The .45-70 will veritably FLATTEN deer!

ZeeZee Senior MemberPosts: 19,073 Senior Member
A friend needed another deer to top off his freezer for the year after we put 3 pigs in it last Friday night. He had already taken a doe earlier this year as depicted in a previous post. That plus the 3 pigs had prompted him to purchase a new chest freezer and with that purchase, he had room for one more deer.

I told him the price of admission would be using my .45-70 guide gun a 300gr Hornady HP hand loads to take his deer. He readily agreed.

Told him him to be at the barn by 3:30, so I arrived a few minutes early to confirm zero.

My rancher friend watched me put a round 2” high of POA at 50 yards and said, “You aren’t going to let him shoot that first, are you?” Referencing the fair amount of recoil he observed in my shooting the rifle.

“Nope”, I replied. Just going to let him dry fire the rifle. I don’t need him worrying about recoil when trying to place a shot.

My friend showed up, dry fired the horrendously heavy Marlin Trigger, and loaded up in the Mule. Ready to go.

We set up in a box blind where we figured the furthest practical shot would be 150’yatds with a center golden

After a short wait, the deer started making an appearance. First some yearlings and young bucks. Then, some mature does. We gave it a little while in case a couple cull bucks I’d been eyeing came out. But, after a reasonable time had passed, I told him, “Let’s take thaT mature doe.”

setting the camera up while while he got a stable platform, he let me know when he was ready. I told him to wait until the on side leg was forward and, “BOOM”!!!

let it be known that, we had previously .............well I had previously........... made a bet with him. If the deer dropped on the spot as I anticipated, he owed me a Shiner out of the barn fridge. If she ran off before dying...........I owed HIM an Shiner out of the barn fridge.

You see, we bet drinks already possessed out of the barn fridge. It’s just a matter of who has to get them.

Here is our set up.

6zxKXS5.jpg

And where the doe was at the shot.

f4umF9j.jpg

And........the shot.

https://youtu.be/1aiQGEdg_4M

Looks like I earned me self a Shiner.

A perfect entry.

cgWu8tq.jpg

With a perfect exit.

XyBikLR.jpg

At 83 yards from a gun he’d never shot before..........I train well!

Very proud of the young man. Only his second deer killed. The first was the earlier head shot this season.

H4D0L3V.jpg

Got her back to the barn to butcher.

Entry.

M3Nt62e.jpg

lAwTm21.jpg

7udAMFd.jpg

Exit

MRQbup4.jpg

wdon18G.jpg

frcJPsB.jpg

I think I am pleased with the bullets performance and his as well.

A job job well done all round.

oCEmDVW.jpg
"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith

Replies

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,895 Senior Member
    That video is awesome.

I think your training was already well proven.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,073 Senior Member
    That video is awesome.

I think your training was already well proven.

He is the shooter you see depicted in the .338 Lapua thread.

From never firing a bolt gun to hitting targets at a mile and killing deer in 1.5 years.

I love my job.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,473 Senior Member
    Once again AWESOME
    That deer fell like it was hit my the hammer of Thor
    Did he make any comments about the recoil?
    My guess is he didnt notice in the excitement
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,617 Senior Member
    Totally twitchless! NICE! You have a guess at the impact speed of that slug?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Totally twitchless! NICE! You have a guess at the impact speed of that slug?

Muzzle Velocity = 2,450 fps
    Est. Impact Vel = 2,114 fps
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Once again AWESOME
    That deer fell like it was hit my the hammer of Thor
    Did he make any comments about the recoil?
    My guess is he didnt notice in the excitement

He said he didn’t really notice it.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,688 Senior Member
    Great report, and great pix as always! I'm no hunter, but it looks pretty "textbook" to me!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,587 Senior Member
    The .45-70 has ben doing it for years!! One of the pilots I worked with went on a lion hunt in Africa. The outfitter supplied all the rifles and ammo so they wouldn't have the hassle of shipping their guns.
    Since he is left handed the only rifle he could use when he got there was a Marlin .45-70, 'cause all the bolt guns were right hand. He got a 450 lb male lion, no problems!!

Anyhow, great hunt, photos and congrats to you and your "student"!!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,827 Senior Member
    NICELY done :worthy:

Reminds me of my results with my 'wulf. Which is why I refer to it as my, "I'm really not in the mood to track a deer rifle" :tooth:

Looks like you've found yours as well :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula Member Posts: 207 Member
    Nice pics!

I would love to have 45-70 for moose.
    To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
    -William Blake-
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,100 Senior Member
    No heart contact?

I love this science. This deer dropped. I've seen hearts blown out, more damage than this deer, that run. Makes no sense.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    cpj wrote: »
    No heart contact?

I love this science. This deer dropped. I've seen hearts blown out, more damage than this deer, that run. Makes no sense.

If you look closely at the video, you will see a red mist being exuded from the entry hole as she collapses as well as a chunk of lung before she drops out of sight.

That chunk of lung stayed aged in the home after I gutted and skinned her. To be seen on the picture of the hanging skinned deer entrance photo.

Wow!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,473 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    If you look closely at the video, you will see a red mist being exuded from the entry hole as she collapses as well as a chunk of lung before she drops out of sight.

That chunk of lung stayed aged in the home after I gutted and skinned her. To be seen on the picture of the hanging skinned deer entrance photo.

Wow!

I saw the mist, actually stopped it and went frame by frame as best I could on this tablet.
    Do you think the mist is from the last lung exhale or from the release of bullet energy inside the deer?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    My ballistics programs agree with your estimate within 20fps,
    You guess, or use some software of your own??

If it was a S.W.A.G. VERY impressive :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    My ballistics programs agree with your estimate within 20fps,
    You guess, or use some software of your own??

If it was a S.W.A.G. VERY impressive :worthy:

StrelockPro
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I saw the mist, actually stopped it and went frame by frame as best I could on this tablet.
    Do you think the mist is from the last lung exhale or from the release of bullet energy inside the deer?

I think it’s from the collapse of the temporary cavity caused by the hydrostatic properties of the bullet passage through soft tissue.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    It'd make a good guide gun for a good guide:-)
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.

That chunk of lung stayed aged in the home after \
    Just guessing, but that's supposed to read "lodged in the hole"?

If not, mind if I ask why you age lungs in your home????
    :rotflmao:

knitepoet wrote: »
    Just guessing, but that's supposed to read "lodged in the hole"?

If not, mind if I ask why you age lungs in your home????

Smart phone. Not so smart.
    Smart phone. Not so smart.
    LOL
    I was wondering how you convinced the wife to let you age lungs in the house.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,617 Senior Member

YOWZA! 1600fps with 405's seems to be the rough borderline between "Play all day" and "Buckle in kiddo" loads. I think your load is roughly equivalent to about three cans of whupass. :tooth:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    No heart contact?

I'm tellin you it makes no rhyme nor reason. Even my 9.3x62 MM which is only .366 fattens deer like a D 9 Cat is awesome.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,752 Senior Member
    He hit that doe perfectly. Nice! Very little a huge bullet like that won’t do on big game.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Bigslug wrote: »
    YOWZA! 1600fps with 405's seems to be the rough borderline between "Play all day" and "Buckle in kiddo" loads. I think your load is roughly equivalent to about three cans of whupass. :tooth:

The deer seemed to agree.
    Figured out with a 205 yard zero, I can hold the top of the heart and still hit a deer out to about 230 yards with the 4x Scout Scope.

dVOXC92.jpg

t1J7JCG.jpg
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,424 Senior Member
    Damn! That’ll do...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file