The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Replies

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,446 Senior Member
    What's the story behind that picture?!?!?!?
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,120 Senior Member
    edited March 5 #28353
    orchidman said:
    Ooooooops.............

Glad to see you made it

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 655 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:

They were fishing for mudskippers.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,005 Senior Member
    Skipper's fault.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,937 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:

They were fishing for mudskippers.

Good one
    I have a need for speed
    orchidman said:
    Ooooooops.............

That happened here this last week, we had record low wind tides and left a few boats high and dry-----of course the sail boats end up laying oh their side.
    I have a need for speed
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,180 Senior Member
    So sorta the reverse of the Tide laundry detergent commercial.......'Tides in, dirt's out'

Tides out, boat stuck in dirt (mud).........
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 367 Member
    I thought maybe it had to do with boats and hoes.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,938 Senior Member
    cpj said:

Had some stainless steel I reclaimed. Had an idea. Make the kids some rings. Thought I'd try one my size. Got it rough sized. Parted it off, didn't make it smooth before I tried it on. 
    This may be long day 
    I’d have thought you were smart enough not to get your finger caught in one of those again. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member

Assembly of .303 ball using pre-war technology;

(Stolen from another forum.)

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,405 Senior Member
    edited March 5 #28362
    RugerFan said:
    The channel to get into the the river mouth is only about 10 metres wide. The boat has a beam of 5 m. If you look closely at the pic you will see the port channel marker buoy which is supposed to mark the edge of the channel sitting high and dry. Because of the strong easterlies ( 25 to 35 knots) over the last 2 days coupled with the extremely high tides, the wave action carved a new channel ( out of shot behind the camera). Because this new channel reduced the flow out of the main channel, the resultant drop in water flow allowed silt to build up and moved the main channel 10+ metres sideways. 2 days is all it took to move hundreds and hundreds of tons of sand/mud.

Here is another pic taken from the boat looking out the port side.  You can see the new channel in the background.

On the opposite side of the boat the water was 2m deep at low tide ( when these pics were taken)

When we came back up the harbour the tide was covering the banks. and the wind had completely dropped so there was no indication of the sideways shift. We hit our gps marks for the centre of the channel which wasnt there any more and at 12knots we simply slid up the mud and stopped..............then had to wait 4hrs for the boat to be refloated after the tide went out and came back in.

Some of the punters grabbed buckets and brushes and they did a great job of scrubbing the hull while we waited........... :)

After inspecting the hull/props/shafts etc and ascertaining there was no damage, when she refloated we proceeded on.

There was a nice sunset though..........

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,557 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    Ooooooops.............

Gilligan!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,305 Senior Member
    Cool video, Shush! We've come a long way since then! Lots of women worked in the munitions factories. They had good eyes to find defects, as ALL men know! :smile:
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

One thing I do miss about California are the parking lots. Here in Florida, every candy ass business has their own driveway and their own parking lot - and 99% of the time, they're not connected to any other parking lots, so if you turn into the wrong one (signs all packed together, hard to tell sometimes), you're hosed. In California, even if the lots were built separately, they all connect together. *shrug* I don't get it...

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    edited March 5 #28366
    tennmike said:
    Cool video, Shush! We've come a long way since then! Lots of women worked in the munitions factories. They had good eyes to find defects, as ALL men know! :smile:

The multi strand Cordite loading and then final necking of the case, fascinating.

Some more fairer sex, doing the business.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

shush said:
    tennmike said:

And here.

shush said:
    tennmike said:

The multi strand Cordite loading and then final necking of the case, fascinating.

After 2.50 for you.

I want a truckload of those Stens. Think ya can swing the shipment? :smiley:
    The video if the .50 BMG links being made is interesting, too!

edited March 5 #28369
    tennmike said:
    shush said:
    tennmike said:

After 2.50 for you.

I want a truckload of those Stens. Think ya can swing the shipment? :smiley:

It's getting the skilled staff, that's the problem, but I will do my best. :)

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,748 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    RugerFan said:
    The channel to get into the the river mouth is only about 10 metres wide. The boat has a beam of 5 m. If you look closely at the pic you will see the port channel marker buoy which is supposed to mark the edge of the channel sitting high and dry. Because of the strong easterlies ( 25 to 35 knots) over the last 2 days coupled with the extremely high tides, the wave action carved a new channel ( out of shot behind the camera). Because this new channel reduced the flow out of the main channel, the resultant drop in water flow allowed silt to build up and moved the main channel 10+ metres sideways. 2 days is all it took to move hundreds and hundreds of tons of sand/mud.

Here is another pic taken from the boat looking out the port side.  You can see the new channel in the background.

On the opposite side of the boat the water was 2m deep at low tide ( when these pics were taken)

When we came back up the harbour the tide was covering the banks. and the wind had completely dropped so there was no indication of the sideways shift. We hit our gps marks for the centre of the channel which wasnt there any more and at 12knots we simply slid up the mud and stopped..............then had to wait 4hrs for the boat to be refloated after the tide went out and came back in.

Some of the punters grabbed buckets and brushes and they did a great job of scrubbing the hull while we waited........... :)

After inspecting the hull/props/shafts etc and ascertaining there was no damage, when she refloated we proceeded on.

Yep, we have an inlet here that is infamous for doing just that.  I was following my GPS to my favorite beach spot and beached myself in the process.  Thank God I know better now so I was doing just under 4 knots.  A quick reverse got me off the new sand bar but the new channel to the beach is still nowhere to be found...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,405 Senior Member
    orchidman said:
    RugerFan said:

Yep, we have an inlet here that is infamous for doing just that.  I was following my GPS to my favorite beach spot and beached myself in the process.  Thank God I know better now so I was doing just under 4 knots.  A quick reverse got me off the new sand bar but the new channel to the beach is still nowhere to be found...
    Its amazing how quick mother nature can change things. Unfortunately 18 tons has a fair bit of momentum.......1000hp couldnt budge it. Lol
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,748 Senior Member
    orchidman said: Its amazing how quick mother nature can change things. Unfortunately 18 tons has a fair bit of momentum.......1000hp couldnt budge it. Lol
    Yep, I'm only 4,500 lbs and 225hp gets me out of a jam night QUICK!!! 
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    orchidman said:
    orchidman said:
    The channel to get into the the river mouth is only about 10 metres wide. The boat has a beam of 5 m. If you look clos

Its amazing how quick mother nature can change things. Unfortunately 18 tons has a fair bit of momentum.......1000hp couldnt budge it. Lol
    The next to last captain of my ship put this:

on an oyster bar at the Mayport Naval Station. Trying to run that channel at night isn't recommended. Ruined both screws, bent both screw shafts, and tore the sonar dome rubber cover to shreds. He didn't get promoted to Admiral the next year. :smiley:
    350 feet long with 35 foot beam; I forget the draft.

I'm glad I didn't have 18 tons to stop tonite, the old MBZ can stop on a dime! It had to, some *nice person* thought cutting the corner on a 90 was a good idea. If I hadn't stopped instantly, I would have T-boned him/her...

Soooooooo............I liked your post #28395. See if ya got a notification. :wink:

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,890 Senior Member
    I guess it does, sorta. There are 3 likes on that post. Saw no notification on it. Guess you would have to go back to every post you did to see if someone liked it.
    I guess it does, sorta. There are 3 likes on that post. Saw no notification on it. Guess you would have to go back to every post you did to see if someone liked it.

Can't we say how wonderful we think somebody is and just not press a button. :'(

Thank you jbp-ohio, that got a chortle.

Does anyone know if you hit LIKE on someones post if they are notified?? I have hit like on several. I have never got a notification someone liked my post. Maybe it's me and nobody likes nuttin I say. :) :)

Don't know; but, you get a badge for the most liked
    I have a need for speed
    Does anyone know if you hit LIKE on someones post if they are notified?? I have hit like on several. I have never got a notification someone liked my post. Maybe it's me and nobody likes nuttin I say. :) :)

click you activity----you get a line of info at the top of the page -----click on you likes number and a box opens with a liked thread title----click on that and that thread opens
    I have a need for speed

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file