Old Guns ......New Guns

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Old Ron wrote: »
    It's a HY Hunter made in west Germany.

Looks great!
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,418 Senior Member
    Not at all .......I don't mind anyone asking me anything really.I am on here to learn new things & have conversations with anyone that wan't to talk with me ......( some days I just talk to myself ) .....That's a sign.
    The one on the right is a Connecticut valley arms Navy model reproduction black powder The on on the left is Richland Arms Black powder .44 reproduction. At one point years ago I thought black powder would be fun soon to find out not so much for me.

Thank you!
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,487 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    The bottom one in the case looks like it would be good for repelling boarders, how big is the bore?

My gauge says 45 ......could always throw it at someone. If I remember right it really jumped & let out a big puff of smoke. I had to walk to the target to see if I hit it.
    Well decided on taking 2 guns to try to sell at the flea market. 1 shotgun & 1 pistol. I may just take them back to the truck if some jerk gets to fingering them to much. I think I know why I really never do this now. Oh well tomorrow will tell me a lot.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,487 Senior Member
    My gauge says 45 ......could always throw it at someone. If I remember right it really jumped & let out a big puff of smoke. I had to walk to the target to see if I hit it.

Hey, grape shot, it doubles as a bludgeoning instrument, AND a smoke screen, whats not to like.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    Hey, grape shot, it doubles as a bludgeoning instrument, AND a smoke screen, whats not to like.

:rotflmao: It was interesting to mess with black powder just way to slow & messy for me. I have around fifty pounds of black powder to play with this summer. I may shoot paper out of my cannon a few times. ( very small cannon 1" bore )
    Off shopping for snow blower parts , wood working supply s & body work supply s. That's the easy part ......then back to work on stocks & the wagon. I need to knock some of this out before the grass starts growing. Speaking of growing I need to get my tobacco plants started by next month. Finding space is the big problem. Last year I had it all set up in my living room for 3 months....... real happy I wasn't married then. With a man cave house I can get away with doing things like that.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,487 Senior Member
    :rotflmao: It was interesting to mess with black powder just way to slow & messy for me. I have around fifty pounds of black powder to play with this summer. I may shoot paper out of my cannon a few times. ( very small cannon 1" bore )

"Steelies", ball bearings to some, may shoot well out of a similar cannon and make some impressive marks on Poplar trees, so I am told.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    If I find some laying around the shop I probably would try blowing a few things out the cannon. If I can remember where I put the little roll of fuse I have around here. ( things hide on me here )
    I picked up some acetone yesterday & plunked the stock parts in it. Right away I could see oil releasing. I will peek at them later today & see how they are doing. At the paint store the acetone was $18 and at the farm & fleet it was $12 .
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,589 Senior Member
    I picked up some acetone yesterday & plunked the stock parts in it. Right away I could see oil releasing. I will peek at them later today & see how they are doing. At the paint store the acetone was $18 and at the farm & fleet it was $12 .

You have a Fleet Farm!!?? I hate you!! That's my favorite store in the world!! It's like if Cabela's and Lowes and Tractor Supply had a love child!! The store in Sheboygan even sells beer!!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    You have a Fleet Farm!!?? I hate you!! That's my favorite store in the world!! It's like if Cabela's and Lowes and Tractor Supply had a love child!! The store in Sheboygan even sells beer!!

If it makes you feel better Al we have 2 in town & 4 within 20 miles of town. ( Free popcorn too ! )
    I removed the wood & dried it off a bit ......not looking to bad for the oil removal. I will let it kick a few days before I start the sanding & repairs on it.

Doing some repair work on a couple stocks......getting flash backs of wood shop in school. These are cheap guns so can't loose much if I mess them up. All this drying time stuff really prolongs the time to do a project.
    With all the drying times I seem to have I started trying to find more floor space in my reloading room. ( that didn't go so well ) I did find more checkering tools so now I have all I need for now except the courage to get at one. Only a couple more stress cracks in the one stock then sand & finish that one too. I will have more projects hanging & drying than a Chinese laundry.
    Worked in the reloading room for 3 hours.........I now have close to one more inch of space.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,435 Senior Member
    If it makes you feel better Al we have 2 in town & 4 within 20 miles of town. ( Free popcorn too ! )
    I removed the wood & dried it off a bit ......not looking to bad for the oil removal. I will let it kick a few days before I start the sanding & repairs on it.
    I'm surprised the acetone did not damage the plastic buttplate and spacer.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • HappySquidHappySquid Member Posts: 209 Member
    Bakelite :)
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm surprised the acetone did not damage the plastic buttplate and spacer.

You take all that off then after they dry out ..... put them back on for sanding. Seems to be a lot more work to restore stocks than it is to start with new wood. Both have a ton of sanding to do. I have no idea how these will turn out but I am taking my time & trying to do a nice job. ( learning a lot too ) I lost my edge scribe for checkering some place. In the mess I am in that comes as no big surprise . Last night I renewed my bid on those 14 old guns ....that I bid a year ago. It would be nice to get those....... because I have so few things to do ! :rotflmao:
    Well I managed to get a few more hours in sorting in the reloading room. I can really get distracted in there. Found around 15 barrels & no guns for them to go on. I did manage to get more space to work so that is a good thing. Some of the old gun stocks must have been made out of real crappy wood. Less grain in them that plywood. Not real interesting to look at. I did grab one of my 22 250 actions & barrel & stock & was trying to see what it might look like done. Wrapped it back up & said ......" to many projects going now so don't think about it ! " But it still would be nice to have to shoot this summer. ( just saying )
    This work thing is over rated ! It seems like I no more than grab sandpaper or oil & work calls.Late nights & early morning is the only time to move forward with projects. ( barking dogs at night isn't a big help ) I like the dogs .......just not the owners so much. Finally the peaces that I am working on are coming to life . I think when I start the finish on the better wood I will be real happy with the looks. I'm fighting between hi gloss & satin for the final look. Depth is the goal I want to
    get.
    Will wax work as a release for epoxy ? I want to tighten up the stock on a old shotgun using 2 part epoxy & don't want the action to stick while the epoxy drys.
    Off to a slow start today with projects. A buddy called & needed me to drive a semi across town for him. It's cold & damp outside so time for wood in & hitting projects. Did see some homes in Chicago yesterday that made me realize just how poor I am. ( but I'm a happy poor guy )
    Will wax work as a release for epoxy ? I want to tighten up the stock on a old shotgun using 2 part epoxy & don't want the action to stick while the epoxy drys.
    Just about any oil or grease will do as a release agent. I use whatever is handy including CLP and sometimes spray cooking oil. For the last 10 years or so I have given up on two part liquid epoxy and have done just about ALL of my bedding work with plumbers two part putty epoxy. It works GREAT and it's easy to sand, shape and paint and it does not want to run all over the gun and stock as the darn liquid stuff.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Just about any oil or grease will do as a release agent. I use whatever is handy including CLP and sometimes spray cooking oil. For the last 10 years or so I have given up on two part liquid epoxy and have done just about ALL of my bedding work with plumbers two part putty epoxy. It works GREAT and it's easy to sand, shape and paint and it does not want to run all over the gun and stock as the darn liquid stuff.

Does that putty stain ? Might be worth a try. So it is as hard as bedding resin too ?
    Put the first coat on the new wood . Figured I better start matching the old wood before I get to far down the road & have to do a turn around.

Does that putty stain ? Might be worth a try. So it is as hard as bedding resin too ?
    It does not stain and it hardens as tough as the liquid stuff. My .35 Whelen is a STOMPER and it's bedded with the putty. Sub MOA shooter with anything I've fed through it and no issues with the bedding since it was done years ago.

As added benefits there is no need for annoying modeling clay dams and any extra that squeezes out of the barrel channel or stock can be immediately cleaned with an exacto knife for a perfect edge. If you do it right you can bed the gun, wait for it to cure and then just torque down without having to take the action out of the stock for cleanup. Much more precise that using two part liquid in my experience.
    It does not stain and it hardens as tough as the liquid stuff. My .35 Whelen is a STOMPER and it's bedded with the putty. Sub MOA shooter with anything I've fed through it and no issues with the bedding since it was done years ago.

As added benefits there is no need for annoying modeling clay dams and any extra that squeezes out of the barrel channel or stock can be immediately cleaned with an exacto knife for a perfect edge. If you do it right you can bed the gun, wait for it to cure and then just torque down without having to take the action out of the stock for cleanup. Much more precise that using two part liquid in my experience.

I just put that on my todo list. Lowels should have that here. Sounds way better & cleaner than the bed rock I have been using.I would imagine it is a white or grey .....have you ever tried to color it ? Does it sand ?
    I just put that on my todo list. Lowels should have that here. Sounds way better & cleaner than the bed rock I have been using.I would imagine it is a white or grey .....have you ever tried to color it ? Does it sand ?
    Lowes has it in stock, yes it's normally white or grey. I've thought about coloring it but haven't gotten to it. If you decide to try I'd love to see the results and yes it sands and paints VERY well. Just know that the fit is tight and even ONE layer of paint will change the fit so you do not want to paint any contact surfaces.
    Lowes has it in stock, yes it's normally white or grey. I've thought about coloring it but haven't gotten to it. If you decide to try I'd love to see the results and yes it sands and paints VERY well. Just know that the fit is tight and even ONE layer of paint will change the fit so you do not want to paint any contact surfaces.

Went to lowes & they said there is no such thing .......would you have a brand name ? Didn't really surprise me because I asked the same store for rotten stone & got the you have to be kidding & sent to lawn & garden for stump rot. It can be a real problem finding things here.
    Went to lowes & they said there is no such thing .......would you have a brand name ? Didn't really surprise me because I asked the same store for rotten stone & got the you have to be kidding & sent to lawn & garden for stump rot. It can be a real problem finding things here.
    Show the mouth breather at Lowes this picture or order online...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/J-B-WELD-2-oz-Epoxy-Adhesive/3389026?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-Paint-_-Glue-_-3389026:J-B_WELD&CAWELAID=&kpid=3389026&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=682&k_clickID=6e335381-3565-484c-9649-031e6e2845c3&gclid=CjwKCAiAlL_UBRBoEiwAXKgW54Zsplerg14iHYbl3Ciul4LM-IHOu_cc0CmcvGEvVhFs4fwfcJDmfxoC6vQQAvD_BwE

043425082770.jpg

I've been thinking of trying this "High Temp" type but quite frankly the normal stuff is stronger and it has never let me down so the energy level is low for the experiment

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-84333-Epoxy-High-Temp/dp/B017800W1Q/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1519427445&sr=8-23&keywords=two+part+epoxy+putty

51nxNbPWXWL.jpg

So if you feel the need to do some experimenting for science... :tooth:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file