The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Comments

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 510 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Nuts. The mini-split air evac and startup got rained out today. HVAC guy hopes to come tomorrow...
    Good call.  The last thing you want to do is open up the refrigeration system in weather like we had today.  Moisture in the system will kill the compressor.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,652 Senior Member
    Found out its possible to get bitched at for not doing something that you were not asked to do. Guess I should have known that. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 271 Member
    cpj said:
    Found out its possible to get bitched at for not doing something that you were not asked to do. Guess I should have known that. 
    You’ve obviously been married for more than 10 years.
    cpj said:
    You’ve obviously been married for more than 10 years.
    20 years into a 25 year sentence. 
    Zee
    It’s impossible to do proper vetting on women in the early stages. I think the precious metal in wedding rings is toxic to their brains or something.
    It’s impossible to do proper vetting on women in the early stages. I think the precious metal in wedding rings is toxic to their brains or something.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,347 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Went to the store for groceries...check out lady asked me if I wanted my milk in a bag.....told her it would probably be better to leave it in the jug....
    I'll have to remember that - but they don't even ask around here. I never want milk, or anything else with a handle already on it, in a bag. All that does is makes it harder to carry...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,608 Senior Member
    Winches on Jeeps come in handy. Wife decides to move some bushes that had been growing in one spot for years. She had dug a circle around two of them before I got around there. When I walked up she said I give up they won't budge. I said (hold my beer and watch this) came back around the house in my Jeep. What's that for she asked. Got out looped the synthetic rope around the base where she had dug. The whole time listening to,,,,that ain't never going to work. Hit the button on the remote and the dang thing was pulling my Jeep towards it :D Told her to go hold my brake. A few seconds later the whole thing come up roots and all. Then I get to hear, well I didn't think that would work. Never underestimate an old man in a Jeep. B)
    Like I told one guy one time: I got a turbo diesel and a chain. It *will* come out!

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,557 Senior Member
    edited April 11 #29052
    Well the HVAC saga continues...

Came home today to no AC again. Went out and checked.... YEP, one of the new 40 amp breakers is tripped. (replaced a 30 ampers due to availability)

Reset it and switched it back on.... OMG! level of sparking occurred inside the panel and it immediately tripped again. The other 40amp leg was still on, so I immediately flipped it off too.
    Called them again and specified that they send an electrician this time.

Little while later, 2 of them arrived, they opened up the panel, flipped the breaker back on, got sparks at the ground bar.

So they unhooked the wires from both the breaker and the outdoor unit and went to testing.
    Found variable continuity between the ground and one of the hot leads. LUCKILY I had purchased the original 10ga wire  used to power the original system and I'd purchased 4 conductor. They checked and they had 2 good conductors and 2 grounds.
    So they made the unused red lead hot and SO FAR I have a working heat pump <crosses fingers>

Funny thing is, while talking to one of the techs, turns out he's the son of a buddy from high school
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

zorba said:
    Like I told one guy one time: I got a turbo diesel and a chain. It *will* come out!

Yes, but I've screwed up doing that twice in my life. Once was a broke driveshaft the other was a rear end. This way there is no moving parts but the winch.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,594 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:

Came home today to no AC again. Went out and checked.... YEP, one of the new 40 amp breakers is tripped. (replaced a 30 ampers due to availability)

Reset it and switched it back on.... OMG! level of sparking occurred inside the panel and it immediately tripped again. The other 40amp leg was still on, so I immediately flipped it off too.

Little while later, 2 of them arrived, they opened up the panel, flipped the breaker back on, got sparks at the ground bar.

So they unhooked the wires from both the breaker and the outdoor unit and went to testing.
    Found variable continuity between the ground and one of the hot leads. LUCKILY I had purchased the original 10ga wire  used to power the original system and I'd purchased 4 conductor. They checked and they had 2 good conductors and 2 grounds.
    So they made the unused red lead hot and SO FAR I have a working heat pump <crosses fingers>

Funny thing is, while talking to one of the techs, turns out he's the son of a buddy from high school

hope it works out, hey
    My new Signature
     knitepoet said:

They didn't leave the 40 amp breaker on the 10 gauge wire did they?
    terminator012 said:
    Yep

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet said:
    terminator012 said:
    Yep

Probably won't be a problem but 10 gauge wire isn't rated for 40 amps.
    edited April 11 #29058
    Well, won't be a problem, JUST tripped the breaker AGAIN, so when they come out, I am going to ensure they replace the wiring with the 8ga required by NEC.

Why, 1) because NEC says so. 2) because the tech who came out Sunday assured me the current wiring was enough to handle 40 amp service, so I hadn't bothered to check.
    3) That same tech has already pissed me off once, and since what he initially did is out of code, I imagine the owner that I plan on talking to tomorrow will call him to the carpet for costing him the money for rewiring

zorba said:

Yes, but I've screwed up doing that twice in my life. Once was a broke driveshaft the other was a rear end. This way there is no moving parts but the winch.
    Overkill my friend, overkill! Gotta make sure the truck is at least 10 x more than you need!

But yea, I woulda use a winch in your position too! Mo' easy.

8 gauge for 40 amps, 10 for 30. 
    However did I gather you have two single pole  breakers?
    Zee
    edited April 11 #29061
    cpj said:
    8 gauge for 40 amps, 10 for 30. 
    However did I gather you have two single pole  breakers?
    Mostly.
    Look at a Siemens Q3040

It's a 1 piece breaker with 2x30 amp poles on the outside, the switches are connected by a metal "strap" for lack of knowledge of the correct term., and 2x40 amp poles in the middle. Their switches have a pin connecting them

edited to add: they replaced a Siemens Q3030

Well, called and their night call answerer gave me the name of the service manager, and is supposedly letting him know to expect a call from me no later than 0705 in the morning (He supposedly gets in @ 0700)

Sounds like your whole problem to start with was a short or something in the wiring. Man, I hope they get this worked out for you.
    edited April 11 #29064
    Sounds like your whole problem to start with was a short or something in the wiring. Man, I hope they get this worked out for you.
    Yep and thanks
    Once they replace the wiring, EVERYTHING except the breaker box will be BRAND SPANKING NEW.

So if it STILL has issues, we'll start all over with new everything again on their dime.

I'll blame their lack of fixing it the first 3 tries with damaging the new compressor, since it was SLOWLY turning and trying to run @ half power, for I don't know how long today

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,074 Senior Member
    So did the original unit really need to be replaced after all?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief said:
    Probably not

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,074 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Big Chief said:
    Probably not
    Do you have any recourse? Report to the BBB or credit card company?

That is really crappy to convince and sell you a new unit if you didn't need it. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,304 Senior Member

Knite you really need to contact an attorney and your state attorney generals office.  The company charged you what appears to be inflated prices and did shoddy work. The work not meeting code could put you and family in danger and in the future make it all but impossible for you to sell the house without meeting standards. That could turn into your biggest issue in the future.

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Chief, going to wait until it's fixed and working properly. Just the mention of the word "lawyer" almost caused one tech to pack-up and leave.

Ron, BBB and attorney are on my "to do" list

In better HVAC news, the mini-split is up and running. HVAC guy told me I did a great job installing it, then told me a couple of self-install horror stories. Now I can put up the sheetrock over the refrigerant lines, wiring, etc.

Well done oh veiled one B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file