Identification of previously unknown soldiers made possible thanks to DNA testing and humanitarian.

shushshush Senior MemberPosts: 6,260 Senior Member

Falklands: Argentinian soldiers' relatives to put names on graves
http://https//www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/11/argentinian-soldiers-names-graves-falkland-islands-dna

The identification process was only possible thanks to Geoffrey Cardozo, a British army captain who speaks Spanish. Dispatched to the Falklands in 1982, initially to deal with post-combat discipline, he spent six weeks helping build a cemetery for the largely conscripted soldiers that British forces found scattered – sometimes half-buried – across the islands. He put white sheets and plastic bags over each body and buried each soldier with a casket containing any effects he could find on them such as ID numbers or letters for home. He compiled a logbook of where he had found the bodies, any identifying marks and where they were buried.

Cardozo said: “I am an army officer, I am a soldier but before everything else I am a human being. Nine hundred little hearts stopped beating in 1982, although they still beat hard in the breasts of their loved ones.”

Good man.

“These families has suffered a double bereavement of losing a child to war and having no specific place to shed a tear, or lay a flower.”
Lost no more lads.
Stand down.

How does it go;

We can forgive the killing of our sons but never forgive you for forcing us to kill yours.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,258 Senior Member
    Good work by the Captain. They're still identifying remains from WWII and Vietnam with DNA. DNA has made it MUCH easier to identify the remains than ever before. Bring 'em all home; no more unknown soldiers.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Good work by the Captain. They're still identifying remains from WWII and Vietnam with DNA. DNA has made it MUCH easier to identify the remains than ever before. Bring 'em all home; no more unknown soldiers.
    They did not want them back mate, that is why we are looking after them.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

shush said:
    tennmike said:
    They did not want them back mate, that is why we are looking after them.

Well that's just not right.

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,764 Senior Member
    Well done Captain....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    edited March 13 #6

The Argentine cemetery at Darwin on the Falkland Islands.

Family and war veterans visit to show respect.

Comment approval, what and when.......................

http://https//warontherocks.com/2015/06/is-the-u-s-military-ready-for-a-falklands-war-scenario/
    Bit of insight.

How can you have a discussion, please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a really nice place and well kept up, too. As it should be, or as y'all folks say, 'Good Show, Mate!'

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,636 Senior Member
    Rather touching tale there.

It reminded me of a bit from the movie The Water Diviner from a couple years back in which Russell Crowe plays an Australian farmer who travels to Turkey post WWI to try and find the remains of his sons killed at Gallipoli.  One of the British military graves registration liaisons frustrated with his insistence remarks that past practice (such as at Waterloo) was to heap the combat dead into mass graves, and it was only with the recent conflict that people seemed to care or be making an effort to identify individuals.

It certainly wasn't unusual in earlier conflicts for the holder of the ground to tend to their own and let nature tend to the enemy in the form of hogs or buzzards.

I'd like to hope this means we've progressed a little, rather than the technology of ID and disposal has simply gotten better.  Good to see those ordered to give it all up for a cause be individually recognized with "sides" not coming into it.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,139 Senior Member
    Not only human remains identification technology; 200 years ago, or even 100 years ago (Still today in 3rld. world countries) a poor peasant or common folk with a son/brother/husband killed in battle had literally no way of claiming the body, nowhere to ask, no one to listen or care; today it has become a P.R. nightmare for politicians in democratic States, so they actually began "caring"; specially if the press finds the situation suitable to their interests and make those in charge uncomfortable.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file