Hard to believe deer shot.

2»

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,829 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Go shovel snow.
    That's cold
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,866 Senior Member
    Not going to give the video away but be sure to watch til the very end.

I guess it's possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P3uwl5HzzQ

I guess. Now why somebody like Keith Warren could miss that shot.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj wrote: »
    Saw that a couple months ago. No, it's NOT possible. He hit the deer in the head. He can say whatever he wants. It didn't happen the way he said it did. I'd wager it exploded the head like a grape, and they didn't want to show it. They could have made up a better story, or not shown it at all.

I wonder if it was FMJ. If so it might have gone straight through. I don't know whether they really don't know or whether they're making it up. But I don't think that deer was a miss. It knocked that deer on its ass and the blast or the vacuum or the shock wave, whatever, did not knock that deer over like that. That's a Crock. Come on Keith Warren, you're a better man than that!
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I am thinking he hit it through the eye. This guy shot a 50bmg through a house of cards and it didn't even move them. I doubt it is going to suck the eyes out of a deer.

Hey Jerm that's a damn good video you put up there and I think I pretty well trust the guy narrating it. It was funny the kid thought the AR-15 got the 15 from the year it was brought out, LOL!

Anyway, I'm appalled that a guy like Keith Warren would come up with something like that. The only difference in that .50 Cal. Cartridge and a ..30-06 is the diameter or rather outside dimensions and weight of the bullet. The velocity is slower than a .30-06 150 grain or a .223 for that matter. If the bullet could go 5000-6000 FPS maybe it would pull enough vacuum to upset that house of cards, but not kill a deer by a close pass. It's only Going 2700 FPS out the muzzle.

Maybe their thinking is comparing something like the turbulence of a car to an 18 wheeler. But an 18 wheeler with a trailer sticking up 6 feet above the cab is about as aerodynamic as a pile of bricks. Of course it's going to move a lot of air in crazy directions. If a bullet disrupted air like that you couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside.

The power of the fifty round you might say is sucked up by pushing the 750 Grain Bullet at 2700 FPS and not from pushing a ton of air all over the place. And at that velocity it doesn't make anymore shock wave than anything else.

I've been watching the Warren Brothers, Keith and Allen, for 30 years and had some respect for them, but Keith just let me down with that BS. This would be similar to Orlando Wilson saying he caught a 40 pound bass on a safety pin and a grub worm. Hell I think I'd come closer to believing that than the 50 BMG killing a deer by a near miss.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,364 Senior Member
    I’ve got one more deer to get this season. But, I’m gonna get it with my new .500 S&W barrel.
    No argument from down here with that.

I’ll cut the head off a freeze it maybe. Then, thaw and shoot it with the .50 BMG when I get around to it.

Leave the neck attached and freeze it with a stick jammed up its windpipe.......You dont eat the windpipe do you?

A lit lit of work, though. May just wait and shoot one with it next year.

You mention in another post about the problems shooting animals and the back drop issues......

Defrost the head with a stick up its windpipe and take it to the nearest rifle range with a backstop that will allow you to shoot a '50'. Tell the range officer 'Its for science' if he has any questions. You can add that cpj told me to do it if you need another excuse.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,107 Senior Member
    So, you want me to miss it first and then hit it, right?

Yes.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Biggest concern is the backdrop. A flat field will skip a .50cal bullet a fare ways. Even after going through a pig.

Find a berm. Duh. Can't find one? You know a guy with a tractor. Tractor won't start? Use your knuckles. They are good for things other than leaving a trail that makes you easy to follow.
    Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,076 Senior Member
    Find a berm. Duh. Can't find one? You know a guy with a tractor. Tractor won't start? Use your knuckles. They are good for things other than leaving a trail that makes you easy to follow.

I’m not worried about shooting a dead animal. Shooting a live one has to have a well chosen location.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    I’m not worried about shooting a dead animal. Shooting a live one has to have a well chosen location.

I don't care about a live one. I want science on a dead deer head.
    Zee
    I don't care about a live one. I want science on a dead deer head.

I was responding to Earleys suggestion to shoot pigs with the 50. Which typically happens in the dark. I wasn’t talking to you, knucklehead.
    I was responding to Earleys suggestion to shoot pigs with the 50. Which typically happens in the dark. I wasn’t talking to you, knucklehead.

Well, that's your first mistake.
    Anyway, I've seen a guy trap a pig and test the effectiveness of a hand gun round. Could be transported to a safe location with backstop. Do I need to elaborate further, or can you connect the dots?
    Zee
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Someone might see this and make a 50cal spitzer that fragments on impact.

Talk about an expensive specialty product.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    If you guys want to experiment, couldn't you just scale down? (about 4.8:1)

Instead of a 750 grain A-max .50 at 2820 (f/s) and a 100 lb deer couldn't you use a 155 grain A-max .308 win at 2850 (f/s) and a large rabbit or something. I'm sure Jack rabbits are plentiful.

If a .308 can't "suck" the eyes out of a Jack, what are the odds that a .50 will do it to a deer?

Anyway, just film the whole things and you'll have something to post on Youtube, if you want.

:spittingcoffee:

ETA: What about a .223 across the bow of a hamster?
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
    Ready for science!!!!

eRiqScJ.jpg
    WOW, took the head clean off :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    WOW, took the head clean off :rotflmao:

Well, it was a .50cal that killed her. Just not a BMG.

But, that is for another thread.
    Not only do I doubt the "blow-by" would suck the eyeballs out, I bet it wouldn't even pull a party hat off her head.

Or is the pic an "After" shot for the "near-miss"??

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,768 Senior Member
    Yes put a party hat on for the science project. Something has got to get sucked off, out. I'm saying the hat.
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Not only do I doubt the "blow-by" would suck the eyeballs out, I bet it wouldn't even pull a party hat off her head.

Or is the pic an "After" shot for the "near-miss"??

Killed her this evening with my .500 S&W Encore Handgun. Her head has been removed and ready to be blown up with a .50cal BMG!!!
    Killed her this evening with my .500 S&W Encore Handgun. Her head has been removed and ready to be blown up with a .50cal BMG!!!
    Cool beans :beer:

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,364 Senior Member

Excellent.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Hehehehehehehe
    Zee
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 13,820 Senior Member
    Nice. I like the party hat idea too. Or even better, a Savage ball cap.
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    Jermanator said:
    Nice. I like the party hat idea too. Or even better, a Savage ball cap.

+2

I like the hat idea also. I doubt the eye sucking Hogwash but like the party hat thing.

Headlines read: Floating deer head loses Hat!

So lets suck the eyes out already. And when that fails -- explode the head with the .50!!!!! >:)

"Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file