I never realized how conflicted I was against Browning!

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 1,218 Senior Member
I've grown up a Browning hater and this weekend I realized just how conflicted and wrong I was.  I've never liked their bolt action rifles probably because they never had a left handed version which basically made me not like Browning.  This weekend I was moving some of my guns from small ranch house gun safe over to the new ranch house gun safe.  I didn't take all of the guns, only my pride and joy guns and ones I always hunt with.  Basically left the kids rifles and shotguns in the small ranch house. 

As I took inventory I made a realization.  My two favorite and true pride and joys are my 1960 Belgium Browning 22 SA my pop got me the year I was born.  Next was my 1949 Sweet 16 Browning A5.  I grew up with a disdain for Browning only to realize I truly love them or at least these two guns

After that were my pops 1940 Win Model 94 .32 Win Special and 1953 AYA model 106 double barrel.  Nothing could ever get me to part with these four guns.  After that it was the every day ranch guns, though none of them had the same appeal as the other four.
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,120 Senior Member
    edited March 6 #2
    My dad has one of those Begians in 22S. He and a friend used to go to dumps on friday and Sat night with carbide lamps and shoot rats, it's STILL a sweet shooting rifle. IIRC, it was the first Christmas, and/or anniversary gift my mom bought for him after they got married in Jan of '62
    3+ years before I came along
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,946 Senior Member
    I love Browningings and have two at the moment. One, a Browning Citori 12 gauge field grade with 26 inch invector choke barrels, and a Browning Auto 5 Sweet 16 made in 1960. I wouldn't trade either unless you give me a bunch of money and then I would buy a bunch more.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,946 Senior Member
    I have two Brownings, a Citori 12 Gauge Field Grade with 26" Invector Choke Barrels, and I have a Belgium made Auto Five Sweet Sixteen made in 1960. I love both my Brownings.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 980 Senior Member
    I like that Browning is keeping the Winchester name alive.  
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,180 Senior Member
    Only Browning I own is a Buck Mark .22 pistol. I have admired many of their guns over the years, but never bought one until recently.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,180 Senior Member
    Of course, we all probably own a firearm designed or patterned after one of JMB creations.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,196 Senior Member
    I would LOVE to have a takedown BLR.... but I’m not so in love that I’d pay what they ask for them
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 693 Senior Member
    Love the Brownings I've got a BBR 7mm-08, BAR in 7mm Mag, A-bolt Stainless Stalker in .338 Win Mag, and a Citori field grade in 12ga...I love the Remingtons, Winchesters, Rugers, Savages, etc. but nothing I have compares the the feeling of quality, fit, and finish on the Brownings.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,655 Senior Member
    Browning rifles are always accurate out of the box, but I never cared for their Weatherby look alike stocks, and the guns were heavy. Haven't handled a new one so.... I do have a Buckmark, which I love, more accurate than I can shoot, and a 20Ga BPS upland special. 20" barrel with a straight stock. Was my grouse gun!!

• MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,342 Senior Member
    I will agree the M98 based Browning's were kind of porky....of course light & trim are not often terms I use to describe ANY commercial Mauser, outside of customs or pre-war hunting rifles. But the A-bolt line is very light in the hand. The Medallions need to lose about 3lbs of varnish, though. 

I have had a few, always great rifles. when I'm surfing the used racks and see a Browning, I'll still check the tag to see what it is, never know what you'll run across....even if I'd likely never buy another. But that is more of my desire to stick to ONE similar operating system (and why I have M70 safeties put on my M98's). A Stalker in 270 wsm and 375 H&H, I'd be set for the world. 
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file