How do You Brew Your Coffee?

13»

Replies

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,636 Senior Member
    If I make a full pot of drip coffee in the Braun I drink too much. I use the Keurig to limit how much I have since I really am a creature of habit. One 16 ounce mug first thing, breakfast and then a 16 ounce mug after.

I have become a fan of the 8 O'Clock Keurig Original K-Cup coffee.

I also have these so I can make any coffee I want: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DS6VIZS/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01DS6VIZS&pd_rd_wg=oXr6j&pd_rd_r=RC41TFM39NSQWQ9S2X6D&pd_rd_w=x1DlI

41lvF3llu8L.jpg

If I have coffee after 2 pm I don't sleep well.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,220 Senior Member
    Yeah, I got that setup with my K-pot. I'll try it again this afternoon with real coffee.

Black Rifle Coffee is good, but to me, not better enough than Peet's to justify the higher cost.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,027 Senior Member
    I see those K cup things have been on the news for starting fires----so----IMO don't leave then plugged in when not in use.
    I have a need for speed
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,027 Senior Member
    I tried Peet's; thought it smelled weird.
    I have a need for speed
    Peet's, Ned, not peat...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,036 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    That’s the one I use too. San Francisco Bay broke the Keurig patent and came up with a paper cartridge that sells for cheaper than everyone else because they don’t pay a licensing fee. Their French Roast is excellent!!!
    My wife likes the Caribou Coffee Caribou Blend but Sam's quit carrying it in store a year ago now they quit it online. The only place I can find it for a reasonable cost is Amazon now. That San Francisco stuff is 35 cents a pod on Amazon (there isn't a Costco nearby). I am going to pick up a variety pack and check it out.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 2,933 Senior Member
    I'm going to look those SF cups up. I use an off brand single cup machine that uses cups and has a filter basket as well. I've been using the Wally World brand "Blonde" cups. I only drink one cup in the morning to get moving most of the time. Sometimes I have 2 cups on weekends. I buy a 48 cup box and Wally World and it lasts me around a month and a half. Add me as another that can't drink coffee late in the day. I won't sleep worth a crap. Heck, even a glass of iced tea will keep me awake if I drink it too late. Not much of a caffeine junky. I know people who drink energy drinks all day and are still tired half the time and get headaches when they don't have any. Screw that. My caffeine tolerance is nice and low, so half a cup of coffee in the morning has me wide awake... My mom has to have 3 cups before her brain even realizes her body is awake...
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,584 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    I really find this amazing....I can drink leaded coffee all day and go to sleep without a problem.....hell, I can fall asleep while I'm drinking coffee....

I drink coffee that is black as sin all day long and then go to sleep at night with no problem. The coffee in the Navy poured a lot like molasses on a cold morning; just use your knife to cut it off when the cup was full. :roll2:

And lets face it; decaf coffee is like a hooker that just wants to snuggle. :tooth:
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,552 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    If I have coffee after 2 pm I don't sleep well.

Hits everybody differently. I can drink a cup, hop in bed, and go right to sleep.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,552 Senior Member
    This is what I get at Ollie's, for $9.99 a box. Which comes out to $.25/K-cup. Taste great to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Aspen-Ridge-Coffee-Donut-Shop/dp/B0722XYJL4
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,965 Senior Member
    I use a Mr Coffee or one of the other cheap drip machines, I don’t even know what brand. I make an 8 cup pot in the morning and that is usually enough. My coffee is hotter and blacker than the sins of hell.

I completely agree with Tennmike about decaf coffee.

I can drink coffee all day and half the night and fall asleep no problem.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,640 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »

And lets face it; decaf coffee is like a hooker that just wants to snuggle. :tooth:

This saying, I will be keeping.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,291 Senior Member
    I agree. Even a very cheap K-Cup is $.50 ea, and I'm pretty sure I'm spending $.05-$.10 ea using pour over. Additionally, it's always bothered me a bit that K-Cups are not recyclable, similar to why I rarely use plastic water bottles.

K cups are recyclable. I can get a 42 pack of french roast at Rural king for 12 bucks for daily drivers. https://www.ruralking.com/victor-allen-42ct-french-roast.html

I buy some high end stuff at Keurig.com on the sale days. I have become a fan of Barrista Prima http://www.keurig.com/Beverages/Coffee/The-European-Coffee-House-K-Cup%C2%AE-Variety-Pack/p/European-Coffeehouse-Variety-Pack Peets and Laughing man out of AU

Prior to that I used a Faberware percolator. Still have it. I dont like drip coffee out of whatever machine.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,989 Senior Member
    Coffee used to keep me awake, when I was young, probably because working kept me from drinking it continuously all day long, so I never developed a resistance to caffeine. However, when I reached middle age and got easier work to do, I drank coffee all day long, till bedtime, and have had no problems going to sleep. As someone else said, I can fall asleep in a chair, halfway through a cup of it.
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 993 Senior Member
    When I started drinking coffee plain, black, I found most coffee makers made weak coffee so we started with grinding our own beans with an electric percolator pot. Since then I've upgraded to a Miele coffee maker that grinds and makes each individual cup. I use 8 O'clock Central Highlands beans and I've adjusted the grind, amount of coffee per cup and volume of water to my taste and it makes great coffee! Each individual cup takes about 30 seconds to make. I still use the electric perc with Black Silk coffee, at my place in upstate NY.
    “If gun control laws actually worked, Chicago would be Mayberry!"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,989 Senior Member
    wizard78 wrote: »
    When I started drinking coffee plain, black, I found most coffee makers made weak coffee so we started with grinding our own beans with an electric percolator pot.

The strength of the brew is the key. Even using Folgers Classic, if I make it strong and tone down the resulting bitterness with a little cream, it's pretty good coffee. Strong, black coffee that is not bitter is 'elusive,' and depends mostly on freshness, so it is hard to find any brand that is consistently good. I finally just gave up on all of that, and started using something that is consistent that I could adapt to my personal tastes. To be honest, the first cup or two of the day can be almost anything, just to get some caffeine into my system. After that, I want something smooth that doesn't taste weak, so strong Folgers, with cream does it for me, if I'm at home.

I appreciate a perfect cup of coffee - I just don't waste a lot of time and money trying to achieve it.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,419 Senior Member
    That’s the one I use too. San Francisco Bay broke the Keurig patent and came up with a paper cartridge that sells for cheaper than everyone else because they don’t pay a licensing fee. Their French Roast is excellent!!! I also buy it at Costco in huge boxes.
    81ZikG2gnzL._SL1500_.jpg

That is the exact same coffee I drink!
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 690 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »

I have those for my Keurig but every time I tried to use them the coffee grounds exploded out the top. Works fine with the K-cups though.

Edit: I think I see why mine doesn't work. I don't have the cap shown in your picture.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    That San Francisco stuff is 35 cents a pod on Amazon (there isn't a Costco nearby). I am going to pick up a variety pack and check it out.
    So I finally got those today.... I have tried 3 of 4 so far...

French roast? Good but doesn't knock my socks off.
    Organic? Same as above.
    Fog Chaser-- I really like that one.

I still need to try the Breakfast Blend though.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,236 Senior Member
    So I finally got those today.... I have tried 3 of 4 so far...

French roast? Good but doesn't knock my socks off.
    Organic? Same as above.
    Fog Chaser-- I really like that one.

I still need to try the Breakfast Blend though.
    Hummm, going to have to order some of their Fog Chaser! Thanks for being the test subject :tooth:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    You like the lighter roasted stuff. The Fog Chaser is a very smooth darker roast-- if you ever had Folgers Black Silk, think that but smoother. I just finished trying the Breakfast Blend... that makes all 4. That one is a good, smooth, well rounded coffee.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,236 Senior Member
    You like the lighter roasted stuff. The Fog Chaser is a very smooth darker roast-- if you ever had Folgers Black Silk, think that but smoother. I just finished trying the Breakfast Blend... that makes all 4. That one is a good, smooth, well rounded coffee.
    I used to only love dark roasted coffees, actually I still do. But as of lately I've been discovering more and more lighter roast coffees that I like. Many of the medium roast whole beans from Latin America that you can get at World Market or Whole Foods are very good. You can't really make a decent cup of espresso out of them but you can make a nice strong cup of coffee in a French pres with very little bitterness in the taste.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,391 Senior Member
    Usually with water :jester:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,251 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Usually with water :jester:

and a little whiskey on the weekends?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    and a little whiskey on the weekends?

I quit all alcohol over 4 years ago, but have been known to get distracted getting the coffee maker ready , hit the button and fergitted the water or the coffee.........then I had brewed water or just air in the pot :rotflmao::rotflmao:

Worse yet is when the filters collapse and you get grinds all in the coffee and the machine.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Chunky style!

NRA Endowment Member
    I've had "Tankers Coffee" before where we walked by a big pot and scooped up a canteen cup full of coffee where they just threw coffee grinds in boiling water turned off the burner and supposedly most all of the grinds all sink to the bottom.......better than nuthin at the time, fer sure.
  • RadiowaveRadiowave Posts: 8 New Member
    Aeropress for single cups, 25 plus year old Mr Coffee maker for multiple. I'll hunt down parts to the end of the earth to fix it when it breaks
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,251 Senior Member
    Radiowave said:
    Aeropress for single cups, 25 plus year old Mr Coffee maker for multiple. I'll hunt down parts to the end of the earth to fix it when it breaks
    Radiowave- why are you copying other people's posts?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
13»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file