The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Comments

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,895 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Spent most all of the weekend making metal chips. Power feed for the mill is close to done. I'm not saying power feed on a mill is life changing, I'm saying power feed on a mill is life changing. It turned a machine that I was many wild about operating, into one that I'll be looking for excuses to operate.

Just wait until you put the power feed in the WRONG direction for the first time and ruin something! :rotflmao: (been there, done that! :cuss::cuss::cuss:)
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,652 Senior Member
    Looking forward to the deets there, CPJ. Bet it was an interesting project!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,045 Senior Member
    Video showing the "expert" setup for testing.....
    https://youtu.be/S1rCdGV2Mj4
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Proof of concept!

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    zorba wrote: »
    Proof of concept!

Had to. I got it JUST far enough along to test function. Wasn't positive the motor had enough chooch to turn it. But it did. Once I proved it, I was able to continue.
    Zee
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,042 Senior Member
    Spent most all of the weekend making metal chips. Power feed for the mill is close to done. I'm not saying power feed on a mill is life changing, I'm saying power feed on a mill is life changing. It turned a machine that I was many wild about operating, into one that I'll be looking for excuses to operate.

Did the rifle rest project go to, oh look, a puppy!
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 129 Member
    the projectiles are probably starting to decompose by now! :>
    Retired Military Aviation
    Former Member Navy Shooting Team
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    Insurance companies! Almost as bad as banks.

I have a small claim going, and have established an email link with their rep (who seems to be both nice and competent). Do they tell said rep that they needed additional documentation so she could email me and I could email it back to her the same day? Nope. Instead they bypass her altogether to send US Snail by both regular AND CERTIFIED THAT I HAVE TO GO TO THE DAMN POST OFFICE TO PICK UP!!!! :angry::cuss::angry:

How 20th century!

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,465 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Insurance companies! Almost as bad as banks.

I have a small claim going, and have established an email link with their rep (who seems to be both nice and competent). Do they tell said rep that they needed additional documentation so she could email me and I could email it back to her the same day? Nope. Instead they bypass her altogether to send US Snail by both regular AND CERTIFIED THAT I HAVE TO GO TO THE DAMN POST OFFICE TO PICK UP!!!! :angry::cuss::angry:

How 20th century!

Well, if you would buy a decent phone, they could text it to you:jester:
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,737 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »

:rotflmao::rotflmao:
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »

Yea, yea - why would I want documents sent to my FONE? The rep has my email - but corporate has their heads where corporates ALWAYS have their heads, so there ya go!

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,976 Senior Member
    Wasn't positive the motor had enough chooch to turn it.

Way too late in the game to suggest it, but a set of 2:1 reduction gears between the motor shaft and the jackscrew would give you a better range of speed control, and more torque on the jackscrew. You could also slide the gears in/out of mesh to provide for hand cranking of the leadscrew.

For instance:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing-Axial-1-10-Yeti-38t-13t-Steel-Diff-Bevel-Gear-Set-stock-SWRA9383/292301183265?_trkparms=aid%3D555019%26algo%3DPL.BANDIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160706104836%26meid%3Dcda473d683624a02a9b692a15ae52674%26pid%3D100642%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D292301183265&_trksid=p2045573.c100642.m3226

There are also straight cut spur gears available.

Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Video showing the "expert" setup for testing.....
    https://youtu.be/S1rCdGV2Mj4

That looks suspiciously like a window motor for a vehicle, and the 12V battery makes me thing I'm right!! What Jerry suggested is a really good idea. The more speeds you have and the more torque you can produce with the gears will make the thing work really smooth and make it easy on the motor.

Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Did the rifle rest project go to, oh look, a puppy!

Pretty much done. Ill build a couple, and that's it. Tired of messing with them.
    But the power feed needed to be done before I continued with the rest.
    Zee
    Teach wrote: »
    Way too late in the game to suggest it, but a set of 2:1 reduction gears between the motor shaft and the jackscrew would give you a better range of speed control, and more torque on the jackscrew. You could also slide the gears in/out of mesh to provide for hand cranking of the leadscrew.

For instance:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing-Axial-1-10-Yeti-38t-13t-Steel-Diff-Bevel-Gear-Set-stock-SWRA9383/292301183265?_trkparms=aid%3D555019%26algo%3DPL.BANDIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160706104836%26meid%3Dcda473d683624a02a9b692a15ae52674%26pid%3D100642%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D292301183265&_trksid=p2045573.c100642.m3226

There are also straight cut spur gears available.

Jerry

It would give more umph, but this surprisingly had enough.
    tennmike wrote: »
    That looks suspiciously like a window motor for a vehicle, and the 12V battery makes me thing I'm right!! What Jerry suggested is a really good idea. The more speeds you have and the more torque you can produce with the gears will make the thing work really smooth and make it easy on the motor.
    Its a power seat motor. Got gear reduction built I.
    Zee
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    That looks suspiciously like a Rube Goldberg machine

FIFY
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,068 Senior Member

Its a power seat motor. Got gear reduction built I.

its designed to move our fat rears around- I can see that having enough oopfh.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    FIFY

Just wait, you sayer of nay. Prototype was sketchy as hell. Final version will be very nice.
    Zee
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    its designed to move our fat rears around- I can see that having enough oopfh.

True, and the main reason I snagged it. I've seen window motors, and wiper motors used with success. Figured this was one better. And it was cheap. However I need to buy a couple more. Since it was a surplus product, and I don't know exactly what it truly is (other than rumored to be a GM product) I don't want it to go TU and not have a replacement. Although I've attempted to build so that I can adapt a different one if I had to.
    Zee
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,976 Senior Member
    Doing a little salvage yard scavenging might be an option, especially if you can find a seat they can't sell easily because of crash damage or torn/worn upholstery. Some fancy power seats have 2-3 motors each.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
    Teach wrote: »
    Doing a little salvage yard scavenging might be an option, especially if you can find a seat they can't sell easily because of crash damage or torn/worn upholstery. Some fancy power seats have 2-3 motors each.
    Jerry
    Good back up. Knowing a guy who owns a parts store who will let me unbox stuff helps too. :tooth:
    Having the tools to do it, means I can make damn near anything fit. Hell if I add a hose clamp I will be able to adapt a cordless drill and make it work. Which was actually the original plan. It would work fine, just look a lot redneck. I figured for $15 on Amazon I could make it look at professional.
    Zee

Its a power seat motor. Got gear reduction built In.

The GOOD window raise/lower motors ALSO have gear reduction. I have three that are going to get repurposed for something similar. Mine are worm gear drive; worm on the motor shaft driving a 10:1 reduction gear. And I just happen to have a spare set of gears for one of those little 10" metal lathes; something like 20 gears in the set. I can have anything from jackrabbit fast to slower than a lethargic turtle. I got the little metal lathe for $20 from a guy that burned out the motor, and the bushings for the headstock are toast because he didn't keep them oiled. I love deals like that. I have a small 3 jaw chuck that is in great shape with a spare set of jaws!

Get home this afternoon get the fire going and a few other daily chores. Take the work boots off to put on my old kick around the house crocks (they stay by my couch in the gameroom) there was only 1. Look allover the place and finally go outside and see it on the deck. Chewed to shreds. After going in the house to go off on the misses about the 2 boxers I come back out to the gameroom to watch the news. After it goes off I go over to the place where my laptop sits. Grab it to get on the internet to see what is going on. HMMM........where is my mouse and mouse pad. Back out in the yard where I find them chewed to pieces. Back into the house to go off again and explain to her she better be glad she married a responsible gun owner or.................:tooth: That doggie door I built so they could go in and out is fixing to get shut with them on the outside. They have never done this stuff. They 1 year old now so I guess in doggie years it's the terrible 2's. :angry::cuss::cuss:

Took me 10 minutes to type this without a handheld mouse. I hate using the one on the laptop. Crap just jumps all over the place.
    Sounds like it's time for Terminator012 to build those pooches an outdoor condo. Or go to the Tennessee Farmer's Co-op and buy one of them calf igloos; they'd be plenty big enough for 2 dogs and you could keep it pretty warm, too.

Sounds like it's time for Terminator012 to build those pooches an outdoor condo. Or go to the Tennessee Farmer's Co-op and buy one of them calf igloos; they'd be plenty big enough for 2 dogs and you could keep it pretty warm, too.

I'm with ya 100%. Problem is, since the kids moved out these pooches are mommas new kids.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    Just wait, you sayer of nay. Prototype was sketchy as hell. Final version will be very nice.

The thing about a Rube Goldberg device is that it works, just seems to be sketchy as hell.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    I'm with ya 100%. Problem is, since the kids moved out these pooches are mommas new kids.

That's why we build man cave areas to keep kids of all sizes & shapes out . They are welcome when there but kicked out before the lights go off. The only pets I have are dust bunnies they don't eat but do make a mess .
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 565 Senior Member

When momma's not looking, give the dogs a couple of her favorite objects to chew. :devil: Just don't get caught.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,785 Senior Member
    10canyon53 wrote: »
    When momma's not looking, give the dogs a couple of her favorite objects to chew. :devil: Just don't get caught.
    :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,895 Senior Member
    Last night I drove my kids home from their after school stuff.

From the backseat I hear, “Averie, my Peter is standing up!”

I have two girls 8 and 5.

After almost choking on my laughter, surprise and confusion I remembered. They both got Peter Rabbit toys from McDonald’s.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file