Which 10/22 would you buy

2»

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,180 Senior Member
    edited March 8 #32
    I think the recoil pads are mostly for a longer LOP and muzzle brakes......just there for later to be removed a suppressor screwed on an/or competitions and those wanting a quicker follow on shot as slight as the muzzle rise may be, even a .22 has some recoil that can effect sight pictures and follow on shots.

But that's my take, I may be wrong as to the why.  

Or maybe for the cool factor B) B)  
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,766 Senior Member
    The 10/22 in any of it's variants had never floated my boat..... don't care for it at all....
    The 77/22 on the other hand.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,079 Senior Member
    "Recoil pads and muzzle brakes on a 22?  Geeze, guys, this should be an automatic point reduction on your man card."

I actually use compensators on mine to make them louder so the shot timer picks up the shots.  Especially rifles.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,946 Senior Member
    I have to admit I like pads because you can stand it in  the corner without it slipping and falling. on a hard floor.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    BC, there is another company that makes do-dads for the 60, DIProducts.com.  I actually have their trigger paddle, Mcabros was not out yet.  Their aluminum trigger guard rocks.  They have rails also to mount a scope to.  Quality stuff.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,404 Senior Member
    SIGgal said:
    Antonio said:
    Have you tried other kinds of ammo? Mine had feeding issues with Winchester 333/555 but will run smoothly with the unpopular Remington Thunderbolts.
    Was having this problem since new? Maybe as suggested above a good chamber & bolt (Check if the extractor is moving freely) cleaning and little lubricant is needed to allow the rifle to run as expected.

Antonio, I have tried ammo from CCI, WINCHESTER, REMINGTON, and whatever other brands..... all high velocity which it says to use, and none feed well at all. I'm going to the range today but will sell it if it doesn't function right with new magazines today. I'm not a happy girl when it comes to this rifle :(
    Have you cleaned the rifle?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Google how to take apart a 10/22

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,946 Senior Member
    I love 10/22s. However, they do need tweaking out of the box. In  my opinion the trigger sucks. I put a competition sear in mine and lightened it a ton. The magazine release had issues too, but right now I can't remember exactly what it was but I got the aftermarket replacement. Also, something with the recoil buffer in the back of the bolt. I put that replacement in too.

All the add ons made mine a fine shooter but they cost almost another $100 bringing the total price for the rifle up well over $300. For a little more than that I could have had a 77-22.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,404 Senior Member
    SIGgal said:
    cpj said:
    SIGgal said:
    Antonio said:
    Have you tried other kinds of ammo? Mine had feeding issues with Winchester 333/555 but will run smoothly with the unpopular Remington Thunderbolts.
    Was having this problem since new? Maybe as suggested above a good chamber & bolt (Check if the extractor is moving freely) cleaning and little lubricant is needed to allow the rifle to run as expected.

Antonio, I have tried ammo from CCI, WINCHESTER, REMINGTON, and whatever other brands..... all high velocity which it says to use, and none feed well at all. I'm going to the range today but will sell it if it doesn't function right with new magazines today. I'm not a happy girl when it comes to this rifle :(
    Have you cleaned the rifle?
    Ill let you in on a secret Chris. I'm a girl, but not stupid lol. With that said, yes I do clean all my guns religiously. My problem is that outside of basic cleanings, mechanical function and taking firearms apart outside of AR15'S is way beyond my ability to do. I grew up wearing dresses and playing with dolls unlike you guys who did boy things like building things and trying to figure out how things work, so if there are mechanical problems with my guns I have to rely on guys to help me figure it out. Dad has been sick for a few months now, Jason looked at it said ship it out, and here I am lol. 
    Well, with all the ARs "you've" built, I figured you would know how to field strip a 10-22. Point is, you claim to not know how. Therefore, you can't do a proper cleaning. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,180 Senior Member
    Been looking at Ruger 10/22 Takedowns again...............

Galley of Guns had a couple with Magpul stocks and fiber optic front and rear sights..........very interesting.

One is the Hunter model Magpul and you can adjust the LOP with inserts and add a piece for cheek weld/scope use with add-ons.

Another model called the Backpacker where the Magpul stock allows you to snap the bbl when apart into the bottom of a cutaway on the stock and the top of the stock lifts up with a compartment that holds three 10 rd rotary magazines............pretty cool.

Plus with the Magpuls you can reverse the fore end for hvy or reg bbls.

And they have a couple TDs with regular synthetic stocks and fiber optic sights, one with a Mini-14 flash suppressor and 25 rd mag.

All have threaded bbls.

I dunno, the Magpuls are neat, but for handiness and a more slim look and quick handling the regular stocks are better I think. I do like the FO sights.

But I need to concentrate on installing that M CARBO trigger/kit on my Marlin model 60 I ordered first, I think. 

Sure more options on the 10/22s than you can shake a stick at.

My idy is a compact and fast handling 10/22 with FO sights and a few 25 rd mags, plus add a better trigger and leave it sans scope/other optics. What real use will I have fer one.......heck I dunno................

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,274 Senior Member
    My 10/22 was kept in base carbine format for about 13 years and served as a casual plinker. I made some trigger upgrades, etc but that was really it. 

On a wild hair I "tac-****" the gun with an ER Shaw barrel and Magpul X-22 stock, and I LOVE this setup. As such, I would probably buy a target model in a similar configuration to what I have. 

However, if I were to buy a new .22 rifle today it would be a CZ 455 or a Tikka T1x. 

- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file