Why am I even looking at .22 handguns..........

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 30,184 Senior Member
Was lookin at a GP-100 10-shot .22 LR on Gallery of guns and they have exclusive 4.2 " bbl (?) ones, but I wanted a 5 1/2" , but the longer bbl on stock watch. Can grab one (shorter one) fer $499 total including taxes/BG check/X-fer...............delivered a very short drive from my house.
That is about $100-150 cheaper than anywhere else with the 5.5" bbls anyway.

So I dug out my .22 handguns and I already have a model 63 with 4" and it don't weigh 40 oz either. 42 oz fer the 5.5" if they had it. True, you get 10 shots not 6. The Colt Official Police too. Got the Ruger MKII Govt Tgt Model and a Buck Mark so the semis is covered.

Oh well, maybe something will hit me I gotta have......................

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Comments

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 2,932 Senior Member
    Because the .22lr handgun is the ultimate fun gun. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,184 Senior Member
    I wuz also looking at Single Sixes/Single 9s (.22 Mag) and Single Tens Ruger has now.............but oh wait I already have a .22/.22 Mag convertible..............of sorts...........Crying Laughter animated emoticon  Ugly Man Laugh animated emoticon

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 500 Senior Member
    Probly because your getting smarter as you get older.

No handloading, easy to clean. Just load and shoot. Easy recoil and noise, less fatigue.
    edited April 13 #5
    Because the .22lr handgun is the ultimate fun gun. 
    Now that is FORSOOTH...................as Shush would say, just used......

for·sooth
    [fawr- sooth]
    ADVERB [ARCHAIC.]
    (now used in derision or to express disbelief) in truth; in fact; indeed.

Probly because your getting smarter as you get older.

No handloading, easy to clean. Just load and shoot. Easy recoil and noise, less fatigue.
    That is forsooth too/2/tu/to/two
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,548 Senior Member
    .22 revolvers and semiautos are the fun guns. You can shoot one and not get recoil fatigue like with the larger centerfires.  And with those bricks and buckets of CHEAP promotional .22 LR ammo you can shoot a LOT for cheap and have loads of fun. What's not to like! :smiley:
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

Ya know one of the most fun .22s I ever owned was believe it or not a Heritage Arms .22/.22 mag combo. I paid 100 bucks fer it NIB from an FFL who was going outta business. It was dead nuts accurate, fixed sights and "Pointed" right on if I looked at a target and drew/raised it then looked down the bbl and it was already pointed at the target.....sorta uncanny...............

It was a Rough Rider with fake whorehouse grips and a 5" or was it 5 1/2" bbl. Had a .22 mag cylinder too. Like a fool I traded it for that Comanche .22 lr revolver that the frame cracked on when Teach's son was shootin at a SE Shoot.    
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 928 Senior Member
    edited April 13 #9
    1) They are fun.  

2) Your collection needs a High Standard.

3) You seem to be missing a Mk IV and a Victory as well.

I had a High Standard in .22 Short, I probably should have kept it.............in retrospect. I remember it had the strangest looking magazine...........kinda jagged/curvy.  
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 22,648 Senior Member
    I don't know, why are you?
    My new Signature
    NN said:
    Beats me?  I dont know animated emoticon
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,128 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Ya know one of the most fun .22s I ever owned was believe it or not a Heritage Arms .22/.22 mag combo. I paid 100 bucks fer it NIB from an FFL who was going outta business. It was dead nuts accurate, fixed sights and "Pointed" right on if I looked at a target and drew/raised it then looked down the bbl and it was already pointed at the target.....sorta uncanny...............

It was a Rough Rider with fake whorehouse grips and a 5" or was it 5 1/2" bbl. Had a .22 mag cylinder too. Like a fool I traded it for that Comanche .22 lr revolver that the frame cracked on when Teach's son was shootin at a SE Shoot.    
    Funny you say that .......I bought this one at a flea market a week ago.

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,084 Senior Member
    I think you're pretty much covered regarding .22LR handguns. A SA convertible revolver might be a nice addition and I'd suggest a stainless steel adjustable-sights Ruger Single Six with either 4½ or 6½ barrel.

A service pistol sized .22 could be another option to add to your collection; maybe a kit for a 1911 or M-4, or the excellent Kadet conversion for the CZ-75; other than that, the collectible choice are pretty much endless (Like a K-22, a Sig P-210, a S&W 41 etc. etc.)
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Was lookin at a GP-100 10-shot .22 LR on Gallery of guns and they have exclusive 4.2 " bbl (?) ones, but I wanted a 5 1/2" , but the longer bbl on stock watch. Can grab one (shorter one) fer $499 total including taxes/BG check/X-fer...............delivered a very short drive from my house.

So I dug out my .22 handguns and I already have a model 63 with 4" and it don't weigh 40 oz either. 42 oz fer the 5.5" if they had it. True, you get 10 shots not 6. The Colt Official Police too. Got the Ruger MKII Govt Tgt Model and a Buck Mark so the semis is covered.

I've wanted a GP-100 or a SP-101 .22 for quite some time. If you feel it is necessary to get the GP-100 but you need to make room for it. You can gladly send me one of those other revolvers to make room.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,599 Senior Member
    Unless you're planning some kind of Bullseye use requiring longer sight radius, or want some kind of big-frame-smallbore-surrogate-to-the-duty-gun-for-practice setup, I'd say that little 63 pretty nicely solves the DA .22 requirement. 
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,341 Senior Member
    Some of you folks should be ashamed of yourselves and your membership here revoked!

Buy it you can't have too many 22s!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    Big Chief said:

I've wanted a GP-100 or a SP-101 .22 for quite some time. If you feel it is necessary to get the GP-100 but you need to make room for it. You can gladly send me one of those other revolvers to make room.

Bigslug said:
    Unless you're planning some kind of Bullseye use requiring longer sight radius, or want some kind of big-frame-smallbore-surrogate-to-the-duty-gun-for-practice setup, I'd say that little 63 pretty nicely solves the DA .22 requirement. 
    It is a dandy little J framed .22, I need to give it more frequent range time. Them things got crazy expensive and always had a little steep price tag on them, even used.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    NN said:

You know why...........your an addict.........take that step
    Weatherby said:
    Big Chief said:
    NN said:

I have it under control............I really do.............Drunk Woman Showing Tongue animated emoticon
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,349 Senior Member
    edited April 15 #21
    Big Chief said:
    Weatherby said:
    Big Chief said:
    NN said:

I have it under control............I really do.............Drunk Woman Showing Tongue animated emoticon

That makes one of us......I think I got them all.
    Worse I almost bought another this week.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,677 Senior Member
    I still lack a single-action .22, mainly because I keep thinking, why buy a heavy-duty Ruger chambered for .22?

I have it surrounded, with a Hi-Standard Double-Nine and a Model 63, but just never really wanted a big ole 'hawgleg' of a revolver that only fired .22's. Now, if I could make myself shell out for a Colt, that would be much more 'elegant.' Maybe I will buy a Uberti some day.
    If the price is right we all will skip a few meals to get one or 2 or 10 .........
    Old Ron said:
    If the price is right we all will skip a few meals to get one or 2 or 10 .........
    I'm past that. The smell of food triumphs over all other temptations - just like some dogs I have had, :)
    I am only 67 so maybe in time I will get over that ........probably not. If I could stay with only buying one at a time it wouldn't be bad but I seem to run into groups & that gets expensive.
    I have a bid in on 14 as we speak. But I still will make up a couple T bones tonight. If I get those then back to PB&J
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,649 Senior Member
    My first was a Ruger Bearcat, then came a JP Sauer & Sohns Centurian, (a copy of a model 14 Smith), then a Ruger MKIII Hunter.  I still have all three because they are so much fun to shoot.  All three have been blooded......robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 928 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    I still lack a single-action .22, mainly because I keep thinking, why buy a heavy-duty Ruger chambered for .22?

I have it surrounded, with a Hi-Standard Double-Nine and a Model 63, but just never really wanted a big ole 'hawgleg' of a revolver that only fired .22's. Now, if I could make myself shell out for a Colt, that would be much more 'elegant.' Maybe I will buy a Uberti some day.

Bearcat Shopkeeper

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,337 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:

My shootin' buddy has a Heritage Rough Rider and loves it.  His is 6 1/2" and without the mag conversion.  He paid $125 for it less than a year ago; it's used but in great shape.  He shoots it pretty well. 

Those j-frame .22 S&Ws used to be called "kit guns" because you could carry them in a "kit" or tackle box.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,341 Senior Member
    Weatherby, what is hat interesting oddball on the bottom left?
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    bisley said:

Bearcat Shopkeeper

I like that, but the bird heads never seem to feel good in my hand. It is very pretty, though.
    Nice collection of .22s Weatherby.............never run out of one to shoot fer sure.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file