Wow, crazy auction prices

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 31,351 Senior Member
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,236 Senior Member
    There are 2 kinds of idiots on {insert auction site here}, idiot sellers, and idiot buyers. That K98 is a nice rifle (weird looking bore picture notwithstanding), and the bid price might be within reason if it (the rifle) hasn't been "boosted", which I don't think CDNN would do. But I'm thinking the the Broomhandle has been bid up past the idiot stage...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,647 Senior Member
    I dunno. . .

The only new 1911's you can buy today in which all the small parts are milled stock will probably cost you about as much as that C-96.

How many bolt guns can you buy today that aren't relying a lot on plastic, aluminum, stampings, and roll pins?

Probably from the '50's and somewhat into the early '90's  we had a state of there being so many WWI and WWII leftovers that nobody could conceive of ever running out of them.  That is no longer the case - they're mostly in individual hands now; not in those of importers buying and selling by the shipload.  We have also entered into a phase in which most of what's being offered was made for profit rather than victory.

They have history.  They're better in a lot of ways than what you can currently buy new.  Nobody's making anything new like them for a working man's money.  Other than crying about how  "I should have bought a bunch back when I was a kid and couldn't afford them even then because I was on a burger flipping salary", what have we got to grouse about?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,351 Senior Member
    Hey, you can still pick up a genuine Russian Mule/Mosin Nagant fer heck........$200-$300 with matching SN#s.....and they are wood and steel ............more or less and embedded cosmoline.......not exactly a work of art, but functional.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,196 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Hey, you can still pick up a genuine Russian Mule/Mosin Nagant fer heck........$200-$300 with matching SN#s.....and they are wood and steel ............more or less and embedded cosmoline.......not exactly a work of art, but functional.
    I remember those being sub $100 not that long ago...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,602 Senior Member
    You know how much something is worth?
    However much someone will pay.

Auction prices are dependent on the bidders. And the Mauser is marked "Sold."
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,901 Senior Member
    Auctions to me are a way to see what the high end of stupid is.
    Most people would never walk up & see that price on a gun & buy it outright.
    Buying one for parts is tough because you end up with a lot left over.
    I buy one that needs parts on the cheap then spend months & years looking for them .........and I wonder why I have so many guns & parts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file