WWII Big guns and museums

ilove22silove22s Senior MemberPosts: 1,010 Senior Member
hey all,

i had some PTO to use to loose so i used.  Went back to Bastogne for another personal tour.  Mostly went back to see a real Tiger tank, photo below.  You can go on google maps, input "tiger tank, Belgium" and look near the museum.  My guide told me on my first trip years ago that it was in a farmers field.  Well its been prettied up and put on the side of the road.  Really cool attraction.

also went to part of the Siegfried Line.   Another really cool and interesting area.  From what my guide told me, the Germans want to removal it all.  This part was on some farmers land.  So i could see that point, but it would be nice if some of it was left as-is.

Yes, thats snow on the ground.  I was there a mid March several weeks ago and thats what i had on most of my trip and it was 0C.  So i had a chance to feel what our GIs did minus the shooting.  I should note my medium weight jacket isnt so medium weight.

Heres a Big Red 1 memorial we stopped at.  ITs in a round about.  I forget the location, but i think its in a photo on my phone.

I also went to Dirkirch, Luxembourg.  The tour guide mentioned that the museum up there is something not to miss and that was my first time, so i made a point to visit.  ALot of hardware in such a small place.

this is in the front of the museum, a 155.  

here is a shot of some toys up on the 2nd floor.

if any of you all have a chance to head in that part of the world, there is alot of cool places you need to check out.  Also for those of you that make it to Luxembourg, its a small country.  But whats cool is that for about 5 bucks, you can buy an all day ticket.  You can travel ANYWHERE in Luxembourg for that 5 bucks.  

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt

Comments

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 442 Member
    I just finished Citizen Soldiers by Steven Ambrose.

That Siegfried line was a bad place to have to be. 
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 1,383 Senior Member
    One day.............one day.

Hopefully!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,074 Senior Member
    Cool pics, thanks.

We went to to Bastogne back in the 90s when I was stationed in Germany. I remember a museum there. Stopped to see Patton's grave in Luxembourg too.

Did you stop in Trier on the way?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    I remember all the places selling Pommes (French Fries) and the different sauces you could get with them.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,522 Senior Member
    Very cool thanks for the great pics!
  • ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,010 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Cool pics, thanks.

We went to to Bastogne back in the 90s when I was stationed in Germany. I remember a museum there. Stopped to see Patton's grave in Luxembourg too.

Did you stop in Trier on the way?

No. I did not see Trier.   I will do some research into Trier and see what else is nearby.  

I met a guy from the SF area and he was doing a day trip to Luxembourg.  He didnt know about Diekirch but was going to the town just south of it - Ettelbruck.   Ettelbruck is another place i will need to go back and see.

There are a several museums in Bastogne.  I also went back there to see the one at the Mardasson Memorial.  My 1st time there it was new but closed for something. 
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    Big Chief said:
    I remember all the places selling Pommes (French Fries) and the different sauces you could get with them.
    In Brussels/Bastogne, the fries were common.    It isnt the fries itself, but the various toppings you could get.  I had a batch in Brussels but i had just catchup. Even the catchup was different flavor.  I also wanted to try (again) the waffles, but my stomach couldn't handle all of the food.

The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    edited April 12 #9
    They use a lot of curry in their ketchup. It taste sweeter to me.

There must have been 25 different sauces to pick from in one place I visited there.

I thought it weird to see a sauerkraut put mayo in his pommes.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,913 Senior Member
    Hmmmmm- - - - -nice looking muzzle brake and rafters.  Is there something I'm missing on the rest of those billboards?
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,468 Senior Member
    Never got to Belgium while I was in the Navy. Logistically it was an impossibility at the time. I was mostly limited to day trips or the occasional glorious weekend off. I took advantage of the weekends off duty for traveling by train everywhere I could go. Had to travel in dress uniform, too, on those weekend trips. Yay........ Kind of put you out there on display, which could be good or bad depending on where you were visiting. Switzerland was definitely the best. Once they figured out I was a farm raised boy they warmed up to me. Lots of battlefields in France, Italy, and Sicily. That channel between Italy and Sicily is a woolybooger when the tide and wind is right. Woo Hoo! There were still a lot of battle scars left in Italy and France when I was there, and lots of places to visit where the battles were fought.

Normandy was one place I'll never get. We went on a guided tour while on a port visit close to the area. It's a place that doesn't soon leave your mind. From the high ground looking down on the beach, it really hits you what those troops landing were up against.
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

Teach said:
    Hmmmmm- - - - -nice looking muzzle brake and rafters.  Is there something I'm missing on the rest of those billboards?
    ???

i didnt resize the pictures just reduced the file size.

could be the photos are too large?
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,468 Senior Member
    ilove22s said:
    Teach said:
    ???

i didnt resize the pictures just reduced the file size.

could be the photos are too large?
    Clicking on that last picture makes it go to a full screen enlargement for more detail and a wider angle view.
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file