Man cave stuff

Comments

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,878 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-V30-Portaband-Table_p_55.html

They make cheaper models, that was the first link I found. Or, one can fashion one from a bit of metal. So simple
    an Okie can do it. I've seen pictures. He didn't even weld his hand to the table like last time.

I didn’t weld my hand to the table, I set my gloves on fire.

Not the ones I was wearing at the time. I had wiped the metal off with lacquer thinner. I took those gloves off and set them on the table. Then I struck an arc right next to them and the gloves got a little burny.

https://imgur.com/a/lkGXJ
    Picture of the band saw stand. Once you use one you will be ruined. I built a foot switch too, actually two of them, I just don’t have a picture of V2.0.
    Chris has a link to a decent one though.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,099 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    A nice bandsaw is down the road on the list, who knows, maybe I can get it all together by the time I retire!

All the choices of tools depends on the use you will have for them. I went cheap on the plasma cutter because I don't cut a lot. My band saws I bought Dewalt because I do use that a bunch.
    I bought so many tools I can't retire so I just keep working ! ( ok not just tools ......guns toys too )
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,298 Senior Member
    Just clamp a straight edge to the work piece and use it as a guide. Or whatever shape you want. Only thing about a plasma cutter is they need lots of air. Crappy oilfree compressors need not apply.

OK, that makes sense, and is not difficult. My compressor is a low end model, but it has an 8 gallon tank, will put out 125 PSI and is oil filled. Would that work?
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.
    And to add, plasma cutters excel at cutting sheet goods. Tubing and bar sock are best (not to mention more accurately) cut with a bandsaw. Hacking something from under a vehicle, an odd shape etc, sure. Get the adjustable plasma wrench after it. But hacking stuff to make something, bandsaw. You'll get a cleaner, more accurate cut.
    Harbor freight sells an excellent portable bandsaw for $99 on sale, and a floor standing horizontal bandsaw that gets good reviews for about twice that.

Also sounds like a good solution. Not really ready for a plasma cutter at this point, but was curious about using it for accurate cuts. I've seen their portable band saws, and probably would buy that before getting a plasma cutter, which is a LOT more money.
    Political correctness is a liberal degrading of the freedom of speech. George Orwell's 1984 famously incorporated the notion of limiting thought through language (see Newspeak)." Meanwhile, the beatings will continue until morale improves around here.
    It all depends on what you are cutting. A plasma cutter sucks for cutting pipe, angle iron, square tubing the plasma will work just not optimal.

A bandsaw is completely useless for making cuts on anything wider than the throat is deep.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    OK, that makes sense, and is not difficult. My compressor is a low end model, but it has an 8 gallon tank, will put out 125 PSI and is oil filled. Would that work?

You would have to check the plasma cutter and see what it requires for CFM.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 4,961 Senior Member
    Ladies and gentlemen we have shelfage!
    Now the wait on shelf and table tops............

OfFMP3s.jpg

Is that where you'll store your engine block collection?:tooth: Those are some stout looking shelves!
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 4,961 Senior Member
    As for mounting the vise, if you want it to be really versatile and don't plan to use it as an anvil, you could mount it on a plate welded to a piece of two inch square tubing and mount a 2" receiver hitch to the bottom of the bench and remove the vise if you need an open bench, or extend it out away from the bench if you need clearance.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,253 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Is that where you'll store your engine block collection?:tooth: Those are some stout looking shelves!

They are sturdy, I wanted them to hold whatever and I think they’re up for it!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    As for mounting the vise, if you want it to be really versatile and don't plan to use it as an anvil, you could mount it on a plate welded to a piece of two inch square tubing and mount a 2" receiver hitch to the bottom of the bench and remove the vise if you need an open bench, or extend it out away from the bench if you need clearance.

Not a bad idea, thanks.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    You would have to check the plasma cutter and see what it requires for CFM.

Thanks.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,687 Senior Member
    It all depends on what you are cutting. A plasma cutter sucks for cutting pipe, angle iron, square tubing the plasma will work just not optimal.

A bandsaw is completely useless for making cuts on anything wider than the throat is deep.
    You can cut stuff that is twice as deep as the throat.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    You can cut stuff that is twice as deep as the throat.

By reversing the direction of the cut?
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,687 Senior Member
    By reversing the direction of the cut?

Yep. Cut halfway in. Flip it over. But most handheld bandsaws will cut 3+ inches deep. Ain't much you can't hack off with some thought. Our Milwaukee "deep cut" model at work goes to 4.5" of memory serves. But, we've cut pipe up to 6" by cutting a bit, rolling the pipe. Cut a bit more, roll the pipe. So on till it's cut.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Tops on and some of the expanded metal laid out, finally starting to look like something.

Av9ovEA.jpg
    Now you are talking !
    Could even cut up deer on there.
    ( a cup holder on the corner would be handy too )
    Loads of room for tools & supply's under .
    I have about 50 or so C clamps that other than a tool box drawer I haven't found a handy place for.
    As you have seen a wall spot is kinda out of the question. :rotflmao:
    Real nice industrial quality. That would make a great welding table too. The only thing I would have done a little different was to flip the angle iron for the bottom shelf so the wire tray was cupped, and you wouldn't catch your pants or cut your legs or hands on it.
    Real nice industrial quality. That would make a great welding table too. The only thing I would have done a little different was to flip the angle iron for the bottom shelf so the wire tray was cupped, and you wouldn't catch your pants or cut your legs or hands on it.

I plan on trimming it down a little more before I tack it in. I also thought of adding a piece of angle on the sides to cover the sharp edges. With it all set in an inch nothing should catch.
    Electrical work today, installing 2 new 50 amp 220 plugs. This is something I should have done from day one! One just simply didn’t cut it.
    Electrical work today, installing 2 new 50 amp 220 plugs. This is something I should have done from day one! One just simply didn’t cut it.

Having to stop and shut your machine off just unplug it so you can plug another machine in for 10 minutes is for chumps.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Having to stop and shut your machine off just unplug it so you can plug another machine in for 10 minutes is for chumps.

Yep that ain’t happening anymore!
    You can't have to many outlets in a shop.
    And extension cords , & lights, & tools ......... see why my shops are a mess !
    Old Ron wrote: »
    You can't have to many outlets in a shop.
    And extension cords , & lights, & tools ......... see why my shops are a mess !

And you guys are not making it easier, almost every day you guy enable me with something new!
    Keep it up!!!
    :rotflmao:

Welcome to the hoarder zone !
    Just having the space to put stuff in encourages this behavior.....LOL. I put up a 20 X 24 shed last year and almost all the storage space I put in there is filled. I have to be careful I don't clutter up the floor work space anymore than it is.
    That seems to be the curse !
    No matter how big we build it it seems to never be enough.
    My next shop will be 60'x100'.......I think I almost have enough to fill it now.
    I seem to do a lot of work outside because no room in the shops.
    Electrical work completed, shop didn’t blow up, I didn’t electrocute myself and all plugs work.
    Plasma cutter should be here Thursday or Friday, hopefully the weather will be tolerable next weekend so I can continue working. Sucks being old and arthritic, I just can’t work as fast as I used to but it gets done!
    Seems like you are doing real well for a old feller there tim.
    Speed is over rated lol
    The great part about being old is we can work the speed we want to.
    What was your final cost on the plasma ?
    Nice thing about pacing out buying tools is that it is Christmas all year long.
    Next tim you need to keep an eye out for a good anvil ..... mine is about 300 lbs.
    I looked for years at auctions but they were to small or to expensive. I found mine at a garage sale.
    The guy told me I would need help to move it ......I said if the price is right I will have it gone in 20 min.
    He didn't know I have trucks with tommy lifts & rollback carts. Paid $110 bucks & loaded it up alone & was gone.
    One addition I should have mentioned earlier Tim, a couple of cord reels. I have gotten to the point that having cords strung out on the floor makes me hostile. A cord reel or two will help to keep the rage to a minimum. Mount one on either side of the shop or in the rafters. I like to use space overhead.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Old Ron wrote: »
    Seems like you are doing real well for a old feller there tim.
    Speed is over rated lol
    The great part about being old is we can work the speed we want to.
    What was your final cost on the plasma ?
    Nice thing about pacing out buying tools is that it is Christmas all year long.
    Next tim you need to keep an eye out for a good anvil ..... mine is about 300 lbs.
    I looked for years at auctions but they were to small or to expensive. I found mine at a garage sale.
    The guy told me I would need help to move it ......I said if the price is right I will have it gone in 20 min.
    He didn't know I have trucks with tommy lifts & rollback carts. Paid $110 bucks & loaded it up alone & was gone.

I paid $1,793 with shipping for the TD 60i plasma cutter with 50’ hose kit and extra consumables kit. An anvil would be cool.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file