Need Help Finding a Win. 70 Part

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,264 Senior Member
For all you google masters, I need help finding a (preferably) complete bolt assembly for a short action, post '64 (push feed), with .308 Win bolt face (.473"?).

EBay and the usual parts suppliers have been fruitless thus far.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,834 Senior Member
    POSSIBLY found one @ Midwest Gun Works, but says ""Must be fitted by MGW"

Their website description is kind of vague "Controlled round push feed" :uhm:
    So not sure WTH it is
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,050 Senior Member
    That's gonna be a really tough one to find. If you did find one, expect to pay 400 to 500 bucks for it plus the cost of having it fitted.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,118 Senior Member
    Good luck.

Question, why for you desire this?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,341 Senior Member
    Paul,

That was specifically from the Super Shadow series. Ultimate Shadow was a regular CRF . The bottom of the bolt face is open like a CRF, but it is still a push feed and plunger ejector, not extractor. For the most part they were WSM rifles. Helped with feeding. I've heard they can be a little fragile, so buying extra parts is a good idea since its long out of production from a closed plant

1014398_02_winchester_model_70_300_wsm_640.jpg
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    SS3,

Need to be very specific on the year of the "short action" M70. 64-81 or 82, Winchester SA was just a LA with a magazine block and I think bolt stop. In that case, any post 64 .473 will work.

Midwest is your best bet, but parts are drying up. New Haven has been closed for almost 20 years. Ebay or Gunbroker are your best bet. Or possibly PT&G, they might make their own. I know they make Remington bolt bodies and compete bolts
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    Thanks folks. This is for 41magnut's Palma rifle. Apparently the bolt is shot out. Since I doubt the rifle could be recreated for $500, it's probably worth it to track down a bolt assembly and have it fitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    If you can get the serial # you can look up the year of production online. That'll tell you if you need the true SA or just a regular bolt
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    It's a '76-'77 model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Then any .473 bolt should work. The bottom of the link I posted.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,109 Senior Member
    Gentlemen,
    The back story to SS3's thread.
    During the Southwest Nationals Championship, in Phoenix AZ., my Winchester actioned Palma rifle developed a disturbing problem. Ultimately, I withdrew from the competition.
    Thanks to Matriarch's google skills, by supper time, we have a list of gunsmiths in the Phoenix area.
    Began calling in order of the earliest opening time. Found one that agreeded to take on the rush job.
    Off through morning rush hour traffic we go.

Described the problem, he believed he could fix it. Left the rifle in his care and out the door we go, anxiously awaiting a phone call.

When I returned to the shop go pick up the rifle, the gentleman reviewed the repairs and stated that what was ultimately needed was a new bolt. Don't piece together a bolt, buy a complete bolt.
    Of course, knowing of the shutdown of the Connecticut factory two decades ago, I asked where am I gonna find one?

"That's a Winchester, they made millions of 'em", then mentioned the usual sources for gun parts.

This turned into a search for the Holy Grail.

Hence the query from SS3.

When I receive my rifle back from my local gunsmith & the story is concluded, I'll post a complere report with greater detail.

Bottom line, I do not believe a new bolt is needed. 😊

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,435 Senior Member
    Ok, so if I'm reading this correctly what you need is a standard push feed SA model 70 bolt, no? It's probably cheaper to buy a used gun (as the GS said, MILLIONS of them out there), keep the bolt and part out the rest of the gun on eBay and the barreled action on GB. Actually you will probably make money at it... Have MHS find you one. I've never seen anyone with his level of luck finding great guns for next to NOTHING :cuss:

Now of course curiosity is killing me. How the heck do you break a bolt!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,118 Senior Member
    So what was the disturbing problem?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,109 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    So what was the disturbing problem?
    Ok, so if I'm reading this correctly what you need is a standard push feed SA model 70 bolt, no? It's probably cheaper to buy a used gun (as the GS said, MILLIONS of them out there), keep the bolt and part out the rest of the gun on eBay and the barreled action on GB. Actually you will probably make money at it... Have MHS find you one. I've never seen anyone with his level of luck finding great guns for next to NOTHING :cuss:

Now of course curiosity is killing me. How the heck do you break a bolt!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I do not believe the bolt is broken as much as worn out, if in fact it is a bolt/firing pin problem.

Cliff Notes Version,
    During a mid-range match, pulled the trigger to break a shot---snap?
    Lift the bolt----BOOM.
    First thought, Hang fire? Never had one, never saw one, heard of them but ??.

Dry fire the rifle several times, firing pin falls, and everything looks in order.

Get back on the gun, 3 rounds fire normally, #4-snap-OH Fudge-
    Gun in my shoulder, pointed in a safe direction, lift the bolt - Boom.
    Done for the day.

Two days later, rifle is supposedly repaired.
    800 yards 5 sighters, 15 rounds for record, no issues. HAZA
    900 yards 2 sighters, 5 rounds for record, all is good --- SNAP --- lift the bolt --- Boom.

Withdrew from the remainder of the matches.

Local guy said he knew exactly what the problem is, and parts are in the mail. Hopefully this will end this drama, and I can get back to shooting.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    For all you google masters, I need help finding a (preferably) complete bolt assembly for a short action, post '64 (push feed), with .308 Win bolt face (.473"?).

EBay and the usual parts suppliers have been fruitless thus far.

Know ye all this. All push feeds were not created equal. Mine is a 66 model and is the same as the original 64 push feed. Sometime in the 70s they changed some things and the bolts are not interchangeable. One torhing they did was put a guide rail in the action (Or on the bolt, not sure) that has a groove in the bolt(or action). This makes the action smoother but not interchangeable with earlier models.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file