First Two of 2018 (a Deuce of Deuce-Deuces)

BigslugBigslug Senior MemberPosts: 6,637 Senior Member
So, I was making the rounds of the local shops about a month ago when a skinny, pimple-faced tweaker & his mom walk in looking tp part with granddad's .22 for "gas money".  Dry and dusty on the outside; perfect bore on the inside.  The shop paid the typical rate for used and not real pretty single shots, and I was more than happy to double the owner's output:

Winchester 67:

Going by a quick web search (where everything is of course factual and trustworthy) of the features, his one was born sometime between late 1937 and early 1944   A bit of moisture swelling of the wood grain and a couple minor stock cracks that were readily filled with Super Glue, it's got some character.  This one is easily Minute of Golf Ball for the 25 yards I've thus far shot it at (crappy indoor range light on open sights with old, slow eyeballs).  It won't properly zero with the sights centered, so current thinking is to put the rear sight in the middle to put the elevator on the barrel's apex and live with the front sight pushed a little bit to the right.

In honor of the previous owner, I've nickednamed this one "Tweaker". Since I named the much classier Winchester 63 I picked up last year "Crackpipe" (because once you pick it up, you can't put it down", there seems to be a theme brewing with the recent acquisitions.

The second one is a Remington 514BC (Boy's Carbine) that I mainly snagged because with a California DROS fee being basically a third the cost of either rifle, I figured to cut the DROS fee in half by spreading it across two long guns:

This one's got a barrel date code that puts production in November of 1970, and it's basically new.  The toe's cracked off the buttplate (got a replacement ordered).  Typical Remington tack-driver given the limits of the short barrel and open sights.  "Windage" on this one is adjusted by loosening the two screws that hold the front sight to the barrel, wiggling it right or left, and then clamping the screws back down when you have it where you want it.

It's got a bit of an atypical front sight - kinda M1 Carbine-like:

At least, none of the pics of 514BC's I've seen online have a front sight like this.  Anybody more familiar with the breed, please chime in.  Plan is to corrupt the children of friends and relatives with this one.

.22's. . .it seems a harmless enough addiction. . . 
WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,280 Senior Member
    I like 'em both! Can't have too many .22 rimfire rifles!
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 958 Senior Member
    Just two words.

Wall
    Nut
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,637 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Nope, you really can't.  I'm pretty stoked to finally have a 67; it's basically an evolution of JMB's model 1900 with the addition of the wing safety.  We tend to marvel at the size of John's brain when speaking in terms of the big bore Winchester repeaters, Colt autos, machineguns, etc..., but he was kinda showing off .even when told to go cheap and economical; the receiver is milled out of the back of the barrel blank, the sear and extractor are the same part, the firing pin does double-duty as the ejector. . , the man had his poop in a group.

The replacement buttplate for the 514 came from NC Ordnance not long after I made the first post. Looks like they really do the old molds justice:   http://gungrip.com/  Install tomorrow!  :D
    WWJMBD?

• Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,221 Senior Member
    Nice!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,378 Senior Member
    tennmike said:

I like em both too but.........Yes you can
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,711 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    This!!!  I have to pull myself away from the .22 racks at the local gun shows.  Too easy and I want to take them ALL home!!!  Really nice scores!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,280 Senior Member
    Bigslug, I bookmarked that page on grips. That will come in handy! :)
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,195 Senior Member
    That Winchester is the very gun I grew up on!!!!!!  Shooting targets and squirrels as a kid!
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,648 Senior Member
    Pre 1937 models have finger grooves in the forearm. I have an early one with factory peep sight mounted on the barrel. Both great finds, fun to shoot and you can’t have to many 22s!!
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,236 Senior Member
    I love it! Great score! I need a good old single shot 22
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,940 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    tennmike said:
    Nope, you really can't.  I'm pretty stoked to finally have a 67; it's basically an evolution of JMB's model 1900 with the addition of the wing safety.  We tend to marvel at the size of John's brain when speaking in terms of the big bore Winchester repeaters, Colt autos, machineguns, etc..., but he was kinda showing off .even when told to go cheap and economical; the receiver is milled out of the back of the barrel blank, the sear and extractor are the same part, the firing pin does double-duty as the ejector. . , the man had his poop in a group.

The replacement buttplate for the 514 came from NC Ordnance not long after I made the first post. Looks like they really do the old molds justice:   http://gungrip.com/  Install tomorrow!  :D

I can have enough because I have three and now I can't make up my mind which one to take to the range.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,153 Senior Member
    Neat ole .22s, Congrats!
    I remember firing a single shot .22 with a plunger or c o c k i n g piece on the end of the receiver you had to pull to fire it after a round was chambered.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,153 Senior Member
    Does that 67 work like that?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief said:
    Does that 67 work like that?
    Yep.  That's how they roll.

On closer study, the firing pin is NOT working as the ejector; the combination sear/extractor turns out to actually be a combination sear/extractor/ejector, and one little upward-pressing leaf spring on the bottom of the barrel is powering all of it.  I think the word to apply here would be "elegant".  We need that "we are not worthy" emoji back.
    WWJMBD?

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,376 Senior Member
    edited March 11 #16
    Similar set up to this?
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • john.41john.41 Member Posts: 302 Member
    If you need something to feed them... I just ordered some 325 boxes of Federal 36gr HP's for $14.99 a box from Cabelas this morning. Free shipping with 38FREE code.
    cpj said:
    Similar set up to this?
    Similar DNA that might have spent some time next to an unshielded nuclear reactor. . .or maybe it was the 67 that got bit by the radioactive spider. . . At any rate, the 67 has so much much of the cycle of operations being performed by so few parts, I think it's the one with super powers.

The 67's trigger and rebound spring are pinned into the stock and stay there when you pull the rest of the rifle out.  The sear/extractor/ejector slides into a slot in the receiver's 6:00 under the upward-pushing leaf spring which is held on in a similar fashion to what you show.  The S/E/E has engagement and cam surfaces both top and bottom that are worked upon by the trigger (drops the back down off the firing pin), bolt face (shoves the whole thing forward into battery by bearing on the rear of the extractor surface), bolt innards (pulls the whole thing back causing extraction), and various bends in the leaf spring as it gets yanked forward and backward.  I'm still puzzling out whether it's the bolt face coming off a cam surface that allows the S/E/E to kick upward causing ejection, or some action farther back.

Somebody here has got the Kalashnikov quote as their sig line about it being much harder to make something simple than to make something complex.  There's a lot of that going on here.  It's a neat little piece!
    WWJMBD?

I'll be taking a simple mechanism, and....complicating it...
    That's enough of a tease. 
    Zee
    edited March 14 #20
    cpj said:
    A Mauser pattern trigger on a pull-to-coke rimfire?  

I'm not sure "tease" is the correct word - there's a difference between titillated and morbid fascination.  ;)
    WWJMBD?

Bigslug said:
    cpj said:
    A Mauser pattern trigger on a pull-to-coke rimfire?  

I'm not sure "tease" is the correct word - there's a difference between titillated and morbid fascination.  ;)
    I want a .22 specialty pistol. Options are few. I was offered parts and guidance. Receiver will be  scratch built. 
    That should hold you over...
    Zee
    The inner child is pleased! :D

This is but a tiny fraction of the slaughter that I wrought today.  It's good to see that the ammo-gobbling OCD repetitive motion of feeding .22's into a single shot that I learned in my youth hasn't left me.  It seems odd, but I think I go through more .22's with single shot than I do anything with a mag.

I tweaked on the sights until I was reliably hitting orange clay fragments at 50 yards and then started laying waste to the large quantity of cans and water bottles saved up for the purpose.  The Winchester is considerably more instinctive, what with having an adult-sized stock; the Remington can generate a bit higher rate of fire what with not requiring a separate motion to cock the striker.

Having grown up with a Remington 510 single shot, which had an auto-resetting safety, and was a modular receiver that could be made mag fed (511 / 513) or tube fed (512) I LIKE this simpler 514 mechanism.  I might have to hunt down a Big Kid's model.

A good day after a hectic week - no Science; just screwin' around!
    WWJMBD?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file