IWB Fixed Blade Knives for EDC

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,264 Senior Member
I've noticed that on a lot of SD oriented forums people seem to be carrying small fixed blade knives IWB as an EDC. Some of them seem to get pretty pricey as well.

What are y'all's thoughts on this as a "piece of kit?" I personally just carry a pocket knife, and I'm not sure I have enough real estate on my 31" waste for my AIWB G19 AND a blade. However, as an added option in NPEs where you get searched, but knives are allowed, it has my interest.

Some of this, of course, is predicated on getting some training on the SD applications of a knife.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Comments

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Other than a potential mechanical failure during crisis, what's the perceived advantage of fixed over folded???:uhm:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,633 Senior Member
    One of the handiest small fixed blade knives I have is the TOPS Short Stop...
    https://www.topsknives.com/ranger-short-stop

A good friend here on the board gifted me mine.....

If where you live has a problem with double edged knives you can carefully grind one edge flat....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,068 Senior Member
    I have been looking for a smallish fixed blade to carry off side, horizontal on the belt as a “GTFOM” knife. Problem I have is I want a decent handle on it to make sure I keep a good grip on it, and most of the knives that size have sliver handles that will either turn in the hand or slide under hard use.

Closest I can find are the KaBar TDI https://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/76
    and benchmade Azeria http://www.benchmade.com/tactical-knives/azeria.html

As to benefits of a fixed blade, in a close fight it does not need room to open, or any thing other than getting your hand on it, and starting the stabby, slashy time.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,799 Senior Member
    I'm not sure, but I think some states have a problem with a concealed, fixed blade knife.

It may be related to blade length though :uhm:

I've heard something about it it being verboten in some jurisdictions though
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,050 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Other than a potential mechanical failure during crisis, what's the perceived advantage of fixed over folded???:uhm:
    A fixed blade is always open. No worries about opening if you need to slice things.

I've got a small Buck fixed blade. Almost perfect, but the handle shape isn't quite right. I keep it in the open, and when
    I walk by I ponder how I could make a kydex sheath that has a pocket clip so that I could carry it in my pocket. Got a few ideas, just never did it. Horizontal carry on the belt would be handy too.

Edit
    This one. The sheath is functional and tough, but a bit portly.
    https://www.buckknives.com/product/maverik-knife/0877BKS-B/
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,068 Senior Member
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,068 Senior Member
    I have two of these, but they don’t match my style of usage.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    What happens if the person with the IWB fixed blade knife has a violent car accident???:uhm:
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,976 Senior Member
    That's about as stupid an idea as carrying a pistol SOB. Falling on a hunk of steel right over my spine is not my idea of a smart move. Is carrying a fixed-blade knife a more or less ignorant concept?
    :uhm:
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,392 Senior Member
    In NC concealing anything but a standard pocket knife is illegal.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,437 Senior Member
    In Iowa with a concealed permit I carry a boot knife all the time. It is lighter than a back up & good for close problems.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,465 Senior Member
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 670 Senior Member
    Something like a Schrade sharpfinger seems good for your intended purpose, decent handle on it too. I carry a Case stockman, dependent on what I'm doing (**** knife laws and "sufficient purpose"), but a sharp finger would be a first choice for me were I able, or a KAbar TDI
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,061 Senior Member
    I find that the more I use fixed blades, the less and less that I care for folders of any sort. I actually don't even carry a "pocket" knife anymore. My general use knife is a lime green and safety orange Esee Izula, worn horizontally, at the 1 o'clock position (handle facing my right side, for a traditional saber grip). My GTFOM knife is a Joe Watson HITS Tanto with a carburized titanium blade, worn horizontally, at about the 11 o'clock position (handle towards my belt buckle, for an ice-pick grip with my left hand, or a saber grip with my right hand...situation dependent). I carry a Victorinox Fruit Knife (scalpel sharp) in another location for...fruit reasons.

n3Atf4H.jpg

vne89oc.jpg
  • Squawk BoxSquawk Box New Member Posts: 44 Member
    I've noticed that on a lot of SD oriented forums people seem to be carrying small fixed blade knives IWB as an EDC. Some of them seem to get pretty pricey as well.

What are y'all's thoughts on this as a "piece of kit?" I personally just carry a pocket knife, and I'm not sure I have enough real estate on my 31" waste for my AIWB G19 AND a blade. However, as an added option in NPEs where you get searched, but knives are allowed, it has my interest.

Some of this, of course, is predicated on getting some training on the SD applications of a knife.

I am a cheapskate, so my knives are cheap ones. I have something called a RIPOFF. It is a 2" fixed blade, which I can clip to a backpack or the inside of my pocket. And I have some yard sale knives, like the Frost brand, which have lanyard holes. I run a light duty cord through the lanyard hole. Then I can slip the cord through a belt loop, and slip the knife through the cord. It is easy to do, and it holds the knife very well, until I need it.

Something like this is all I need, because I have lost a bunch of knives in my life, and if I lose a Frost it is no big deal.
  • flphotogflphotog New Member Posts: 2 New Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but I think some states have a problem with a concealed, fixed blade knife.

It may be related to blade length though :uhm:

I've heard something about it it being verboten in some jurisdictions though
    That's one nice thing about FL, the FL CCW covers knives and other weapons as well as handguns. The bad thing being that only handguns are preempted, with knives, in some jurisdictions you take your chances.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,225 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    In NC concealing anything but a standard pocket knife is illegal.

And we have Concealed Handgun Permits which does not include any other type of “weapon” like a knife, taser, etc. Yep, we can carry something that can send a projectile at 800 ... 900 ...or more feet per second but not a taser ... our laws are soooo smart.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,392 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    And we have Concealed Handgun Permits which does not include any other type of “weapon” like a knife, taser, etc. Yep, we can carry something that can send a projectile at 800 ... 900 ...or more feet per second but not a taser ... our laws are soooo smart.
    Yep, but it’s only illegal if you “attempt” to conceal them. You can just about anything, even an automatic knife, in your pocket as long as the clip is showing! It’s considered open carry and it’s fine! Yes brilliant laws...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,145 Senior Member
    Every day at work this is never out of reach.....
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,109 Senior Member
    Changes to TEXAS knife laws has made this more appealing.

I see more folks carrying a hunting type knife than open carrying a sidearm.

Knives seems to draw less attention? :uhm:

https://www.crkt.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/920x412/beff4985b56e3afdbeabfc89641a4582/h/t/httpimages.salsify.comimageuploads--bvhrubgf--c_padw_1840h_824fl_clip.png8afxnkuyjp9jfejgzxret.png

This has my interest.

I am considering a sword cane as well.

I think I would look quite dapper.
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,799 Senior Member
    Nothing new to add, just noticed no one has posted in here since they got the forum back up.
    So I got the first post in here:wink: :
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,152 Senior Member
    edited March 4 #23
    41magnut said:
    I am considering a sword cane as well.
    I think I would look quite dapper.

Undeniably.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,413 Senior Member
    Shush, what does your avatar mean?
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,152 Senior Member
    edited March 7 #25
    Gene L said:
    Shush, what does your avatar mean?

The "New" forum cropped it somewhat.

I may try and tidy it up sometime.

The left arrow points to my name, it was on top of the avatar on the old forum.

The other arrow points to the words I write, or the "tripe" that I spout (pontificate).

Tripe in this case meaning nonsense/rubbish and not the first or second stomach of a cow but........................

I think of it as a public health warning. :)

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file