Spray on scent blockers and hunting shows

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,197 Senior Member
Since I boycotted the super bowl yesterday I was watching more than a few hunting shows. Every show is sponsored by some company claiming there spray on scent blocker is the best. Every show shows each hunter spraying themselves down. Now the best part, almost every hunter gets busted when the winds change or a doe or buck comes from the down wind directions.

I explained this to my wife who started watching and she quickly figured out this is marketing BS 101 for products that don't really work. She said why bother buying the stuff if it doesn't work. I said the commercials make hunters think they have to have the stuff until they watch some shows or get busted on their hunting stands.

Anyone else figured this out on the hunting shows?
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    After I set up camp, go days without a shower, and sleep in an insulated bag with my bad smells, whats gonna mask that?:uhm:

When I was a kid the stove and lantern ran on kerosene. The stuff leaked. Weren't no masking that either.

My dad keeps his clothes and boots outside in the shed for bow hunting and dresses out there, is careful where he walks etc.. He gets alot of deer.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,979 Senior Member
    Hunting in the same clothes I used to wear to muck out barn stalls made me smell a little like cow poop- - - - -which probably worked as well as any expensive scent blocker.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,648 Senior Member
    Many years ago there was a guy named Fred Trost who hosted a long running show called Michigan Out-of-Doors.
    Fred hoisted the BS flag on the scent industry, even proving that human urine worked just as well as high dollar deer pee....
    He ended up getting sued and ruined in the process....

I don't really buy into the whole scent eliminator thing...I have killed a lot of deer by playing the wind though I will admit to using skunk scent to cover my downwind side on a few, rare, occasions...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    My son in law, the sheriff, is a bow hunter and he believes this too. I believe in washing my clothes in unscented detergent you buy at bow hunting shops, but it's not essential. I have a bottle of **** piss because there's coons everywhere on my lease so I just spray **** piss or sometimes I'll use Skunk scent. Both are a dominating smell that will mask most Body Odors or unnatural scent you may bring with you to the hunting field. One guy I know claims to have good luck with Tink's Number 69 which is a buck lure and scent mask. His step dad, who is a friend of mine claims he believes him and his grandfather, another friend, is said to have been converted from a non believer to a passionate believer in the Tink's 69.

After my son in law told me he no longer believed in descenting sprays I thought about it. What could remove scent from your clothes would surely have to be very strong and I don't think I'd want to be exposed to it. Actually, I don't sense descenting spray is very strong at all and as my SIL says, it's a gimmick.
    About 30 years ago one guy that used to allow us to go hunting on his ranch told me to bathe with Ivory Soap, the bar bath soap, not Ivory Snow laundry detergent. Also, double rinse your laundry. Get as much of the soap scent out of it. Rather than try to descent yourself and clothing just don't bring it with you.

There's a lot more to this scent game too. For instance, how many people do I know that will walk a quarter of a mile away from their blind to pee or poop. I think I've busted that theory as well. This year I had a poo attack one morning and went just inside the tree line and did it by a favorite tree. This was directly up wind of where I killed my deer the next day. Both days the wind was out of the north. If you think about it, poo is poo and I don't think deer know their Poo that well. I think if you do it around your lease or hunting area now and then the deer will be used to all poo smells. And Pee also. Every animal in nature is pissing and defecating all over the place. I just don't think that smell is particularly offensive to game.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I remember Fred Trost.
    Saw him make worm cookies once on tv. Nasty looking food.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,782 Senior Member
    Do you spray it on your gun, too?
    I have a need for speed
  • Great OutdoorsGreat Outdoors Member Posts: 181 Member
    Before scent removal sprays-I camped out and deer hunted for a week at a time in the South Carolina heat without a "bath". Wipe down with regular water, dry off and rub down with arm and hammer baking soda and liberally apply it to your stinky areas, put a good amount on your hair and brush it through- removes the dirty, oily, greasy, sweatiness from your hair. I have done this many times and my kill ratio and not getting busted by the deer were off the charts compared to the guys I hunted with- there were usually 10-20 guys camping out back then. I took a box for every day and used it up.

These days, hunting after work, I use the scentkiller spray. It sure seems to work for me mostly- I tested it by smelling a laundered shirt and a stinky hat and spraying them thoroughly and let it dry- them smelled them again. Detergent smell was gone TO MY NOSE and the stinky hat was barely detectable.
    Hunting the SC lowcountry means sweating like a pig while using 2 thermacells for mosquitos and I have better luck using the scentkiller. I still get busted by old mature does at times but not nearly as often as without.
    I don't think any are perfect- sure beats a stinky armpit smell
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,100 Senior Member
    I've got connections, so I don't have to pay for a certain brand of the scent blocker spray. It's gonna take a LOT of scientific evidence to convince me it works or it doesn't. And that takes time. Which I don't have. I may spray down if I think about it. I may not. One things certain I don't go out of my way to de-funk myself, nor do I get all bent about wind direction. Not having a lot of land or even multiple ways to get to a stand, I play the cards in dealt. Which means I may not be set up perfectly for the wind. However, you can kill more deer being in the woods than you can sitting in the house. So I just get out there.
    Also, going through rituals and gyrations to be this that and the other before you even hit the damn woods is work. I want to hunt. Not work. If I don't get the ever elusive 82 point buck, so be it.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,785 Senior Member
    Scent is the sense that sets whitetail deer in motion, no doubt about it. Many times I have watched them watch me, when they could not smell me, due to being upwind, and they were not alarmed -wary, maybe, but not frightened.

I have smoked cigars, peed out the door of my blind, drank coffee, eaten peanuts or sandwiches, you name it, while sitting in an elevated box blind and it has had no ill effects to deer coming down their regular trails, as long as they were upwind. These are my perceptions, based on my experiences. Others have had different experiences. I don't know who is right, but that's the way I hunt.

So, I have never spent the first dime on scent blockers. I just look into the wind, when hunting.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,752 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Scent is the sense that sets whitetail deer in motion, no doubt about it. Many times I have watched them watch me, when they could not smell me, due to being upwind, and they were not alarmed -wary, maybe, but not frightened.

I have smoked cigars, peed out the door of my blind, drank coffee, eaten peanuts or sandwiches, you name it, while sitting in an elevated box blind and it has had no ill effects to deer coming down their regular trails, as long as they were upwind. These are my perceptions, based on my experiences. Others have had different experiences. I don't know who is right, but that's the way I hunt.

So, I have never spent the first dime on scent blockers. I just look into the wind, when hunting.

^^This.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,100 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »

We had a buck that my buddy ended up shooting with his bow come DIRECTLY at us trying to figure out just w t f we were. He got within 15 yards, then slightly angled away and got about 25 yards from us. The whole time he was working downwind trying to smell us. He JUST made to our right (downwind) when he got REAL nervous. I watched him twitch a split second before my buddy loosed an arrow. Had he waited any more time he would have missed. As it was, it was a short tracking job and one of THE coolest hunts I've seen in person.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    NN wrote: »

I don't. No way I'm gonna spray that funky crap on my guns. All I do, I try not to smell too funky or perfumed up. One thing I forgot to mention, I figure deer might can detect human BO so I have some stuff called Lethal that is nothing but unscented stick deodorant. Seems to work. I just take a normal shower, and put that on. Then when I get to the deer blind I spray some **** piss or skunk scent on a cotton ball and throw it out the window. If I'm there for much over two hours I'll throw another cotton ball sprayed with the scent out the window. When I leave I pick them up and put them in a plastic bag and throw it back in the blind most of the time. I'll throw em back out next time.

Come dark thirty there's coons all over the place spreading their scent. Deer will walk right through it and hogs gather at the feeder and don't flinch if a **** or two come up to eat with them. The deer can't hardly smell your gun and if they do it's just another mechanical smell like the wells and equipment around the lease.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,814 Senior Member
    I came home from deer camp after several days smelling pretty funky one time. I sprayed some of that scent remover in my armpit and wiped it off. It made the stink go away. I was so impressed, I started a thread here about it on a previous forum incarnation. Does it help get deer? Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. I personally doubt it. Just do your best to hunt upwind.
  • ar15julesar15jules New Member Posts: 17 New Member
    I have had good luck using scent free detergent. Most importantly, it doesn't have the brighteners in it that off the shelf laundry detergent does. I have also known guys to kill deer while smoking cigarettes. Old mature bucks know people and people scents. They have been around a while. The rut is still your friend and so is hunting the wind. As far as the shows go, they wouldn't exist without the endorsements. I watch them for the pure entertainment value. As far as them getting busted on TV goes, two guys in stands in close proximity or the same tree to film a show isn't really the best scenario to kill a deer. The filming is more important than the shooting from their standpoint. They would be difficult conditions for any of us to hunt. Add a guy holding a professional grade camera and add all the cameras mounted to the tree etc...and it gets even harder.
    ar15jules wrote: »
    I have had good luck using scent free detergent. Most importantly, it doesn't have the brighteners in it that off the shelf laundry detergent does. I have also known guys to kill deer while smoking cigarettes. Old mature bucks know people and people scents. They have been around a while. The rut is still your friend and so is hunting the wind. As far as the shows go, they wouldn't exist without the endorsements. I watch them for the pure entertainment value. As far as them getting busted on TV goes, two guys in stands in close proximity or the same tree to film a show isn't really the best scenario to kill a deer. The filming is more important than the shooting from their standpoint. They would be difficult conditions for any of us to hunt. Add a guy holding a professional grade camera and add all the cameras mounted to the tree etc...and it gets even harder.

I agree about the scent free detergent. Also, anything scent free is your friend. Like I said in one of my posts, I don't have a lot of faith in something removing your scent, but also, the less scent you bring with you the less you have to worry about. They have scent free bath soaps too and those with the scent free tooth paste and deodorant and scent free detergent for your clothes should make you as scent free as you're going to be.
    I forgot about an old stand by scent blocker. Down here, garlic and onions grow wild. I have used a couple cloves of garlic cut open and thrown around the blind. It's very natural and I believe it works. I say I believe, because I'm no research scientist. But my experience says it helps. It will mask a lot of scent and at least around here it's natural in nature. And a biggy for most of us is it's cheap and easy to find right at your favorite Grocery Store or Supermarket.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,424 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    Since I boycotted the super bowl yesterday I was watching more than a few hunting shows. Every show is sponsored by some company claiming there spray on scent blocker is the best. Every show shows each hunter spraying themselves down. Now the best part, almost every hunter gets busted when the winds change or a doe or buck comes from the down wind directions.

I explained this to my wife who started watching and she quickly figured out this is marketing BS 101 for products that don't really work. She said why bother buying the stuff if it doesn't work. I said the commercials make hunters think they have to have the stuff until they watch some shows or get busted on their hunting stands.

Anyone else figured this out on the hunting shows?
    Scent blocking sprays are marginally ok for equipment and such but they do nothing that careful hunter scent control won’t accomplish (washing with with un-scented soaps and wearing rubber boots) so you don’t transfer scents to your equipment. In my experience what does make a difference is scent blocking clothing. Using them on your clothing and your body is useless.

BUT, I can tell you that when I switched to scent blocking clothing my success in seeing deer within shooting distances in the NE woods where a deer has to be CLOSE or you’ll never see it went up to almost 100% on every outing.

Of course two important things need to be taken into consideration. You have to know where the deer are and hunt there, no amount of scent control will get them to where YOU are if it’s a bad location. And also it’s totally dependent on what your local deer are used to and where. Diesel was a normal smell for my deer by my barn so this was not a problem smell for me in the vicinity of the barn. BUT one whiff of my diesel smelling work boots deep into my woods and they were headed for Kansas. They KNOW what smells belong where in their home turf...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,424 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    I’ve sprayed it on bows and other equipment (specially fabric cushions on tree stands) with no I’ll effect. I never clean guns right before hunting season so there are no strong smells emanating from them.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    I've sprayed my guns with everything from Brake Cleaner to Penetrating Oil, to Lube Oil. Never seen a problem with that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file