedy in the running.
    Jerry
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file