Advice please on Hog Hunter Savage 11 optic, if any.

Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior MemberPosts: 693 Senior Member
My brother lives in Nashville and has been wanting to try some pig hunting for some time. He is going soon I guess and he only has a few guns and none really for that task. I bought him a Savage 11 Hog Hunter in .308 through Bud's and he picked it up last week. He seems to like it and I like that he can use it right out of the box with the iron sights...We don't have hog hunting here so what optic, if any, should I get him? I also haven't mounted an optic on a bolt gun with iron sights, i know there are look through mounts but should I go for those? Something low power illuminated reticle like on an AR? Or a more traditional 3-9, 4-12, etc? Any advice is appreciated, as far as I know its mostly hunting in brush there but there if that helps.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/110HogHunter

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,606 Senior Member
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/812958/leupold-vx-1-shotgun-scope-1-4x-20mm-turkey-plex-reticle-matte
    Hard to beat this scope for close range (and a LOT longer range than most folks know) on a hunting gun. 
    See through scope mounts? You still wearing bell bottoms and listening to ABBA?  A 1-4 make sights irellevant. If you need them because you dropped the scope on its head, carry the Allen wrench that fits the mounts in your pocket. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,243 Senior Member
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 693 Senior Member
    Thanks guys, I am ordering that Leupold "pig plex"  :D from Midway right now. Now, should I go Talley two piece direct mount rings or should I have him put a mounting rail and then rings?
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,979 Senior Member
    The one bullsi references above is very close to what I have, and it's good. The new one is offered with a normal reticle (Duplex) which would be better for ranges beyond about 60 yards. The Pig-Plex is thicker and obscures the bulls eye at longer ranges - maybe not a big problem for pig hunting, but a .308 is a great hunting round for everything and very capable at ranges well beyond 100 yards.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,327 Senior Member
    I’d go with a base and rings for easier removal of the scope with Warne or Leupold QD rings. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,979 Senior Member
    You will be fine for hog hunting. I agree with Zee on the QD rings, if you decide to mix and match scopes. I have one set, and I have confirmed that the scope can be removed and re-installed without losing 'hunting accuracy.' Mine changed the three shot group center about a 1/4", and that won't ruin a shot at the closer ranges that most folks hunt at.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,647 Senior Member
    Leupold 2.5-8x36mm on Leupold QRW mounts & rings.

The 1-4 and 1.5-5 scopes are sweet, but you have enough distance potential there that the extra 3-4x on the top end is nice.  The bottom end is low enough for close encounters if need be.

Works good on my Ruger Scout:

And on my Old Man's Model Seven:

Pretty much my default scope for short actions in chamberings that have some reach.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,418 Senior Member
    No see-thru mounts. If you want him to be able to use the opens in a pinch,  quick detach mounts are the way to go. 
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,327 Senior Member
    I am about to shuffle some scopes around on some rifles. One of which will involve removing the 4x Scout scope from my Ruger’s scout Rifle and mount my 1-6x Mewlite Optic. And afford the usage of NV with that rifle. 

1-6x is a happy compromise for me. I like the both eyes open afforded by the 1x and the magnification of 6x can get you there in many hunting situations. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,998 Senior Member
    edited March 12 #12
    My brother lives in Nashville and has been wanting to try some pig hunting for some time. He is going soon I guess and he only has a few guns and none really for that task. I bought him a Savage 11 Hog Hunter in .308 through Bud's and he picked it up last week. He seems to like it and I like that he can use it right out of the box with the iron sights...We don't have hog hunting here so what optic, if any, should I get him? I also haven't mounted an optic on a bolt gun with iron sights, i know there are look through mounts but should I go for those? Something low power illuminated reticle like on an AR? Or a more traditional 3-9, 4-12, etc? Any advice is appreciat308 ed, as far as I know its mostly hunting in brush there but there if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
    A .308 Winchester is a fine round. But ya don't really need one for pigs, I mean you don't have to have it to kill a pig although it will do it in fine form. My .250 Savage is a hog killing machine. So is my exes .243. Both have killed several hogs grave yard dead with one shot. My ex killed her first one with an 85 grain Sierra. Lots of hogs are killed every day with a ,223.Of course the lion's share of my hogs have been killed with my .270 and 06. But that doesn't mean they're the only thing going on. And my 8x57 has killed a couple with a 150 grain bullet which is on the light side for that cartridge.

What cartridges does that rifle come in? That's kinda what I'm getting at, a hog rifle shouldn't be limited to just .308.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 693 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    My brother lives in Nashville and has been wanting to try some pig hunting for some time. He is going soon I guess and he only has a few guns and none really for that task. I bought him a Savage 11 Hog Hunter in .308 through Bud's and he picked it up last week. He seems to like it and I like that he can use it right out of the box with the iron sights...We don't have hog hunting here so what optic, if any, should I get him? I also haven't mounted an optic on a bolt gun with iron sights, i know there are look through mounts but should I go for those? Something low power illuminated reticle like on an AR? Or a more traditional 3-9, 4-12, etc? Any advice is appreciat308 ed, as far as I know its mostly hunting in brush there but there if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
    A .308 Winchester is a fine round. But ya don't really need one for pigs, I mean you don't have to have it to kill a pig although it will do it in fine form. My .250 Savage is a hog killing machine. So is my exes .243. Both have killed several hogs grave yard dead with one shot. My ex killed her first one with an 85 grain Sierra. Lots of hogs are killed every day with a ,223.Of course the lion's share of my hogs have been killed with my .270 and 06. But that doesn't mean they're the only thing going on. And my 8x57 has killed a couple with a 150 grain bullet which is on the light side for that cartridge.

What cartridges does that rifle come in? That's kinda what I'm getting at, a hog rifle shouldn't be limited to just .308.
    It comes in .223, .308, and .338 Federal. I picked the all-rounder. If he wants to hunt deer with it he can too and .338 Federal is expensive and harder to find than the ubiquitous .308. The reason I bought that version is because I like that it has the shorter barrel kind of a bolt brush gun, and I like that it has iron sights so even if he can't sight the optic properly he can use it out of the box on his first hunt.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,998 Senior Member
    snake284 said:

Thanks in advance.

It comes in .223, .308, and .338 Federal. I picked the all-rounder. If he wants to hunt deer with it he can too and .338 Federal is expensive and harder to find than the ubiquitous .308. The reason I bought that version is because I like that it has the shorter barrel kind of a bolt brush gun, and I like that it has iron sights so even if he can't sight the optic properly he can use it out of the box on his first hunt.
    Hey, that's what counts, and I'm glad they make it in more than one chambering. Any one of those three will make a fine hog killer.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file