Digital driver’s license - your ID in your smartphone

Comments

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,243 Senior Member
    So cell phones have cut down on an employment opportunity for someone and are leading to lost revenues for the telecoms? They are bad for the economy.
    Yep, with the added benefit of having crap for voice quality, horrendous ergonomics, and most have earpiece cut offs so it is only one way transmission.
    I get that cell phones are great tools. I used mine yesterday at work to check the wind forecast and see where I could work, pull up radar to see which way the rain was coming, estimate traffic conditions, I've used it to document interesting occurrences, and I've even used it to call folks so we can coordinate. I still maintain that for a lot of people, the cell phone's necessity is more invented than it is actual.
    :agree:
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,039 Senior Member
    I saw a sheriff's car doing that. Again... the operator was at fault.
    Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Here in Florida it's illegal to text and drive and yet most people do it anyway. Our LEO's around here all have a laptop on a bracket next to them which they manipulate while they're driving and that doesn't see real safe either.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,465 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Here in Florida it's illegal to text and drive and yet most people do it anyway. Our LEO's around here all have a laptop on a bracket next to them which they manipulate while they're driving and that doesn't see real safe either.

One of our State Troopers almost killed 2 people and left them with permanent injuries a few years ago doing this, kept his job, because, you know, he is "trained".
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,789 Senior Member
    So cell phones have cut down on an employment opportunity for someone and are leading to lost revenues for the telecoms? They are bad for the economy.
    My wife would disagree. Without the tech, she would be that office person. My At&T land lines merely shifted to AT&T cellular. They didn't lose out either.
    I get that cell phones are great tools. I used mine yesterday at work to check the wind forecast and see where I could work, pull up radar to see which way the rain was coming, estimate traffic conditions, I've used it to document interesting occurrences, and I've even used it to call folks so we can coordinate. I still maintain that for a lot of people, the cell phone's necessity is more invented than it is actual.
    I do not disagree with that. I would say that in many situations, they are more of a convenience than a necessity.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    My wife would disagree. Without the tech, she would be that office person. My At&T land lines merely shifted to AT&T cellular. They didn't lose out either.

The office person is all that I got to eliminate also. We used to have a receptionist take the calls and page the service people or confer with the service manager who sat in the office to see who to send and the pager service was there, then we evolved to handheld radios instead of pagers and the service manager wasn't confined to the office any longer and the radio service was there, and then we went to phones with "push to talk", and then just phones. There has always been some communications service from pagers on up and the girl that sat in the office and answered the phone when she felt like it was the only one who lost a job.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,638 Senior Member
    I still maintain that for a lot of people, the cell phone's necessity is more invented than it is actual.

WORD.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    You guys are confusing convenience with necessity. Is it a necessity to have running water in your house, let alone hot running water? No. We went thousands of years without it and did fine. We would do just fine now. Heck, having a house isn't even a necessity. They are conveniences. Why aren't you guys chastising those self important people with those fancy and completely unnecessary flush toilets? Toilet paper is a convenience too. How about those arrogant bastards that dare to use it?
    You are confusing TELCO with services people voluntarily sign up for and information they freely publish about themselves. Fine print matters.

No confusion here, that's exactly what I'm worried about. Yea, Telcos have brain washed the masses that this intrusive technology is "essential". As much as I dislike Telcos and Cablecos, that's just good marketing. I have a Goddess given RIGHT to privacy - but yes, Wambli is correct - it ends "if you are bumping fuzzies in the picture window facing main street. ".

SO I DON'T DO THAT

I don't carry an expensive, GROSSLY overpriced data mining and tracking device in my pocket, I stay away from data mining sites like face***k, and I employ as many security measures as I can when I'm on the Internet. The Telcos and technology apologists want everyone to believe that they have no expectation/right of privacy so people will buy their expensive devices and pseudo-services. But you *DO* have an expectation of privacy IF YOU DON'T GIVE IT AWAY!

Witness the flap a few years ago about prospective employers wanting access to "your face***k account". Good luck with that - other than public records that I have no control over, I'm very hard to find under my legal name. Impossible? Of course not (not even close!), but it "minimizes my exposure" - black hats will find an easier target to hack.

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    You are projecting upon people something they use for convenience, as something essential. Then since you decided that it is now something that straw man finds essential, you burn him down under the false premise.
    You guys are confusing convenience with necessity. Is it a necessity to have running water in your house, let alone hot running water? No. We went thousands of years without it and did fine. We would do just fine now. Heck, having a house isn't even a necessity. They are conveniences. Why aren't you guys chastising those self important people with those fancy and completely unnecessary flush toilets? Toilet paper is a convenience too. How about those arrogant bastards that dare to use it?

Snort! Running water is cheap and more importantly, it isn't invading my privacy nor is it making me a "techno-slave" as Wambli would put it.

You are projecting upon people something they use for convenience, as something essential.

Clarify please. My point is that smart fones are *NOT* essential - nor particularly convenient either as they're a piss-poor jack of all trades and master of none.

Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Hey, Zorba just told me you are a self-absorbed techno slave and he just blasted his car horn at you and flipped you the bird :tooth:

If he was using while he was DRIVING? Damn straight, but I don't think he was saying that.

zorba wrote: »
    Snort! Running water is cheap and more importantly, it isn't invading my privacy nor is it making me a "techno-slave" as Wambli would put it.
    It makes you a slave to the water company-- the "man". If you have a well, you are just serving another master-- the electric company to run your well pump. You give up your privacy by granting them trespass rights to go on your property to service their equipment.

We are just a bunch of sheep and willingly let them do it!
    It makes you a slave to the water company-- the "man". If you have a well, you are just serving another master-- the electric company to run your well pump. You give up your privacy by granting them trespass rights to go on your property to service their equipment.

We are just a bunch of sheep and willingly let them do it!

At least its useful!! :roll2:

You give up your privacy by granting them trespass rights to go on your property to service their equipment. We are just a bunch of sheep and willingly let them do it!

Zorba even dresses like Little Bo Peep!:jester:
    Clarify please. My point is that smart fones are *NOT* essential - nor particularly convenient either as they're a piss-poor jack of all trades and master of none.
    I am one that uses a GPS to navigate, a camera for photos, a laptop for work, email and net surfing. I totally understand. I also use a real corkscrew to open wine, a real knife to make dinner, have a set of screwdrivers to turn fasteners, scissors to cut paper, and a genuine nail file.

Even with all of that, I find a smart phone and a Swiss Army Knife convenient but not essential. I could probably build a damn house with a multi-tool-- while it would suck and I have REAL tools that make the job so much easier, it doesn't render a multi-tool useless.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,372 Senior Member
    I am one that uses a GPS to navigate, a camera for photos, a laptop for work, email and net surfing. I totally understand. I also use a real corkscrew to open wine, a real knife to make dinner, have a set of screwdrivers to turn fasteners, scissors to cut paper, and a genuine nail file.

Even with all of that, I find a smart phone and a Swiss Army Knife convenient but not essential. I could probably build a damn house with a multi-tool-- while it would suck and I have REAL tools that make the job so much easier, it doesn't render a multi-tool useless.
    HA! Another self absorbed techno slave pouring all his hard earned money into the pockets of THE MAN!!! I bet you even vaccinated your kids too! :devil:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,036 Senior Member

While not 100% essential to me doing my job, it's 100% more efficient for me to have one to do my job. Need to email a picture? Done in seconds. Or I suppose I could take a digital picture with a camera, upload it to a laptop, find a wifi hotspot somewhere, then email it. Need a manual for something? Done. Or I could just buy a trailer the size of my van to carry paper manuals around with. And hope I have all of them. Need to check signals an alarm panel is sending, down to the second, in seconds? Done. Or, I could call the monitoring center every couple of minutes, then wait on hold to get my answer that a human is relaying to me.
    I believe I'll keep the phone.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,067 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    One of our State Troopers almost killed 2 people and left them with permanent injuries a few years ago doing this, kept his job, because, you know, he is "trained".

APD officer ran over a bicyclist while typing on his Toughbook in his cruiser about a year and a half ago.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Teach wrote: »
    My pet peeve is text messaging. If some self-centered donkeyhole is too impressed with himself to actually have a one-on one conversation over the phone, and expects to just fire off some unreadable gibberish at his/her convenience and expect me to answer it- - - - -he can take his texting and stuff it where the sun don't shine! Alexander Graham Bell improved on the system Samuel F.B. Morse invented, so people could actually have long distance conversations- - - - -isn't texting a giant leap backwards?
    Jerry
    Here are some examples of how this works... My skid steer croaked. It won't start so I can't get it on a trailer to take it to the repair shop. Knowing that my equipment guy is busy and it was totally not necessary to make him drop what he is doing right now to talk to me, I sent him a text message asking if he knew someone that could make a house call and fix my machine. 20 minutes later, he texts me back with a guy's name and phone number. I tap the phone number in the text and it dials the guy. I talk to him on the phone to explain what I got going on and he makes an appointment to meet at my house. After that conversation, I text him my address that when he clicks it leads directly to a Google map that can give him a map and directions.

Today I sent a group text to 6 guys of where and when to meet for work tomorrow. It saved me the unneeded time and effort to make 6 phone calls-- I had no real need to talk to them, I just wanted to pass along some information.

Another example: I get a text earlier today from CPJ stating what he ate last night and the effect it is having on him today. Do I really want Chris to call me, and interrupt whatever I was doing to tell me that? Hell no! But as a text message that I can check in my leisure, I found it mildly amusing. And still acknowledging that it was completely unnecessary and childish, it put a momentary smile on my face. How is that bad?
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,887 Senior Member
    I'm seeing a LOT of confusion here with using smart phones/tablets/computers for WORK RELATED USE and confusing them with NON WORK RELATED USE. There IS a difference here between the two, and the difference is IMPORTANT. For WORK RELATED USE they can be and ARE valuable tools that save time and make work flow more smoothly. But seeing masses of people stumbling around on the street and in the stores with their face glued to their smart phone screen is the flip side of that mess. A M-1 Abrams tank is a valuable asset on the battlefield, but sucks like a Hoover as a grocery getter or going to the mall. See the difference?
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

tennmike wrote: »
    I'm seeing a LOT of confusion here with using smart phones/tablets/computers for WORK RELATED USE and confusing them with NON WORK RELATED USE. There IS a difference here between the two, and the difference is IMPORTANT. For WORK RELATED USE they can be and ARE valuable tools that save time and make work flow more smoothly. But seeing masses of people stumbling around on the street and in the stores with their face glued to their smart phone screen is the flip side of that mess. A M-1 Abrams tank is a valuable asset on the battlefield, but sucks like a Hoover as a grocery getter or going to the mall. See the difference?
    Not really. If my wife is at the grocery store and I suddenly realize that we need eggs, with a quick glance at her phone, it just saved us another trip to the store that day. A text to my son telling him I will pick him up from school at such and such entrance at such and such time saves the effort from calling the school office, and giving them the message where they would run the note to his classroom and does not interfere with his class time because he can check my text message on break. I can text my sister a photo of the kids riding snowmobiles (like me and her did as kids) and it says a whole lot more than a phone call ever will. Like with work, I texted her the location of our deer camp and it was much more concise and accurate than my verbal directions ever would be. There are lots of personal ways to use that tool. It isn't limited to business.

And while I am working it is sometimes awkward for my wife to call me to ask when I will be home for dinner. While I love her very much and like to talk to her, texting back the number 6 after my meeting serves the purpose very well and allows me to keep working.
    Texting is great for super short messages as several here have illustrated. I'm fine with that, and use 'em myself (and don't need no stiiiiiinkin' smart fone to do it with either). But a long involved conversation? Send me an email!

EXACTLY! There's nothing like a nail file when you have a nick on your nails and are about to go onstage to dance with a veil!

Agreed, but I bet you wouldn't pay $500 for a multi-tool, then $80/mo to use it either.

cpj wrote: »
    While not 100% essential to me doing my job, it's 100% more efficient for me to have one to do my job. Need to email a picture? Done in seconds. Or I suppose I could take a digital picture with a camera, upload it to a laptop, find a wifi hotspot somewhere, then email it. Need a manual for something? Done. Or I could just buy a trailer the size of my van to carry paper manuals around with. And hope I have all of them. Need to check signals an alarm panel is sending, down to the second, in seconds? Done. Or, I could call the monitoring center every couple of minutes, then wait on hold to get my answer that a human is relaying to me.
    I believe I'll keep the phone.

For which I'd use either a laptop with a 4G card, or at the very least a tablet - the larger the better. Yea, you're still paying out the wazoo for the cell connection, but if you truly need that kind of connectivity, there are far better ways to do it than a tinsy fone with a crippled OS and a piss poor UI. As for pix, I can do that much with my flip fone.

As far as tablets go, the only one that I've seen that's worth a damn is the Microsoft Surface. You can use it as a straight tablet, but with an actual usable OS; and you can flip on a keyboard when you need one. I'd preload it with all the manuals I thought I'd need, then I wouldn't be hitting that 4G card nearly as much.

For which I'd use either a laptop with a 4G card, or at the very least a tablet - the larger the better. Yea, you're still paying out the wazoo for the cell connection, but if you truly need that kind of connectivity, there are far better ways to do it than a tinsy fone with a crippled OS and a piss poor UI. As for pix, I can do that much with my flip fone.

As far as tablets go, the only one that I've seen that's worth a damn is the Microsoft Surface. You can use it as a straight tablet, but with an actual usable OS; and you can flip on a keyboard when you need one. I'd preload it with all the manuals I thought I'd need, then I wouldn't be hitting that 4G card nearly as much.

Negative Ghost Rider (movie reference :tooth:). For the last two months I have been working exclusively out of my new 256Gb iPad Pro 10.5" with a removable Logi keyboard (connected via magnetic port and it's truly connected, not a wireless keyboard, and it's not a battery draining device) that weighs less a whole 2 lbs. I can now truly do ANY and ALL work I used to do on my crippled work supplied Windows laptop and having all my files in the iCloud means that I update one PowerPoint presentation or contract and I can now access the latest file from ALL my apple devices!!! Oh, and I don't have to worry about hard drive crashes and time consuming backups. I'm getting about 10 hours of battery life and even use the Apple Pencil to take notes on the PDF files that my lawyers send me (which I can also do on my iPhone now too)! When I don't need a keyboard I just rip it off and I have a normal ultralight iPad. Added bonus, TSA does not make you take your iPad out of your bag when going through security. I'd rather DIE than ever go back to a laptop!

I just left my new corp HQ where I was working for a week. Not only did I NOT need a laptop at ALL but about 3 of my peers ran out to buy the same setup I have :cool2:

Oh, this morning I decided to go out to our supermarket EARLY so I could give my wife her favorite breakfast in bed for Valentines Day. After I shopped and as I approached the self-checkout at the supermarket I discovered that in my half asleep stupor I'd left my wallet at home. Momentary panic... and then I remembered my supermarket takes ApplePay!!! A quick double tap on my thumbprint reader on my iPhone and PING! Paid and running out the door...

I LOVE my self-absorbed pseudo-important techno world. And as far as I'm concerned, all these capabilities are now necessary for ME!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Other than a tiny screen, you're wrong. an app is an app is an app. For example my link to the monitoring station. I touch a button, I get my results. Doing it on a laptop, or real computer SUCKS. If you don't have X version of whatever browser works "best" it sucks ****. No app for Windows, it's browser based.
    You also have to consider, 99% of people are NOT using a phone/tablet for anything other than easy tasks. They aren't operating the space shuttle, writing code, etc.
    I've got a work "tablet." Panasonic tough book. Nice piece of equipment. It however is NOT a tablet. It's a laptop without a keyboard. Sure it's touch screen, and it BLOWS in comparison to an iPad as far a functioning as a tablet. Like I said, it's a laptop minus the keyboard. Of course I have a wireless keyboard to connect to it. I'd shoot someone if I had to use the touch screen exclusively. It's handy for entering text when I'm not close to the keyboard, but that's it.
    Zee
    Ok. You are wrong.

Having been at a TELCO for 30 years and taken the training yearly, I can tell you this, if a agency wants ANYTHING having to do with a customer, they better have a warrant. I have helped put in taps, and worked with LEOS from local to DEA, and they dont get anything w/o a warrant.

You are confusing TELCO with services people voluntarily sign up for and information they freely publish about themselves. Fine print matters.

Wamblis example of privacy is exactly correct. You have no expectation of privacy if you are bumping fuzzies in the picture window facing main street.

ABSOLUTELY TRUE!!! Before I "retired" her my wife was internal tel/ops at the Telco we both worked at. She did a lot of work with LE agencies at a Federal level and she can attest that even just tracking a cell phone while investigating a kidnapping takes just short of an act of congress to get accomplished. Folks need to stop believing the BS they watch on TV... Of course I can track her devices and she can track mine all day long because we allow each other to do so.
    Good point Jerm, it would be odd for me to call you and describe my gastrointestinal exploits. However, I see a future phone call.
    Now. About texting your sister some pictures.....
    Zee
    Texting is great for super short messages as several here have illustrated. I'm fine with that, and use 'em myself (and don't need no stiiiiiinkin' smart fone to do it with either). But a long involved conversation? Send me an email!
    I dictate most of my emails and texts on my phone. Voice recognition rocks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file