Tell me this isn't the stupidest thing you've seen all day

2»

Replies

• Squawk BoxSquawk Box New Member Posts: 48 Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/CTPso-yCkzw

Holy Crap! A self defense app! I think it would work better if she had a gun in her other hand....because threatening language from an official looking character on a phone is so much more effective than 230 grains at 900 fps....

Yeah that was pretty stupid, and I would go with a .45 FMJ every time, over that simple-minded method. There will be women who get killed when they do that, instead of shooting the creep.
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 5,733 Senior Member
    Here's how I see this: 

This deters no one, save for (possibly) some amped up punk looking for nothing more than to score a quick buck through a purse snatching.  For the rest, the point of their attack is pretty much to catch their victim unawares... which they pretty much do.  Most smart device cameras don't record fast action to video all that well, so, even if you manage to frame the suspect, the image will almost certainly be an unrecognizable blur.  The problem with the "if it saves just one life/ even just 10% mindset is that, unless I'm one of those lives saved, I won't care much... not to mention that this video portrayed the app as STOPPING the crime altogether, NOT as "making it easier to identify the perp" after the crime has been committed.

No thanks.  I'm more of a "make the dirtbag work (bleed) for it" kind of guy. 
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,267 Senior Member
    A BIG cannister of bear OC spray would be more useful. Or a squirt bottle filled with a high concentration ammonia solution and set on stream. If ya can't carry a firearm legally, then going to chemical deterrent would be the next logical step.
    Non Sibi Sed Patriage (Not for self, but country)

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,901 Senior Member
    Here's how I see this: 

This deters no one, save for (possibly) some amped up punk looking for nothing more than to score a quick buck through a purse snatching.  For the rest, the point of their attack is pretty much to catch their victim unawares... which they pretty much do.  Most smart device cameras don't record fast action to video all that well, so, even if you manage to frame the suspect, the image will almost certainly be an unrecognizable blur.  The problem with the "if it saves just one life/ even just 10% mindset is that, unless I'm one of those lives saved, I won't care much... not to mention that this video portrayed the app as STOPPING the crime altogether, NOT as "making it easier to identify the perp" after the crime has been committed.

No thanks.  I'm more of a "make the dirtbag work (bleed) for it" kind of guy. 
    OK, you're right. I was just trying to think of something besides acting like a big coward to distract him while I was waiting for a chance to shoot, while he wasn't looking.
2»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file