Do you still have your first firearm?

124»

Replies

• Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 384 Member
    I don't know what rifle I had my 1st shooting experience with or how old I was.  I do remember my first gun. I was in kindergarten and we were at a flea market. My dad bought me a single shot New England arms 4-10. I know walking around that flea market with the gun broke open over my shoulder I was 10 feet tall. I haven't shot it in years need to dust it off and shoot some skeet this spring with it.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,092 Senior Member
    Big T said:
    I have most of it!  I will be 66 in a few months and when I was 5 or 6, dear old dad (deceased now about 14 years), handed me a Stevens Favorite in .25 rimfire.  To protect me from myself, he filed the firing pin off.

In my mid-teen years, I decided to"customize" the old Stevens, after perusin a Weatherby catalog dear old dad had laying around.  The checkering went poorly-very poorly.  I then decided to remove the butt stock, and in doing so, cracked off the lower tang. 

Today the action and barrel (minus the lower tang, fore & butt stock) hang in my shop.  One of these days I will send the remnants out for a restoration.  But then again I might not:  as it is, there are many memories.

I don't recall ever hearing of a .25 rim fire.  Was that a typo, or is there really such a critter?
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 1,998 Senior Member
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,092 Senior Member
    rberglof said:

Thanks.  Live and learn.

I wonder if ammo is available.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,695 Senior Member
    Big T said:
    I have most of it!  I will be 66 in a few months and when I was 5 or 6, dear old dad (deceased now about 14 years), handed me a Stevens Favorite in .25 rimfire.  To protect me from myself, he filed the firing pin off.

In my mid-teen years, I decided to"customize" the old Stevens, after perusin a Weatherby catalog dear old dad had laying around.  The checkering went poorly-very poorly.  I then decided to remove the butt stock, and in doing so, cracked off the lower tang. 

Today the action and barrel (minus the lower tang, fore & butt stock) hang in my shop.  One of these days I will send the remnants out for a restoration.  But then again I might not:  as it is, there are many memories.

I don't recall ever hearing of a .25 rim fire.  Was that a typo, or is there really such a critter?
    They are real, my wife inherited one from her late father. A fellow forum member even found a small amount of ammo for it.  Said ammo may or may not fire as the few that we did shoot, some took several primer strikes or did not shoot at all
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,549 Senior Member
    Nope. A  Hawes Deputy Marshal .22 single-action, black with white grips.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,505 Senior Member
    Big T said:

Yep, along with .32 Rimfires and probably even larger ones.  You can find the rimfire rifles in great shape for little money because you can't find ammo for them.  I had a .44 Swiss at one time.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,248 Senior Member
    edited April 5 #99
    Yes I do. It’s a savage 72 calling block. I still shoot it every now and then. I have replaced the firing pin twice now, a problem with that particular model. I got this rifle in 1985.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Big TBig T New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    rberglof said:

Thanks.  Live and learn.

I wonder if ammo is available.

I've seen .25 rimfire ammo at gun shows through the years.  As I mentioned, I still have the remains of that first gun, plus another Favorite in .25 rimfire.

When I firstbstarted going to gun shows, prices on those old Stevens were "give away", and I picked up a half dozen or so.  Today, prices for the most common, are many multiples, but that means little as I've never sold a firearm and never will.  
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,212 Senior Member
    edited April 8 #101
    The 25 rimfire was a favorite of Elmer Keith who lamented its passing in his fine books Sixguns by Keith and Elmer Keith his life story, Hell I was there.
  • coolwhipcoolwhip New Member Posts: 14 New Member
    my daughter has my old daisy bb gun " rifle " and 1 st. bow 50 lb. bear compound. gave my baby sis my first rifle 22 over 20 gauge under for a early b-day present before I left for the army. still have my first pistol iver Johnson arms & cycle works 38 top break was my great or great great grand pa's 
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,253 Senior Member
    Yup, Savage-Stevens, side by side 20 gauge.

I used my fathers' guns growing up so I didn't buy this double until July of 1987.

Still an excellent little shotgun with the wood redone.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,476 Senior Member
    Other than BB guns, I guess my 1st was an Ithaca Mod 37 20 ga. My dad had bought it from a coworker a few years earlier. He gave it to me the night he won a Win 1400 in a raffle the Jaycees or Lions had at a high school football game. I was in the 6th grade. Still have. It was a quail shootin' sonofagun. 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,998 Senior Member
    Big T said:

I don't recall ever hearing of a .25 rim fire.  Was that a typo, or is really such a critter?
    Yes, there were .25 cal. Rimfires along with I think a .32 or 2.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
124»

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file