Slide Mounted Miniature Red Dots for an EDC gun?

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,271 Senior Member
The title says it all, what is everybody's thoughts on slide mounted miniature red dot sights for an EDC? More and more shooters that I know personally and who's opinions I respect are switching to RMRs for EDC, backed up by suppressor height sights. I've shot a few and really enjoy them, and see some serious merits. 

How serious? I'm considering having my G19 milled for an RMR. I'm no pro, but the advantage of being able to always focus on the target is blatant. 

We have had red dot sights on battle rifles for well over a decade, IMO the technology is here to stay. 

So, has anybody here considered adding this to their "toolkit?"
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,566 Senior Member
    I am getting there, to the extent that I have looked for mounts that can replace existing rear sights, at the time this was not a good option. How much to modify the Glock?
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,901 Senior Member
    A CT laser would be a lot cheaper, if you are willing to go battery power for your self defense gun.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,070 Senior Member
    When my red dot failed in the middle of a match, I found it very difficult to use the suppressor size iron sites.  Probably just me.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,636 Senior Member
    I have more trouble finding dot reticles on handguns than I do irons, so I simply just don't prefer them, BUT. . .

The #1 technological requirement of a last-ditch defensive weapon is that IT WORK! When I stop and think of all the things I've seen go wrong with handguns, the last thing I want to do is shift to a glass, plastic, and microchip system that requires batteries for me to merely aim the thing, mounted high off the slide where the whole world can bang into it.  Can you even see through them with rain on the lens?   Can you even see the irons through them with rain on the lens. . .or a cracked lens?  Backup suppressor-height sights?  Ummm. . .no.  By the time that you look for your red dot, perceive that it isn't there, make the decision to shift to your irons, and remind yourself how to use them, you may already be a corpse.

I agree that it's probably tech that is going to hang around, but I'll let others spend the next decade getting killed in the line of making it reliable.  We're looking for "the edge" in the wrong places, IMO.  Spend the money on ammo and practice.

WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,363 Senior Member
    edited April 2 #6
    Not for me. 
    My cousin just sent his sight back to Sig to be replaced. He got whatever the new Sig that fires when dropped, and it had their dot on it. It's SUPPOSED to come out of sleep mode when you draw. It quit doing that, unless you smacked the **** out of the slide.  
    A couple  chunks of steel always work. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,075 Senior Member
    Not a fan. For the reasons others have stated PLUS, compared to even a good set of night sights, they're HUGE and I don't want it in the way when trying to carry concealed.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,517 Senior Member
    Anything that adds anything to any dimension of my CCW guns is unwelcome - whether it be overall size or weight. A mini red dot will stick up above the slide, making the weapon less compact, probably enough to disqualify it from pocket carry, which for me, is the only way to go. 
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,704 Senior Member
    I’m trying to make my EDCs lighter and more concealable so not for me.  But I can certainly see the merit and maybe if I was younger and not so set in my ways I’d go that way.  Right now all I really need is a big dot front site and I’m good to go.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file