Remington Outdoor Group Files Bankruptcy Protection

Replies

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,362 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Hopefully they will sell H&R/ NEF to someone that will start making the Handi-Rifles again.

MEH.
    once they became the same pride as a bolt action, they lost their simple appeal.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,704 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    FIFY :tooth: I NEED a couple or three shotguns in 20 and 12 gauge for donor actions for rifle cartridges they never have offered in the Handi-Rifles.
    If they would make a nice slim frame handy rifle in handgun cartridges for about $250 they’d sell millions of them...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • mitdr774mitdr774 Member Posts: 203 Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    If they would make a nice slim frame handy rifle in handgun cartridges for about $250 they’d sell millions of them...

Say a .460 or .500 S&W.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,267 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »

Yes, they would! And the craze for the 10mm would probably justify that chambering. They need to do something with NEF that no gunmaker has done in over half a century. And the internet would make it easy, fast, and simple. Take an online poll for about 3-4 months with a large list of chamberings and let people vote for their choices. Chamberings with most votes get made. Those with not enough votes to make the cut get made on a special order only basis. That would give the people wanting one what they want and NEF wouldn't be making stuff NOBODY wants.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,190 Senior Member
    Yes, they would! And the craze for the 10mm would probably justify that chambering. They need to do something with NEF that no gunmaker has done in over half a century. And the internet would make it easy, fast, and simple. Take an online poll for about 3-4 months with a large list of chamberings and let people vote for their choices. Chamberings with most votes get made. Those with not enough votes to make the cut get made on a special order only basis. That would give the people wanting one what they want and NEF wouldn't be making stuff NOBODY wants.

Heck yes, I’d buy one in 10mm
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,875 Senior Member
    The last H&R I bought was in 22.250. The scope I put on it cost way more than the rifle. I love it. Groups good and fun to shoot.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,599 Senior Member
    FIFY :tooth: I NEED a couple or three shotguns in 20 and 12 gauge for donor actions for rifle cartridges they never have offered in the Handi-Rifles.

The one in .357 mag is one of my favorites, always get looks and "whats that?" at the range
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • ltcnavltcnav New Member Posts: 8 New Member
    Wondered what brands are under Remington flag. Went to their website and found this; More than I knew about;
    We are the world's leading innovator, designer, manufacturer and marketer of firearms, ammunition and related products for the hunting, shooting sports, law enforcement and military markets. As one of the largest manufacturers in the world of firearms and ammunition, we have some of the most globally recognized brands including Remington, Bushmaster Firearms, DPMS/Panther Arms, Marlin, H&R, The Parker Gun, Tapco, Advanced Armament Corp., Dakota Arms, Nesika, Stormlake, Timbersmith and Barnes Bullets.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,075 Senior Member
    ltcnav wrote: »
    <snip>... and Barnes Bullets.
    That explains the Barnes head stamped brass in a Remington box of 300BO ammo I recently purchased.

With the amount of sales ALL through the gun industry in the last 10 years, it would seem a company would have to seriously work HARD to NOT be making money hand over fist.

Everything I've read talked about companies having record firearm and ammunition sales, and "Big Green" does both, yet are filing for bankruptcy.
    Time for a MANAGEMENT CHANGE!!!!
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    With the amount of sales ALL through the gun industry in the last 10 years, it would seem a company would have to seriously work HARD to NOT be making money hand over fist.

That is not hard to figure out. They are owned by a management company. A management company does not care about the long term viability of the companies they acquire. Think of them like spiders: they suck all the juice out and discard the carcass. All of the profits have been funneled out to the parent company. Now that we have a Pro 2A President and the scare is over (for now) they have decided it is time to discard the carcass before sales fall. Funneling the profits to the parent company allows them to file bankruptcy on and unload the holdings while keeping the profits. We can only hope the carcass will be bought by someone who cares about the long term viability of the business, not just a smaller spider looking for any leftover juice.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 980 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    That explains the Barnes head stamped brass in a Remington box of 300BO ammo I recently purchased.

Everything I've read talked about companies having record firearm and ammunition sales, and "Big Green" does both, yet are filing for bankruptcy.
    Time for a MANAGEMENT CHANGE!!!!

Management certainly deserves some of the blame; however, the nearly $1 billion in debt forced on them by Cerebus was crippling. Assuming the debt had an interest rate of 5-10%, they had to come up with $50-100M in cash every year just to pay lenders.

Hopefully, the new owners let them make moves that will rebuild the business. I am rooting for them.
    ltcnav wrote: »
    Wondered what brands are under Remington flag. Went to their website and found this; More than I knew about;
    We are the world's leading innovator, designer, manufacturer and marketer of firearms, ammunition and related products for the hunting, shooting sports, law enforcement and military markets. As one of the largest manufacturers in the world of firearms and ammunition, we have some of the most globally recognized brands including Remington, Bushmaster Firearms, DPMS/Panther Arms, Marlin, H&R, The Parker Gun, Tapco, Advanced Armament Corp., Dakota Arms, Nesika, Stormlake, Timbersmith and Barnes Bullets.

Damn. They should have made an integral suppressed Handi-Rifle.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,143 Senior Member
    Hey, why won't the Govt bail them out? They did it for the automotive industry. Put some guidelines in place and keep a traditional American company going.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,875 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Hey, why won't the Govt bail them out? They did it for the automotive industry. Put some guidelines in place and keep a traditional American company going.

Would love to see Trump do that. Talking about some PO'd folks.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,267 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Heck yes, I’d buy one in 10mm

Maybe I need to float that idea past Remington. Those Handi-Rifle actions are quick to make. And if they made what people REALLY WANTED, not what the bean counters SAID they wanted, they might make a bit of coin in the process.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,910 Senior Member
    10canyon53 wrote: »
    That is not hard to figure out. They are owned by a management company. A management company does not care about the long term viability of the companies they acquire. Think of them like spiders: they suck all the juice out and discard the carcass. All of the profits have been funneled out to the parent company. Now that we have a Pro 2A President and the scare is over (for now) they have decided it is time to discard the carcass before sales fall. Funneling the profits to the parent company allows them to file bankruptcy on and unload the holdings while keeping the profits.
    Sadly, that is exactly what they did. They bought the company, piled a ton of debt on its shoulders, then funneled the profits to the parent company in the form of management fees, leaving Remington withering.
    Maybe I need to float that idea past Remington. Those Handi-Rifle actions are quick to make. And if they made what people REALLY WANTED, not what the bean counters SAID they wanted, they might make a bit of coin in the process.

Eh. They wont make it until either Ruger or Mossberg makes a better version. Then they will make a knockoff with poor QC, and charge 50% more.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,981 Senior Member
    Would love to see Trump do that. Talking about some PO'd folks.

It'd be worth it just to watch the **** storm: :fan:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    Big Chief wrote: »

There is no need for a government bailout. Cerberus’s equity was wiped out and the company is now owned by its creditors. New lenders have stepped in to finance the company’s operations.
    The US government has ZERO business using my tax dollars to prop up a failed company.
    Zee
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,517 Senior Member
    I don't mind the government bailing out essential industries finding themselves temporarily on the rocks - so long as they pay the government back in full, as Chrysler did decades ago and GM did recently. Arms makers are important. If the poo-poo hits the windmill, and things go far enough 'south,' the M4 rifles issued to our soldiers might have "Remington" stamped in their receivers instead of 'FN.' So might lots of other needed small arms. And you can be sure they'll be fed Remington ammunition, along with every other major brand.

I don't care a whit about renewable energy companies like Solyndra; the eco-chondriac, climate change and peak oil nonsense they were founded on is junk science anyway. Just like I have no 'current' interest in electric cars or autonomous vehicles - that stuff is for the free market to sort out. But guns and ammo are national security issues. I would also have no compunction about bailing out GE's Electric Boat Division, or Lockheed or Boeing or Raytheon - the Pentagon needs ships and planes and missiles and rockets. And they need domestic suppliers for all of it.

But, as I already said, the bailed out companies must be managed with government oversight, insuring they pay back what they 'borrowed.'
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,655 Senior Member
    I guess now it will be tough to find parts for the 3 Remington 700 builds I was planning on doing.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,764 Senior Member
    Remington managed to chamber their AR in the instant flop, the 30 AR Remington. And they priced it way too high.

They also sold .223 ARs that were essentially rebranded Bushmasters.....actually a really good rifle albeit a tad pricey for what you were getting.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Old Ron wrote: »
    I guess now it will be tough to find parts for the 3 Remington 700 builds I was planning on doing.

Why? There's millions of them out there. Aftermarket isn't going to stop. And, the new owners will keep producing them.
    Zee
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,114 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    The US government has ZERO business using my tax dollars to prop up a failed company.

Where was your bitchin when GM got bailed out? The government handed them 39 BILLION and they only paid 27 -28 billion back and our government called it good. Bailing out Reminton would be chump change compared to that.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Where was your bitchin when GM got bailed out? The government handed them 39 BILLION and they only paid 27 -28 billion back and our government called it good. Bailing out Reminton would be chump change compared to that.

Again, Remington doesn’t need a bailout. Bankruptcy will clear the company’s debts and alllow (but not guarantee) it a chance to recover profitability.

Lenders will pay the price, not taxpayers.
    I did bitch about it.
    Zee
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,543 Senior Member

There was a bunch of bitchin about that.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    I did bitch about it.

We all bitched about it
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,655 Senior Member
    Why? There's millions of them out there. Aftermarket isn't going to stop. And, the new owners will keep producing them.

I hope you are right but if they go like the older gun parts the prices will get all jacked up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file