Man cave stuff

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,331 Senior Member
    You would be welcome here, you’re our kind of folk!
    I’m only hitting it so hard out of necessity, they may call and tell us our brick is ready at any time and I need the trailer to pick it up. This is a snowball job stemming from the fire pit which meant I needed to extend my brick patio whic meant I needed to fix my trailer. See how the mess starts.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,965 Senior Member
    This was what I worked on over the weekend. A red cedar mailbox post with cross beam for two boxes   
    The first picture is the bottom. So the best looking chunk will end up buried. 
    Not pictured are the steel box mounts and corner brackets. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    This was what I worked on over the weekend. A red cedar mailbox post with cross beam for two boxes   
    The first picture is the bottom. So the best looking chunk will end up buried. 
    Not pictured are the steel box mounts and corner brackets. 
    That is very nice.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

Nice, hope the ground you’ll e digging in is t to bad. Around here it takes a jackhammer to put in a mailbox post.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,898 Senior Member
    That is going to look way cool Deuce.
    Would have been nice to have it all out of cedar. At my country shop I don't have an address so no need for a box yet.
    Today I am getting my gutters & downs on .......with all the wind here now this should be fun.
    Old Ron said:
    That is going to look way cool Deuce.
    Would have been nice to have it all out of cedar. At my country shop I don't have an address so no need for a box yet.
    Today I am getting my gutters & downs on .......with all the wind here now this should be fun.
    I strongly considered doing the cross beam from cedar as well. I even tried to lay it out, that was when I realized... nope. At least not with the tools I have at my house. I had enough trouble doing the layout and cutting the top notch. 

I didn’t have enough Red Cedar on hand either. 
    When I got that tree it was just going to be a single mailbox on top, so I just grabbed the one. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    Looking forward to seeing is completed, please post pics.
    edited March 15 #549
    Old Ron said:
    So how did the gutter job go? I truly don’t know how you can work in that cold.

A buddy side me to make a hitch cover for his truck, I think I’m getting the hang of the plasma cutter, it’s turning out nice!

I have a done stamp on the gutters & downs today. The wind made it feel colder than it was.
    The job turned out ok & all I need to do is make a rubber gasket for the downs so dirt & dust doesn't get in the water. In this pic you see the $10.00 tanks.

Man you did get a steal on those tanks.
    The hitch cover turned out great ! I didn't know that down your way there were that many goat farmers. But a cool looking goat any way ! :)
    Old Ron said:
    The hitch cover turned out great ! I didn't know that down your way there were that many goat farmers. But a cool looking goat any way ! :)
    BWahahahahahahahaaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    thats funny right there I don’t care who you are!
    I was hopeing you would take it the way it was meant timc.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,998 Senior Member
    Around here you'd do it with live oak or mesquite. Either one of which is like cutting iron with a dull hack saw.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    With the water tanks done now on to something new in the world of projects. I have no idea what but when it hits me I plan to go with the flow.I need to set up some type of stand for the lathe. It needs to be compact & easy clean up. Right now it is in the middle of the garage & needs to be cleaned & painted. The toy needs sanding & more primer on. 2 stocks are still kicking 1 needs more sanding. Gun parts need hot blueing but to cold yet for that at the country shop. Need to set up my greenhouse for starting tobacco plants. Like I said not really much to do ! lol
    :)

I got the last coat of oil on everything. So far everything is looking about like I wanted. A friend described it as robust. Exactly what I was after. 

Now to to finish the box. I made some stencils for the house numbers... now I have orange peel in my numbers. Oh well, let it dry and sand them off to try again. 
    Dad 5-31-13
    edited March 18 #558
    That’s looking pretty good, looking forward to seeing it finished. These little projects are fun and very gratifying knowing you built it yourself.

My next project is extending my brick patio off the back porch another 13’x10’ so I have more room for  new fire pit.  Not looking forward to that. We ordered 2 Qubes of brick that should be in first of the week,  not doing much this weekend except for relaxing.
    I took the weekend off too. I have loads to do but needed the away time . This week I need to catch up on small repairs on car .....one truck (tommy lift connection ) ......get plants started .....& biggest of all clean up some of this stuff. Summer is coming on fast & most of my time will be at the country shop.

I got the last coat of oil on everything. So far everything is looking about like I wanted. A friend described it as robust. Exactly what I was after. 

Now to to finish the box. I made some stencils for the house numbers... now I have orange peel in my numbers. Oh well, let it dry and sand them off to try again. 
    I hate it when I get close to a done stamp on a project & it goes sideways on me. I usually go to a plan B so I don't make a bad situation worse.
    Old Ron said:
    I hate it when I get close to a done stamp on a project & it goes sideways on me. I usually go to a plan B so I don't make a bad situation worse.
    Plan B Saturday evening was give up and drink beer. So I did. 
    Dad 5-31-13
    Old Ron said:
    Some days plan B should have been plan A right off the bat ! I like to get things done but some days makes me go backwards. I usually have more than one project going at the same time & when things go bad with 2 or 3 of them the same day I really start thinking about drinking again. Usually I just grab my Pepsi & walk away cussing & talking to myself.
    Old Ron said:
    Sometimes step back and reflect is the way to go. A breather clears the mind and opens it for new direction, especially when beer is added!
    Today I was caught with one of those easy quick jobs ...........not so quick !
    All I needed to do is replace a remote for my Tommy lift on my small truck.  8 1/2 hours later it is on. The rest of the todo list goes on tomorrows list. I was so sure that it would go quick I was outside in my flip flops at 40 out it got real cold real fast. This summer I will redo that bad designed peace of crapola. For now it works so done stamp.

Any more I expect all jobs to go long. I’m not as fast as I used to be and an expert at nothing so I get in the the “What the hell?” Stage a lot.

i got all the brick for the patio job yesterday, guess now nothing to do but grab a shovel and get at it. Having a hard time motivating on this one.
    That work is nothing but pain ! I am to a point that gravel looks just fine. My back hurts from all the bending over yesterday so this will be a 2 aspirin day I'm thinking. It's 24 here now & getting up to 40 so not much I want to do outside. I did manage to get my plants set up & started so hope to have 15 tobacco plants & 5 pepper plants this year. That stuff is kinda fun to mess with .......at times. Still have a bunch of 1/2 done projects so should grab one & move it on a bit. All this inside stuff will slow way down in the summer. ( until it gets to hot ) With snow & rain here now that is looking good.
    edited March 24 #567
    Doing some craft stuff. Wanting a clock of some kind in the shop, something Texas themed. I like it but I think I’m going to make something else for the shop. Made out of 1/8” plate.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,236 Senior Member
    timc said:
    Any more I expect all jobs to go long. I’m not as fast as I used to be and an expert at nothing so I get in the the “What the hell?” Stage a lot.

Pretty much, huh? Like I tell my wife, "Its a 10 minute job, so it shouldn't take more than 4 hours!".
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    Yep a steel monster is coming alive !
    The clock looks great .......hard to tell the time on it but in Texas who cares what time it is !
    I did the same thing tim when I first started playing with my projects. I went as far as to make a logo / brand for the front of my lawn shed. It is a diamond K brand. ( I thought it was cool )
    Yes all kinds of fun little stuff comes to mind. We live a couple blocks from a very touristy area, once a month they have market days. At market days all items sold by the vendors have to be made by the vendor. This kind of stuff would sell well there. Maybe I have something to keep me busy in my retirement years, metal art and fire pits, market day here would be a good outlet to move some of the stuff out to make room for more projects.
    When I buy tools I always try to find ways for them to pay for there self. Maybe it is just my way to justify buying more tools. ( it works ! ) My tools bought my guns & in turn my guns protect my tools. Oh my sick mind has this all figured out !  :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file