Opinions on Lilja

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,337 Senior Member
They've got a barrel I want in stock for the 300 H&H, #2 1:11 twist. About the only barrel I can find that is not a sewer pipe, or several months of waiting. It is a little pricey, so figured I'd ask here before plopping down more than I paid for the entire rifle just for a contoured bbl.
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Comments

  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 3,971 Senior Member
    Do it. You won't regret it.

    Lilja and Krieger are the only two words you need to know about barrels.

    Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,712 Senior Member
    Nothing but good things to say about Lilja. I used one to replace my scorched out .22-250 factory barrel and the new Lilja is so good, I'm actively trying to budget my shot count to keep it around.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,059 Senior Member
    Worth the money!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,584 Senior Member
    I have one of their HEAVY AR barrels, and a 77INT contour 9T SS barrel is currently in the pipeline.

    Are they the "best"?? I can't say that with confidence, because I don't know how you define "best". With that said, I'm a fan :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,337 Senior Member
    Well that's some high praise there guys. I think I'm convinced on that one. Wish I could get all my barrels in one place....but not everyone makes every bore.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,103 Senior Member
    While I have no personal experience, I can say that majority of the local benchrest shooters swear by Lilja.

    These guys are fanatical about such things.

    Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,712 Senior Member
    Well that's some high praise there guys. I think I'm convinced on that one. Wish I could get all my barrels in one place....but not everyone makes every bore.

    I think you're going to be extremely happy.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Lilja barrels are excellent, that's a great choice.
    I'm a Krieger junkie because I want my barrels cut-rifled. But that's just me and my problem.
    Buy from Lilja with confidence that you are getting a great barrel.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,337 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    Lilja barrels are excellent, that's a great choice.
    I'm a Krieger junkie because I want my barrels cut-rifled. But that's just me and my problem.
    Buy from Lilja with confidence that you are getting a great barrel.

    I'm more excited about having a barrel in a caliber AND profile I want, without waiting months. It's a hunting rifle, and will be quite light, so a match barrel certainly isn't needed. But dang, trying to find what I want without dealing with custom contours and lots of custom add ons, if its super high quality, I'll take it!

    Now if I could just get a stupid .400 Whelen barrel that isn't an inch thick and the proper bore.....
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,337 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    I think you're going to be extremely happy.

    Now I've just gotta convince myself on which rifle to use. I've got 3, the best option I'm hesitant to use.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 18,963 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Do it. You won't regret it.

    Lilja and Krieger are the only two words you need to know about barrels.

    Mike

    This!!!

    Linefinder turned me on to Lilja several years ago and I think I have 4-5 of them now (would have to count) and they are wicked accurate and smooth.

    Lilja and Krieger are the only barrels I will spend bolt gun money on these days.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    I'm more excited about having a barrel in a caliber AND profile I want, without waiting months. It's a hunting rifle, and will be quite light, so a match barrel certainly isn't needed. But dang, trying to find what I want without dealing with custom contours and lots of custom add ons, if its super high quality, I'll take it!

    Now if I could just get a stupid .400 Whelen barrel that isn't an inch thick and the proper bore.....

    You say you don't need a match bareel, but isn't that what you just got? Aren't Lilja barrels all match barrels? There's nothing wrong with having a match barrel on a non-match rifle. It just helps it be stupidly accurate.

    You're going to have a lot of fun.

    ETA: I just checked their site again. They only produce match barrels, nothing else. You're going to love the rifle.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,704 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    Do it. You won't regret it.

    Lilja and Krieger are the only two words you need to know about barrels.

    Mike

    I've heard nothing but good about Lilja. And like Linefinder says, those two, Krieger and Lilja are some of the very best. There's some great barrel makers out there and there are several I would probably have no problem using. For hunting rifles I'm certainly no barrel snob, but I do love the confidence the best will give you. I use Shilen Match barrels also and they make a damn good barrel, but Krieger is a shade or two more accurate in my use. My one Krieger is my most accurate barrel. And when I had a Krieger made for one of my builds, Lilja was my next choice. You ain't goin' wrong with one.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,337 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    You say you don't need a match bareel, but isn't that what you just got? Aren't Lilja barrels all match barrels? There's nothing wrong with having a match barrel on a non-match rifle. It just helps it be stupidly accurate.

    You're going to have a lot of fun.

    ETA: I just checked their site again. They only produce match barrels, nothing else. You're going to love the rifle.

    What I meant was, I would've been happy with a hunting barrel, match is a bonus. Just couldn't find anyone else making a light contour that was long enough. This giant push for 1000 yard hunting rifles jas pushed all the barrel makers to produce giant barrels. Haven't bought it yet, I'm waiting on a quote from the smith on using my pf M70 for rebarrel and coating vs a crf M70 for rebarrel, open bolt face, replace ejector and mod the magazine, plus coating.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 3,971 Senior Member
    The reason I bought my first Lilja is because Krieger didn't have what I wanted in stock and it was going to be a few months before they would. So, I ordered fro Lilja, and the nice customer service rep mentioned that for pdog shooting, I might want to consider a 3 groove instead of 4 groove. He said it would last longer.

    Many shots later, I can tell you for sure he was right.

    Like Pegasus, I lean toward cut rifling (Krieger), but in all honesty, I can't tell you why.

    Krieger/Lilja. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

    Your Lilja is gonna make you smile.

    Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,337 Senior Member
    Just waiting on a bonus at work, and it'll get ordered. The 300 might be a few back in the build que though. No idea where the 275 is at, but likely close to being blued, 404 is near done with metal work. 308 Yugo and 376 Steyr 98 are up next after that.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    What I meant was, I would've been happy with a hunting barrel, match is a bonus. Just couldn't find anyone else making a light contour that was long enough. This giant push for 1000 yard hunting rifles jas pushed all the barrel makers to produce giant barrels. Haven't bought it yet, I'm waiting on a quote from the smith on using my pf M70 for rebarrel and coating vs a crf M70 for rebarrel, open bolt face, replace ejector and mod the magazine, plus coating.

    I apologize, I didn't mean to get anyone riled up. I was not aware that you were trying to get a longish barrel and were thus forced to get one from Lilja to be able to have it sometime this year. It makes perfect sense, but I will tell you that you are going to get spoiled and you will look down on ordinary barrels after you've shot that one. Because they lap the barrel, there is not need for a "break-in period." I suspect you will be sad about missing the naked dancing with chipmunks, but don't waste your time. If you smith is good he will not leave much tooling marks after he chambers the barrel and whatever burrs he leave behind will be gone after a couple shots.

    When you clean the barrel, please use a one-piece rod with a guide and there is no need to use any bronze brushes. I use nylon brushes and patches only and the barrels clean up within a few strokes. Copper build-up? What's that?



    To Linefinder: I've owned both button and cut-rifled barrels and probably could not tell the difference between two high quality barrels one being button-rifled and the other cut-rifled when it comes to accuracy. I believe (please not the word "believe" and not "know") there exists a difference in the lifespan of the barrel, with cut-rifling lasting longer. I have elected to stay with Krieger exclusively and I am on my fifth barrel on my F-TR match barrel. My next pair of barrels will be from Krieger, but if they disappeared tomorrow, I would have no compunction ordering from Lilja or Brux, Bartlein, Hart, Broughton, Satern, Schneider, Obermeyer, Rock Creek, Pac-Nor, and McGowen as long as I can get the specs that I want in terms of contour, finished length, and rifling twist and type.

    Shilen is also great brand and they make great barrels.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 3,971 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »

    To Linefinder: I've owned both button and cut-rifled barrels and probably could not tell the difference between two high quality barrels one being button-rifled and the other cut-rifled when it comes to accuracy. I believe (please not the word "believe" and not "know") there exists a difference in the lifespan of the barrel, with cut-rifling lasting longer. I have elected to stay with Krieger exclusively and I am on my fifth barrel on my F-TR match barrel. My next pair of barrels will be from Krieger, but if they disappeared tomorrow, I would have no compunction ordering from Lilja or Brux, Bartlein, Hart, Broughton, Satern, Schneider, Obermeyer, Rock Creek, Pac-Nor, and McGowen as long as I can get the specs that I want in terms of contour, finished length, and rifling twist and type.

    Shilen is also great brand and they make great barrels.

    Thanks for taking the time to post that. I couldn't have said it any better.

    Though I have no empirical data to support my pure opinion, I'll take a Krieger 4 groove for anything, gladly.

    I am, no knock to any of the great barrel makers you mentioned, highly impressed with both the consistent accuracy and longevity of the 3 groove Lilja against high volume targets. It's held up much better than I expected.

    Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,337 Senior Member
    No riling up here Pegasus!

    As to the barrel break in, hell I can just dance naked with squirrels for fun. Sounds like I'll have plenty of time since I won't be cleaning as much haha.

    I checked deeper into kriegers page, and they DO offer a .403/.411 and .405/.411 barrel in a #4, but that looks like a real long wait. The guy doing my 275 has .410 Douglas barrels in stock in Oberndorf patterns, which are light. I'll have to think on that one. A couple of the guys who inspired my desire for a 400 Whelen, are using Shilen, but it appears they no longer offer it @#4
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,337 Senior Member
    And before anyone chimes in (not directed at anyone in particular) yes I know the history of the 400 Whelen issues. Its myth and incorrect chambers
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,059 Senior Member
    And before anyone chimes in (not directed at anyone in particular) yes I know the history of the 400 Whelen issues. Its myth and incorrect chambers
    Now there's a chambering that has had me intrigued for years. Tell me more!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,337 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Now there's a chambering that has had me intrigued for years. Tell me more!

    Michael Petrov (rip) dug into it, with an original G&H rifle. Discovered the actual original 400 used a blown out shoulder of .458" backyard gunsmiths just necked up 06 brass, which left the .441" shoulder. That, is where the "dangerous headspace" came from. But no one looked into for half a century. If you have one made with the Petrov chamber, or any reamer that states .456 or .458, you won't have headspace issues. Take standard action, add .411 barrel (some use 410) use correct reamer and voila, you have a bolt action 450/400 capable of throwing a 400gr bullet in the 2050-2200 fps range. Replicates the classic 450/400 or 400 Jeffery, which has been used for 120 years to kill any animal on earth without collarbone shattering recoil. The 404 Jeffery, was created to match those nitro express rounds. The 400 will do the same!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,337 Senior Member
    And, 400gr bullets are not necessary these days except for elephant. There are several premium bullets from 340-360 gr that'll knock down any bovine or bear. Lots of cheaper, softer bullets for deer, elk, plains game etc, made for the 405 Win. Plus, you can run 41 mag pistol bullets.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • PegasusPegasus Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    No riling up here Pegasus!

    As to the barrel break in, hell I can just dance naked with squirrels for fun. Sounds like I'll have plenty of time since I won't be cleaning as much haha.

    I checked deeper into kriegers page, and they DO offer a .403/.411 and .405/.411 barrel in a #4, but that looks like a real long wait. The guy doing my 275 has .410 Douglas barrels in stock in Oberndorf patterns, which are light. I'll have to think on that one. A couple of the guys who inspired my desire for a 400 Whelen, are using Shilen, but it appears they no longer offer it @#4

    Yeah, Krieger can have long waits (ask me how I know) especially if you're looking for an uncommon bore. If you can get what you want from Lilja, don't even think about it; just do it. As for Douglas, that's nowhere near premium match barrels; they are just a volume third party barrel maker, nothing special about them.

    Stay focused on Lilja. :drool2:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,704 Senior Member
    Pegasus wrote: »
    I apologize, I didn't mean to get anyone riled up. I was not aware that you were trying to get a longish barrel and were thus forced to get one from Lilja to be able to have it sometime this year. It makes perfect sense, but I will tell you that you are going to get spoiled and you will look down on ordinary barrels after you've shot that one. Because they lap the barrel, there is not need for a "break-in period." I suspect you will be sad about missing the naked dancing with chipmunks, but don't waste your time. If you smith is good he will not leave much tooling marks after he chambers the barrel and whatever burrs he leave behind will be gone after a couple shots.

    When you clean the barrel, please use a one-piece rod with a guide and there is no need to use any bronze brushes. I use nylon brushes and patches only and the barrels clean up within a few strokes. Copper build-up? What's that?



    To Linefinder: I've owned both button and cut-rifled barrels and probably could not tell the difference between two high quality barrels one being button-rifled and the other cut-rifled when it comes to accuracy. I believe (please not the word "believe" and not "know") there exists a difference in the lifespan of the barrel, with cut-rifling lasting longer. I have elected to stay with Krieger exclusively and I am on my fifth barrel on my F-TR match barrel. My next pair of barrels will be from Krieger, but if they disappeared tomorrow, I would have no compunction ordering from Lilja or Brux, Bartlein, Hart, Broughton, Satern, Schneider, Obermeyer, Rock Creek, Pac-Nor, and McGowen as long as I can get the specs that I want in terms of contour, finished length, and rifling twist and type.

    Shilen is also great brand and they make great barrels.

    OK before I start this post, be it known that herein I'm not trying to convince the disbelieving of Barrel Breakin theory. For those of you that don't hold such belief, carry on using the naked dance with Chipmonks in the smoke method with my blessing.

    However, for the minority here that sees some merit in barrel breakin techniques, please Listen. Lapping the barrel has nothing to do with the supposed reason for breakin providing that the barrel is not installed at the factory of the barrel maker and lapped after being screwed in and reamed to head space. Why? Because the barrel is lapped at the factory and reamed by your gun smith. The reaming is what really causes the barrel to need breakin ( OH Hell there I go saying it needs breakin, sorry, again disbelievers look the other direction. I have nothing against naked chipmonks).

    When the barrel is reamed to create the proper head space the machine marks from the reamer in the throat area create fine but perceptible scratches that will pick up copper. Even if your barrel was lapped at the factory, it will have these marks after it has been reamed. That's the whole point of the argument about breakin.

    The idea is to burnish this area and shooting it will do it. However, you need to remove the copper as you shoot it to insure it burnishes smooth and even. Supposedly, if you do this it will wear longer without as much throat erosion and be more accurate. However, the degree of accuracy gain is probably not perceptible for a hunting, plinking, weekend local gun club shoot rifle. Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

    :jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file