Oldest grand son's deer

bisleybisley Senior MemberPosts: 9,786 Senior Member
edited March 3 in Hunting #1
I never posted this because photobucket quit working, so I'll use it to test the new forum interface.

It's an 8 point, shot at 175 yards with the 7mm-08 I gave to his dad (Weatherby Vanguard Carbine). One shot kill, as he has been doing since he was 9 yo. He ran about 30 yards, after the shot, a double lunger.

Our small lease has been fouled up for a year, since the pipeline construction and timber company activity during last year's deer season. The deer were back, to some extent, this year, but there were plenty of acorns, so the does weren't stopping to eat corn from the feeders. Several good deer were seen, but they were always just traveling across and not allowing time to make a good shot. James and his dad were in my blind, for this one, and his dad made his version of a low grunt, while he tracked the shot with the rifle. The deer stopped, broadside, for just a second and he nailed him, a little higher than he aimed for, but still good enough to get both lungs. It was a good shot, probably even a little further than his dad's 175 yard estimate.

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,486 Senior Member
    Good picture of a nice deer!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,786 Senior Member
    Well, it seems that I actually did post this picture, before. Oh well, I needed to test the new interface, anyway.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,076 Senior Member
    Very nice!!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,829 Senior Member
    Congrats to the young man
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,107 Senior Member
    Most excellent!
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,782 Senior Member
    Nice deer great story
    I have a need for speed
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,477 Senior Member
    Nice deer
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,925 Senior Member
    Good shot, nice deer, and a story to go with it! Congratulations to your grandson!
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file