brass cleaning media- - - -preferences?

TeachTeach Senior MemberPosts: 18,031 Senior Member
For several years, I've been using corncob media with the Midway citrus-scented booster added to it occasionally. It was time to order another bottle of the booster, and I was shocked at the price they want for it now. I chose to go with a bottle of Lyman "Turbo-Brite" which appears to be some sort of thick liquid detergent without any kind of jeweler's rouge or other abrasive in it. Has anyone had experience with this product?

While I'm asking, has anyone got any comments on ceramic and/or metallic polishing media? Dry or liquid? I use a couple of bowl-type vibrating case cleaners, so I can experiment with various types of media. I do have several years' supply of new, untreared corncob media stashed away, and about the same amount of walnut.
Jerry
Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,681 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    For several years, I've been using corncob media with the Midway citrus-scented booster added to it occasionally. It was time to order another bottle of the booster, and I was shocked at the price they want for it now. I chose to go with a bottle of Lyman "Turbo-Brite" which appears to be some sort of thick liquid detergent without any kind of jeweler's rouge or other abrasive in it. Has anyone had experience with this product?

While I'm asking, has anyone got any comments on ceramic and/or metallic polishing media? Dry or liquid? I use a couple of bowl-type vibrating case cleaners, so I can experiment with various types of media. I do have several years' supply of new, untreared corncob media stashed away, and about the same amount of walnut.
    Jerry

Years ago I went from wet to dry tumbling & stumbled on to small amounts of brasso treating the cobs worked great. I have even used liquid car polish & that shines brass up too.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,031 Senior Member
    Brasso has ammonia in it- - - -no thanks- - - -I want my eyes and ears to stay right where they belong, and ammonia-embrittled cases make me really paranoid!
    Jerry
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,681 Senior Member
    In many years of using it with .45 , .44 , 223 30 30 357 & others I have never split cases or had issues sizing or loading them over & over. That said if it isn't something you would be happy doing then by all means don't do it.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,207 Senior Member
    Frankford Arsenal Corn Cob Media
    Frankford Arsenal Beass Polish
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I'm about half way through the book, Horse Soldiers, about Special Forces sent to fight the Taliban after 9/11.. The fighters they were helping were so low on ammo, they picked up discarded cartridges from the ground and cleaned them with broken glass.

Not sure if that would cut the cases???:uhm:
    Maybe too much abrasion for safe use.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Woodsrunner got recalled to active duty about that time and he says some of the tribesmen he met over there were still using Pattern 53 Enfield muzzleloaders left over from the British occupation. I've got one that's still in shooting condition that came from the bazaar in Kabul about 20 years ago. A friend who was there for about a year brought it back and gave it to me.
    Jerry
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    It's an amazing story. Like going back to the stone age.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,572 Senior Member
    I have been using Turbo Brite, seems to work fine with Lyman Tufnut.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,946 Senior Member
    I personally don't care how shiny it is, I just want it clean inside and out. The beauty of the corn cobb or walnut is it cleans the case inside and out, including the primer pockets. That's why I resize before I tumble. Then, tumble, then I trim cases every 5 resizings, and I cut all the primer pockets to the same depth, make all the flash holes even size, and I will inside turn the necks, all these once in a case's life. All this makes for consistency, which makes me feel good.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,404 Senior Member
    Corn cob. It doesn't hide in primer pockets, and it's not dusty like walnut gets. If the cruds off, its good. I don't care if it's shiny.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 952 Senior Member
    I use corncob and a squirt of Meguiars liquid cleaner/wax. A bottle will last for years and its much cheaper than any brass polish.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 203 Member
    Crushed walnut shell from the pet store and some Nu Finish.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,180 Senior Member
    Me, just treated corn cob media and some kinda liquid to rejuvenate it when it needs it.

Note....do not squirt that stuff on the media and brass in tumbler without first squirting on media alone and giving it a few minutes to run first without brass to spread around and coat the media or you may get gooey junk inside some brass ...........don't ask why I know that.

Walnut AIUI is more of a polisher and corn cob a cleaner. Some folks run corn cob first followed by walnut. Not me, corn cob works fine alone for my purposes.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,120 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    For several years, I've been using corncob media with the Midway citrus-scented booster added to it occasionally.
    I use that exact combo
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,115 Senior Member
    Over the years I have tried almost everything out there from liquid to ceramic beads and I always came back to the cheapest and simplest thing out there, corn cob and a capful of polish. My huge bottle of the Midway stuff barely has a dent in it. I've tried all the little suggestions over the years from using pet store corn cob which was cheaper but was ground too big and barely worked at all and the stuff was too hard to grind down in a blender, to using Brasso as someone had suggested which almost cut my case life in half. There are lots of methods that work to varying degrees but cheap old ground corncob still works for me.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    I've even heard of folks using Kitty Litter.............cheaper, I guess.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,115 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »

Tried that too, it was too light and didn't work very well and broke down to powder pretty quick. Separating the cases was messy too.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,224 Senior Member
    I use lizard bedding from the pet store. It’s ground walnut shells $9 for 3 gallons. No complaints yet.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Thanks, all! I was wondering about how effective the turbo bright was, and apparently it works OK. It's half the price of the Midway stuff these days. The Meguiars liquid polish sounds like a good option, also.

Edit: The comment about cleaner/wax got the wheels turning- - - -Waxing the brass doesn't impress me, as I like it to be able to grip the chamber walls on firing to prevent false pressure signs. This stuff has the abrasive without the wax and it's a professional-quality product:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Super-Duty-Rubbing-Compound-1-Quart-05954/151455536488?epid=1211201087&hash=item2343741568:g:JVkAAOSwdTJaaOzf

Jerry
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,005 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Tried that too, it was too light and didn't work very well and broke down to powder pretty quick. Separating the cases was messy too.

You're supposed to use *USED* kitty litter! Jeez, gotta tell you guys everything... :roll2:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    Nu Finish is supposed to be wax free. It helps keep dust down and leaves a nice finish on the brass. I talked to my reloading friends prior to trying it. That is what they have used for years with no issue.
    zorba wrote: »
    You're supposed to use *USED* kitty litter! Jeez, gotta tell you guys everything... :roll2:

Do i have to remove the tootsi rolls first????? I assume they add a little more compound to the mix for a more polished look, but could be wrong and they might just leave a shitty finish.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,005 Senior Member
    mitdr774 wrote: »
    Do i have to remove the tootsi rolls first????? I assume they add a little more compound to the mix for a more polished look, but could be wrong and they might just leave a shitty finish.

That kinda depends on the consistency of said tootsi rolls - if in doubt, leave 'em in the sun to dry for a day or two before use!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    I've got an idea the Midway stuff is just industrial-strength rubbing compound with a little citrus scent in it- - - - -at twice the price 3M charges! It looks exactly like the 3M product. The bottle even looks the same with a different logo.
    Jerry
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,258 Senior Member
    Teach I am using the lyman stuff but I got it when I bought my lyman tumbler and I haven't used anything else so I don't have anything to compare it to. I have tried corn cob without anything and then added the polish and it did make the brass shinier with the polish. Be sure and follow chief's advice, I have some experience not doing it the right way and it takes a lot of time to clean things after that.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,079 Senior Member
    Switched to steel pins and wet tumbling a couple years ago. Cleaner brass, less mess. But you have the added step of drying and dealing with those tiny pins that seem too move around on their own.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,207 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Switched to steel pins and wet tumbling a couple years ago. Cleaner brass, less mess. But you have the added step of drying and dealing with those tiny pins that seem too move around on their own.

The drying step is why I don’t want to use wet cleaning with pins and sonic solution types.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    And someone said they used some kinda fish tank stuff or something from a pet store for rabbits..............heck just spend a few bucks............why go cheap on media when you have invested so much in reloading already?
    There's always an old pillow case and a clothes dryer- - - - -just wait until Mama's going to be out of the house for a while!
    :jester:
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,305 Senior Member
    I guess I'm the weirdo again. I use about 1 1/2 oz of liquid laundry detergent to a half full vibratory tumbler drum of corn cob media. Pour in the corn cob media and turn the tumbler on, and drizzle the detergent in to mix. It gets the cases pretty clean and no real dust problems.

I've been wondering about using sandblasting media as a case cleaner. It comes in different sizes. Maybe one of the sizes/grades would do a good cleaning job. Might have to pick up a few of the small bags at Harbor Fright next time I'm there and try it out.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file