Ok, one last AR build with a question?

2»

Replies

  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    They aren't there. I was planning a 6x45 build based on the AR Stoner Barrels sold by Midway. So I agree with CPJ that it sucks they discontinued them. I've watched Gunbroker and Ebay for 6x45 barrels. They don't come up. Unless one wants to buy a complete rifle for amounts of money I'm not willing to pay. The only option now for a 6x45 AR is to buy expensive custom barrels.

    I don't know what you and cpj are calling too expensive because I don't really live in the AR world yet, but I'm learning. I have built and still do sporting rifles and the cost of most barrels is probably higher than what you guys can get a good AR barrel for. I used to could get a good chrome moly barrel for right at $100.00. But no more. 4 or 5 years back I paid $200 for a Chrome Moly Shilen for my 9.3x62 build. But if you haven't checked out Shilen, give em a call. You might get surprised.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 2,850 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I don't know what you and cpj are calling too expensive because I don't really live in the AR world yet, but I'm learning. I have built and still do sporting rifles and the cost of most barrels is probably higher than what you guys can get a good AR barrel for. I used to could get a good chrome moly barrel for right at $100.00. But no more. 4 or 5 years back I paid $200 for a Chrome Moly Shilen for my 9.3x62 build. But if you haven't checked out Shilen, give em a call. You might get surprised.

    By expensive, I mean $400+ for an AR barrel. Base price on Shilen's website for an AR barrel is $480. And they don't offer the 6x45 chamber in those barrels.

    ETA - Sorry, they do have one AR barrel (223 Wylde Service Rifle) for $397.

    You can buy 223 chambered AR barrels starting just over $100 from Midway all day...
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,022 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    By expensive, I mean $400+ for an AR barrel. Base price on Shilen's website for an AR barrel is $480. And they don't offer the 6x45 chamber in those barrels.

    ETA - Sorry, they do have one AR barrel (223 Wylde Service Rifle) for $397.

    You can buy 223 chambered AR barrels starting just over $100 from Midway all day...

    This place has some for $300 but will have to wait 6-12 weeks.....https://ritchsprecisionguns.com/product-category/ar-15/6x45/
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Yes, this.
    If you're a communist!

    I don't think they'll ship to commies. They are pretty popular right now, I get ads every day for uppers under 250.00. Maybe I'm on a communist list
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,099 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I don't think they'll ship to commies. They are pretty popular right now, I get ads every day for uppers under 250.00. Maybe I'm on a communist list

    Popular, or is the sale price an effort to move them because they aren't selling?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,099 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    I don't know what you and cpj are calling too expensive because I don't really live in the AR world yet, but I'm learning. I have built and still do sporting rifles and the cost of most barrels is probably higher than what you guys can get a good AR barrel for. I used to could get a good chrome moly barrel for right at $100.00. But no more. 4 or 5 years back I paid $200 for a Chrome Moly Shilen for my 9.3x62 build. But if you haven't checked out Shilen, give em a call. You might get surprised.
    Used to be able to get the barrel for $175-$200. Now they are over $400
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,688 Senior Member
    SIGgal wrote: »
    Lol Zorba..... ok, maybe the last one? I have 4 already. I want to move on to other things like a new hunting rifle maybe or a pistol or two. That and save for a few special days, a fancy white dress and other girl things. I'm sure I will get someone like my dad wanting to build more AR's, but I'm thinking of taking a break after this one. I still want a Tomi gun in my safe with a M1 Garand.

    M1 Garand is on my short list too. As for dresses, Ned will be delighted to learn that my dress ownership will soon be bumped up to three! Another dance costume, of course, a "Saudi Dress".
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    SIGgal wrote:
    I already have AR's in .223/5.56, so I am looking for ideas for a new build. So, the .224 isn't worth it for my shooting ability/range size and the .300 isn't worth it without a silencer thing, and cost of ammo. Maybe 6.5 creedmoor? That I know is an AR10 lower.

    I vote for the .458 SOCOM. It's a relatively short range deal with lots of other applications if you decide to take it off the range. Kinda expensive but it's different and a good conversation starter.

    https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=695&CFID=29294613&CFTOKEN=a045c302d7d79aab-DF589DE8-9CD7-14DE-DE7F915D020F1FC7&jsessionid=26AC2247B6A93ADD3F4E6D75FA6BCA24.cfusion
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • SIGgalSIGgal Senior Member Posts: 1,660 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    M1 Garand is on my short list too. As for dresses, Ned will be delighted to learn that my dress ownership will soon be bumped up to three! Another dance costume, of course, a "Saudi Dress".

    Pic's or the dress never happened Zorba lol. I want to get an M1 from CMP if I can find a good one, they are very hard to find them around here.
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    My Garands are a hoot to shoot, I just can't afford to feed them all the time.

    Back in the 80s you could still get DCM cases of M1 ammo. At one time I had 3000 rounds stored up. But now that's $300-$400 and even that's getting scarce.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,688 Senior Member
    SIGgal wrote: »
    Pic's or the dress never happened Zorba lol. I want to get an M1 from CMP if I can find a good one, they are very hard to find them around here.

    Yea, pix when the dress actually shows up here. Every time I have a dress made, its saga usually makes "War & Peace" look like a JW pamphlet. Skirts are *so* much easier to deal with, but dresses are necessary for certain folkloric dances. This one is pretty simple, I made the basic dress myself, but a dance sister/teacher in California offered to put some vintage trim on it for me. I wasn't in a huge hurry for it because it was originally for a troupe there (and I moved away) - BUT it turns out that my teacher here is hot to do the same type of dance, which means the same kind of costume, so I called "Dunia" in California to get things moving again. Its a very baggy looking affair (which is why it was simple enough for me to make one) from Saudi Arabia.

    It seems the only real place to get an M1 is indeed from the CMP, and everybody here has told me to do just that so I will unless one falls into my lap in the meantime. At this moment in time, the Garand is #1 on my list of collectible, historical firearms to acquire this year - even though I'm more of a pistol kind of guy. Thinking about an FP-45 Liberator - or more likely one of the excellent replicas from Vintage Ordinance - as well. If I get one of the replicas, I'll see if any of the recoil junkies at a future SE shoot are up for firing it.

    Hey! Are you coming to the SE shoot this year? I'm hoping someone brings an M1, I'd love to try it out. Probably won't hit anything with it, but so it goes!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • SIGgalSIGgal Senior Member Posts: 1,660 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Yea, pix when the dress actually shows up here. Every time I have a dress made, its saga usually makes "War & Peace" look like a JW pamphlet. Skirts are *so* much easier to deal with, but dresses are necessary for certain folkloric dances. This one is pretty simple, I made the basic dress myself, but a dance sister/teacher in California offered to put some vintage trim on it for me. I wasn't in a huge hurry for it because it was originally for a troupe there (and I moved away) - BUT it turns out that my teacher here is hot to do the same type of dance, which means the same kind of costume, so I called "Dunia" in California to get things moving again. Its a very baggy looking affair (which is why it was simple enough for me to make one) from Saudi Arabia.

    It seems the only real place to get an M1 is indeed from the CMP, and everybody here has told me to do just that so I will unless one falls into my lap in the meantime. At this moment in time, the Garand is #1 on my list of collectible, historical firearms to acquire this year - even though I'm more of a pistol kind of guy. Thinking about an FP-45 Liberator - or more likely one of the excellent replicas from Vintage Ordinance - as well. If I get one of the replicas, I'll see if any of the recoil junkies at a future SE shoot are up for firing it.

    Hey! Are you coming to the SE shoot this year? I'm hoping someone brings an M1, I'd love to try it out. Probably won't hit anything with it, but so it goes!

    The CMP has limited numbers of M1's right now...rack grade is even sold out. They have some field grade available which is fine for $750, I forget what the next grade up is, but they had some of those for a bit more money, and sniper M1 rifles for about $3000 and up.

    I am planning to come to the shoot. My Aunt Donna lives in Hendersonville, so will probably make it a dual purpose trip. Will be with Jason and my parents most likely.
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,688 Senior Member
    SIGgal wrote: »
    The CMP has limited numbers of M1's right now...rack grade is even sold out. They have some field grade available which is fine for $750, I forget what the next grade up is, but they had some of those for a bit more money, and sniper M1 rifles for about $3000 and up.

    I am planning to come to the shoot. My Aunt Donna lives in Hendersonville, so will probably make it a dual purpose trip. Will be with Jason and my parents most likely.

    Cool beans! Maybe we can coordinate outfits, makeup or something just for CPJ and Ned's benefit! :tooth:

    My gun fund won't be topped up until September, so an M1 will have to wait until then. I love the history of these fine weapons, which is why my collection centers around WW II.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • SIGgalSIGgal Senior Member Posts: 1,660 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Cool beans! Maybe we can coordinate outfits, makeup or something just for CPJ and Ned's benefit! :tooth:

    My gun fund won't be topped up until September, so an M1 will have to wait until then. I love the history of these fine weapons, which is why my collection centers around WW II.

    I would love to coordinate outfits and makeup for the guys lol. Chris will love it!
    "Marriage is a hunting permit that allows you only one dear at a time"
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Be patient, they just received 99,000 M1s. I think 13,000 from Turkey and the rest from Korea. Thank you President Trump. Best way to get one is from one of the stores.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 2,850 Senior Member
    Michakav wrote: »
    This place has some for $300 but will have to wait 6-12 weeks.....https://ritchsprecisionguns.com/product-category/ar-15/6x45/

    Thanks for the link. Had not seen that one. But, $300 is base price for a standard profile, unfinished or machine finished barrel. Add in a little more barrel profile and finish and we start approaching the $400 mark again. But, that is one of the better base prices I’ve seen. I do like the fact you can get them with 1/2x28 threads. Better to pick from one of the hundreds of 223 muzzle brakes and have it bored for the 6mm bullet. Lots more options that way. Still, $300 is a bit more than I’d like to spend on a barrel. I can do a heavy stainless barrel in 223 for half that price.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,688 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Be patient, they just received 99,000 M1s. I think 13,000 from Turkey and the rest from Korea. Thank you President Trump. Best way to get one is from one of the stores.
    Now ya got me thunkin' about re-arranging my finances, and stopping by the southern store on my way to Jerry's. Its more-or-less on the way there, and I can shoot my new M1 at the shoot! :conehead:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,979 Senior Member
    Better brush up on your dance skills before you stop at Anniston- - - -buying a milsurp from them involves MONTHS of jumping through hoops. I've just about given up on the idea, and I've got veteran status AND a C&R license. Is that arrogant REMF donkeyhole named Orest still running the place?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,688 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Better brush up on your dance skills before you stop at Anniston- - - -buying a milsurp from them involves MONTHS of jumping through hoops. I've just about given up on the idea, and I've got veteran status AND a C&R license. Is that arrogant REMF donkeyhole named Orest still running the place?
    Jerry

    I've got all the documentation per the CMP website - so what's their problem then? Just the usual REMF shullbit? Sounds like I'm gonna need to call them before I start making too many plans...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,344 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    204 Ruger. Its different, extremely accurate, extremely fast, minimal recoil, uses standard bolt face etc, the ammo looks 'cute' cos its so small, whats not to like............?

    Edited to add: Your dad can reload for it and will invent new cuss words when trying to load projectiles if he has fat fingers :tooth:
    Yep
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,341 Senior Member
    224 uses the same lower but different magazines, you'll need to buy 6.8 SPC magazines. Also I think you'll need a specific upper, the 224 has a bigger rim. The 22 Nosler, has a near identical case, but a rebated rim. So it needs the 6.8 mags but everything else is the same

    300 BO will use all the same equipment you've already got. But...if it is not interesting without a can....

    6x45 is a handloads only proposition

    25x45 Sharps, has factory ammo. A 25 caliber in the 223 case. Same BCG, mags, lower, etc, just new barrel. Same as the 204, just a new barrel.

    Why not go bigger hole? 450 BM, 458 SOCOM, 375 SOCOM
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,341 Senior Member
    Another option, 6.8 SPC
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,878 Senior Member
    .300 BO is basically almost a semi-auto (similar ballistics, slightly less bullet weight) .30-30 IMO. Totally adequate for most hunting (hogs, deer) at 200 yds or less. Nothing wrong with that!!

    Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    I've got all the documentation per the CMP website - so what's their problem then? Just the usual REMF shullbit? Sounds like I'm gonna need to call them before I start making too many plans...

    The only thing you need is to be a CMP member or a member of an affilated range.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,688 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    The only thing you need is to be a CMP member or a member of an affilated range.

    Yep, that's what the web page sez, I'm gonna join up with the Garand Collector's Association - takes care of the membership req and sounds fun and informative too.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file