Pucker Time in HI

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 30,190 Senior Member
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Comments

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,190 Senior Member
    qrfjnzM.jpg
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,558 Senior Member
    Some of the reports I've seen make it look like a little more than the 'accidental alert' they claim. More like a disgruntled employee, perhaps? Diversion to draw attention from something else?
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

At least, Trump is addressing the problem with NK, which many of his predecessors have ignored or made worse.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,918 Senior Member
    Things haven't changed much since I was stationed in Little Rock in 1969. We had 14 minutes to get the B-58's off the alert pad and airborne, before the nukes started landing on us. The 58 was a one way ride, and the reason they were only based in Arkansas and Indiana was that gave us the maximum scramble time. Anywhere else in the country had less time to react. Hawaii is toast, no matter what sort of contingency plan gets implemented.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,548 Senior Member
    You might be surprised how easy it is to send out a live emergency message when you are conducting tests.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,104 Senior Member
    Am I the only one thinking two dudes high on Hawaiian weed in front of a state computer terminal going, “Hey dude, wouldn’t it be funny if I sent this out?.............. Oh crap!!!”
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,527 Senior Member
    A bunch of whining snowflakes.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    In a related situation, Chicago's emergency warning system has been activated, warning residents that entrepreneurs are approaching the city, offering jobs. Welfare leeches are warned to shelter in place until they leave in frustration. Similar public service announcements are pending in New York, Los Angeles, Baltimore, Detriot, and Atlanta.
    Jerry
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,602 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Am I the only one thinking two dudes high on Hawaiian weed in front of a state computer terminal going, “Hey dude, wouldn’t it be funny if I sent this out?.............. Oh crap!!!”
    Not sure if some "herb" was involved or not, but this makes the "accidentally hit the wrong button" story sound like a load of "crappe"
    He confirmed that to trigger the alert, there is a two-step process involving only one employee — who both triggers the alarm, then also confirms it.

"There is a screen that says, 'Are you sure you want to do this?'" Miyagi said. The employee confirmed the alert, inadvertently causing a panic in a state already on edge over saber-rattling missile threats from North Korea.
    Hitting the first button accidentally.... okay, I can believe that. HOWEVER, then hitting the confirm button by accident as well??? Nope, not buying it :nono:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,631 Senior Member
    Biggest issue with all of this media hyperbole is could NK even land a warhead on HI if they wanted to?

Building the weapon and delivering it are two different things. I remember stopping in Haifa Israel and seeing a dud Scud missile lodged in the roof of a mall. They left it there as a memorial to Iraq's ineffective missiles.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,387 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    In a related situation, Chicago's emergency warning system has been activated, warning residents that entrepreneurs are approaching the city, offering jobs. Welfare leeches are warned to shelter in place until they leave in frustration. Similar public service announcements are pending in New York, Los Angeles, Baltimore, Detriot, and Atlanta.
    Jerry

You forgot San Francisco!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    If i ever get that alarm on my phone and it turns out to be false... I’ll have to apologize profusely to all sort of folks around me :tooth:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Idiots are sayin it's Trump's fault .............
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I'm sort of glad this happened. I'm not real savy with this dern phone/internet etc.. I'll be a lot less likely to assume credibility of future notifications. Given the general futility of reaction, wrongful credibility assumption should be inconsequential.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Judging from the reaction from the populous..... doesn't matter if they have a warning system or not.... they're all gonna die anyway.....when in doubt...paniic!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    qrfjnzM.jpg

Given that the majority of the population is clueless, they should just skip steps #1-5 and go directly to steps #6 and #7. Why waste effort with the first five when it's gonna be an exercise in futility for them, anyway.
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,709 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Given that the majority of the population is clueless, they should just skip steps #1-5 and go directly to steps #6 and #7. Why waste effort with the first five when it's gonna be an exercise in futility for them, anyway.

If you're that close....it don't matter who you are. You're toast. Figuratively and literally.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,390 Senior Member
    This is what I know,
    1. Many of the Airline "computer issues" have been hackers.
    2.We know that Asian Threat Actors have gain entrance into some company networks, Sony was one.
    3.We know they have been into some other networks too.
    4. We know the story given to the media on the Hawaii accident doesn't add up. It is more than a "one button" system.
    5. Not all 808 numbers received the alert, and out of state area codes on Island did receive it.

I would bet damn good money this was a cyber attack and we are not being told. Call me crazy, call me paranoid, but there are things that fit. I would also bet damn good money this was a test, and another one will be done CONUS in an area that will cause significant civil disruption.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 8,979 Senior Member
    This is what I know,
    2.We know that Asian Threat Actors have gain entrance into some company networks, Sony was one.
    4. We know the story given to the media on the Hawaii accident doesn't add up. It is more than a "one button" system.
    5. Not all 808 numbers received the alert, and out of state area codes on Island did receive it.

I would bet damn good money this was a cyber attack and we are not being told. Call me crazy, call me paranoid, but there are things that fit. I would also bet damn good money this was a test, and another one will be done CONUS in an area that will cause significant civil disruption.

The question is not "am I being paranoid?" The question is "Am I being paranoid ENOUGH?"

I agree with CM.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    This is what I know,

These systems do not go by area code because nowadays that's almost meaningless. They go out to the network that sends it to all devices active linked to towers in defined geographical areas.
    Maybe the chubby kid in NK with the bowl haircut is suicidal and wanted us to launch a preemptive attack on him and put him out of his misery. Stranger things have happened.

This is what I know,

Having worked with public notification systems for many years, it really is easy to send out a live message accidentally.....happens more often than you might think...
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 1,970 Senior Member
    I saw an article about the Hawaii nuke scare. Jim Cary was afraid he only had 10 minutes to live and was all teary eyed. Poor baby.
    Jim Cary was afraid he only had 10 minutes to live and was all teary eyed.

He was afraid he was going to have to face Charlton Heston again- - - - - -forever! No wonder he was panicked!
    :devil:
    Jerry
    cpj wrote: »
    If you're that close....it don't matter who you are. You're toast. Figuratively and literally.

If ya gonna be in the blast zone, be at the epicenter. I've seen WAY too many films of people overexposed to gamma and neutron radiation in nuke training. Living around 30 days while you crap your guts out, and your skin slides off, literally, isn't a good ending.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,335 Senior Member
    The same thing happened in Japan today. Me thinks CM is a wise Soldier.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    The same thing happened in Japan today. Me thinks CM is a wise Soldier.

Might be onto something here. Anyway, the only safe computer system is one that is totally isolated from the outside world.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,602 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Me thinks CM is a wise Soldier.
    I've known that for some time.

I also think he may be onto something here.
    If so.... the next attack will hit?????? SoKo, US mainland,
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file