Optics/sights for ARs

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior MemberPosts: 969 Senior Member
I am about to purchase my first AR. Unless I change my mind, I’ll be getting a Ruger MPR.
Usage: plinking, fun target shooting and eventually hog hunting. I don’t care about using it for home defense.

Would I be better off:
1) Flip up “iron” sights for plinking. What should I get?

2) until I can afford a really nice scope (I don’t buy Bad glass anymore), would borrowing a cheap Vortex 2-7 scope from my shotgun (no more shotgun only deer seasons for me :-)) be a decent solution? If so, what are some good mounts to look at?

Comments

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,619 Senior Member
    Scope on the MPR with all its extras like free floated bbl/better trigger/longer bbl and furniture.

I own both and so far have keep the regular 556 with the flip-ups it came with except tried a red dot which sucked for me on it.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,630 Senior Member
    Magpul BUIS give you an affordable set of "irons"......less than a hundred bucks a set..

There is a whole world of optics out there....Vortex made a good variety...but you can spend as much as you want on other options...One of the most useful optics I've used is the Millet DMS (Designated Marksman Scope) well thought out and designed....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,784 Senior Member
    Scope will probably have a pretty thick reticle, making accuracy work difficult.

Considering mounts: Either some extra high Burris Signature Zee rings

A couple of companies make 1 piece mounts

Or, I bought a set of these Nikon P series 2 piece mounts to try on my 300BO upper (Still acquiring parts prior to assembly)
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00125835/p-series-2-piece-ar-15-picatinny-scope-mount-with-integrated-rings-matte-finish

Edited to add: Haven't felt the need for BUIS on any of my AR uppers
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,441 Senior Member
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Scope will probably have a pretty thick reticle, making accuracy work difficult.

Considering mounts: Either some extra high Burris Signature Zee rings

A couple of companies make 1 piece mounts

Or, I bought a set of these Nikon P series 2 piece mounts to try on my 300BO upper (Still acquiring parts prior to assembly)
    https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00125835/p-series-2-piece-ar-15-picatinny-scope-mount-with-integrated-rings-matte-finish

Edited to add: Haven't felt the need for BUIS on any of my AR uppers

I normally use the Burris PEPR for mounting optics on AR platforms, however on my last rifle build I used the P series mounts that Knite mentioned because they were included with the Nikon scope I put on the rifle.....they worked out nicely....
  • SIGgalSIGgal Senior Member Posts: 1,656 Senior Member
    I am building like my 6th AR and stumped on optics as well. I have Aimpoint PRO red dot optics on most of mine, but am looking at Vortex optics on my current build. Vortex does not come with rings apparently, so that's another project for me.
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,713 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Haven't felt the need for BUIS on any of my AR uppers

This...but I only have one.

If my choices were iron sights or the 2-7scope, I would probably take Jayhawker's advise and put the Magpul BUIS on it until I got the scope I wanted.

My AR started life with irons, then I added a red dot, then I pulled off the irons and the red dot. Put a Vortex 1-4 on it and have desire for anything else. Two eyes open shooting with just enough magnification to reach out a little.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
    SIGgal wrote: »
    I am building like my 6th AR and stumped on optics as well. I have Aimpoint PRO red dot optics on most of mine, but am looking at Vortex optics on my current build. Vortex does not come with rings apparently, so that's another project for me.

It depends on what Vortex product you're getting...some have built-in mounts...the SPARC and SPARC II for instance....
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    I tried a Leupold mount and it was to close, they are the same style and size as the PEPR. I found that a longer Stoner from Midway gave me the little extra length to get the scope away from my eye. One rifle is carrying the Leupold 1-4 MK AR and the other is a vortex 1-4. Any problems shooting with them has not been because of the scope.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,264 Senior Member
    I'd go scope. My first choice in the economy price range would be the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,067 Senior Member
    I would go with a 1-4 or 1-6x scope. I really like the Millett DMS I have, and I have heard really good things about the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,892 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I would go with a 1-4 or 1-6x scope. I really like the Millett DMS I have, and I have heard really good things about the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6

Yup, this. One other option is the Primary Arms 1-6x. Same basic price point as the other two with a different reticle.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,642 Senior Member
    I'd go scope. My first choice in the economy price range would be the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just started using one of these on a recent build and I've been very pleased.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,761 Senior Member
    I started with flip up sights, then a SPARC, and finally settled on a Leupold 1-4x shotgun scope. Yes, the reticle is too thick for shooting tiny targets at 100 yards. But, I only cared about beer can accuracy at 100 yards or a little more, and it is fine for that. In fact, when I have something the size of a paper plate to aim at, I am fairly consistently in the center of it at ranges beyond 100 yards. If your eyes can still pick up the bulls-eye at 50 yards and beyond, the red dots work fine. If you need magnification, the 1-4x works well, without giving up the ability to shoot fairly quickly at short range.
    Yup, this. One other option is the Primary Arms 1-6x. Same basic price point as the other two with a different reticle.

I have a PA 1-4 on a rifle, one buddy has the 1-6 on his AR, and another guy I know has the 1-8 on his AR. They are all REALLY solid glass, and probably made in the same factory in China that the Vortex is.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,892 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    I have a PA 1-4 on a rifle, one buddy has the 1-6 on his AR, and another guy I know has the 1-8 on his AR. They are all REALLY solid glass, and probably made in the same factory in China that the Vortex is.

Are any of you using the ACSS reticle? I have been curious about it.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,225 Senior Member
    My only suggestion is make sure the reticle works well with your main purpose(s). I really like the Strike Eagle style action/CQB/quick type for action shooting but when I am looking for a little more precise shot it is a little thick and kinda awkward to use.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    Are any of you using the ACSS reticle? I have been curious about it.

both the 1-6 and 1-8 have that, and love it. The holdovers are close, but not 100% absolute... but that's to be expected once you start getting out to 400 yards with the differences in barrels, bullets, altitude, humidity, etc...
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,036 Senior Member
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    I have a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4 scope mounted in a Burris PEPR QD that I'm happy with. I went with the non-illuminated reticle, and at the time I bought it (Aug '16 IIRC), Leupold had a rebate knocking another $50 off.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362370420/leupold-mark-ar-mod-1-rifle-scope-15-4x-20mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-matte
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member
    Ditto on the P-series mounts.

I put this scope on my Ruger MPR..........the sticker helped me decide :tooth::roll2::roll2:

Actually not a bad scope for the money.

C9aRjLB.jpg
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    You can also reverse those P-series mounts.

Only other thing I did to the rifle was put a Gunfighter extended charging handle on it so I can mo easy pull it because of the scope.
    That is a Bushnell 4.5-18 AR 223 Drop Zone scope. Seems to work just fine and you can get them on sale (around $120) as the new line is coming out.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-ar-optics-4-5-18x40-riflescope-w-bdc-reticle-matte-black.html
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 969 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    That is a Bushnell 4.5-18 AR 223 Drop Zone scope. Seems to work just fine and you can get them on sale (around $120) as the new line is coming out.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-ar-optics-4-5-18x40-riflescope-w-bdc-reticle-matte-black.html
    While unpacking, I found a nice gift from the parts stash - a Cabela’s Insticnct Euro Scope (aka Meopta) in 4-12 x 50 that didn’t fit on another rifle.  I liked it so much that I put it away for a new project.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file