Winchester 74

Gene LGene L Senior MemberPosts: 9,467 Senior Member
  1. No picts yet, camera is charging.  But Friday I took my old (1941) Winchester 74 semi-auto rifle out and shot it for the first time in several years.  It's been molested with scope drilling/tapping on the port side and the blue is turned to brown, but it's a shooter.  I think it's because of the longer sighting plane.  I only shot it at about 35 yards with open sights in the fading light of the day, but was able to cut one ragged hole about 2" wide shooting as fast as I could reasonably shoot from a rest.
  2. You don't want to see it anyway, it's ugly.  My brother bought one new in about 1955, I had a like-new one about 15 years ago, but alas let it walk on me.  The gun is pretty old, four years older than me.  But very accurate.
  3. How do I keep this damned site from numbering each paragraph?  It's annoying.

Not too many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Replies

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    edited March 6 #2
    Don’t write so many words, more photos.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,655 Senior Member
    I love old .22's!! They can be real shooters, I also found that a lot of the older ones don't like bulk or HV ammo, but with standard ammo they're tack drivers!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,467 Senior Member
    I used HV ammo and it shoots fine.  The ONLY difference between bulk ammo and boxed ammo is the size of the containers.  I've shot a lot of Rem Golden bullets and never had a problem.  Won't shoot Thunderbolts, never tried them.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,637 Senior Member
    Gene,

You ever have yours not stay cocked after a shot?  That seems to be the common issue with mine - usually 1-2 per magazine.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,467 Senior Member
    Nope.  Sounds like you''re not using HV ammo, or need to clean the innards.
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file