Casting "oops".

FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior MemberPosts: 4,954 Senior Member
I hadn't cast any bullets for a while and I was low on a few of my most heavily used bullets so it was time to fire up the furnace. I got the pot full (20lbs), fluxed, and up to temp, preheated a mold, and on the first pour the valve stuck open and emptied the whole pot on the carport floor.
snake284 wrote: »
For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me

Comments

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 5,924 Senior Member
    edited April 14 #2
    I hadn't cast any bullets for a while and I was low on a few of my most heavily used bullets so it was time to fire up the furnace. I got the pot full (20lbs), fluxed, and up to temp, preheated a mold, and on the first pour the valve stuck open and emptied the whole pot on the carport floor.
    Pics or it didn't happen. :)

cjp wrote: »

..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »

...But seriously Shush....

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,468 Senior Member
    Don't know what pot you're using but that's why I keep a paperclip and forceps handy. Shove the paperclip up the spout with the forceps and knock the clog out of the way. Beats running around screaming naughty words! :D
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 2,962 Senior Member
    I have a sauce pan bolted below mine for just that reason.

Sako
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 15,347 Senior Member
    Hmmmm... As somebody who has toyed with the idea of casting - at least for my muzzie - this makes me want to use a pot and a ladle instead of a bottom feed valve. I do know that ladling like that can introduce dross to the castings.

Comments either way?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
    zorba said:
    Hmmmm... As somebody who has toyed with the idea of casting - at least for my muzzie - this makes me want to use a pot and a ladle instead of a bottom feed valve. I do know that ladling like that can introduce dross to the castings.

Comments either way?
    I cast thousands of bullets and round balls from a cast iron pot on a Coleman camp stove to melt the lead. As long as you use a proper ladle for pouring the lead you won't introduce any dross into the mold.
    One like this is great for dipping and pouring from a melting pot.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/286579/lyman-lead-dipper

A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,652 Senior Member
    zorba said:

Comments either way?
    Yeah. **** dipping with a ladle. At least doing any quantity. But that's just me. 

As to the little mishap, I started my pot and went into the house when I had first started casting. Came back 10-15 minutes later to find what WAS  a half full pot, darn near empty. Some of it made it into the cut off pop can that
    was under it, most went on he bench top. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 4,954 Senior Member
    It was kind of a fluke as I had a roof leak last year that dripped on my furnace and the linkage to the valve was rusty and seized up. Nothing would stop the flow. I've also cast thousands of bullets over the years and for my casting style, a 20lb furnace is the only way to go. I like to cast large quantities at a time so that I don't have to cast bullets every time that I load ammo and a bottom pour furnace is way faster than a ladle. I use an iron pot and ladle to cast fishing weights but they start at 8oz.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,072 Senior Member
    I try to only cast every few years. Get a ammo can of each cal. cast then I am good to go.
    I only use a ladle & pot when I have dirty lead & am skimming & making ingots.
    Had big plans to load some powder coated lead to try out........( didn't happen )
    The powder coating is a fun process & I plan to do more if time permits.

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 17,913 Senior Member
    I've had a couple of mishaps with a bottom pour pot, but jiggling the handle a few times stopped the flow before anything dramatic happened.  I've got a drip pan under the spout that will hold a pound or so before it overflows, but keeping a catch pan handy that will hold the whole contents of the pot is a good idea- - - -I'm definitely going to start doing that!  
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 4,954 Senior Member
    Teach said:keeping a catch pan handy that will hold the whole contents of the pot is a good idea- - - -I'm definitely going to start doing that!  

I started doing that too, yesterday.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,589 Senior Member
    zorba said:

Comments either way?
    Yes.  Ladle casting SUCKS!!!  It has some supposed advantages among the guys casting the very large and long rifle bullets for BPCR competition, but IME it requires more arms than a human being comes issued with to do efficiently.  Back and butt start to hurt after sitting on the stool for too long. For any kind of volume operation, I want nothing to do with ladles - 4-cavity molds and a quick way to fill them are the ticket.

Hell, even my propane-powered scrap recovery pot is now bottom-pour, and the process of ingot-making is A LOT faster and A LOT less fatiguing because of it.

As to crud in the pot. . .this I find is another advantage to bottom-pour in both the smelting and final casting stages.  A lot of guys are all about fluxing with wax, sawdust, and all manner of things.  I don't.  I stir, scrape, and skim the smelting pot, then operate on the premise that the particulates are lighter than the "treasure" and float upwards away from the spigot.  In the case of the casting pot, I'll stir and periodically scrape, but usually let the scum float on top as an oxygen barrier until I'm ready to drain the remainder back into ingot molds.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,332 Senior Member
    Free advice: don't cast in your garage or any closed space where you inhale lead fumes.  I have a ladle pot and am quite satisfied with it.  I cast (infrequently) outside on my back porch/pad so I don't have to get my blood recycled twice a year to remove lead.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,375 Senior Member
    This thread isn't what I thought it was going to be about...
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    zorba said:

Comments either way?
    Go for it !
    Casting is relaxing . Go bottom drop, way better & a lot faster & better results.
    Then look into powder coating. Give the lead some bling ! It is fun to do too & the colors are endless. I have just started PC but if I can give you any help just let me know. If you shop around you can get all the things you need & not break the bank.

I use both ladle poured and bottom pour depending on bullet. I like ladle poured bullets for anything over 350 grains. Ladle pouring is also just fine for low volume bullet pouring. I consider 1 oz. 12 gauge slugs as low volume as I rarely cast more than 100 at a sitting. 40-50 is more than enough.

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,029 Senior Member
    I always thought choosing Ben Affleck was terrible casting as Jack Ryan in A Sum of All Fears...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,375 Senior Member
    I always thought choosing Ben Affleck was terrible casting as Jack Ryan in A Sum of All Fears...

Wambli gets it.

I haven't seen many movies where casting Ben was the right choice.

"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,598 Senior Member
    I have kept a pie tin under my casting pot spout when walking away for anyting for just such an occasion.
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I put a cast iron ingot tray to catch any drips . It releases the lead easily & then I put it right back in the pot.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 8,967 Senior Member
    How about Idris Elba as Roland in "The Dark Tower"?

To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    How about Idris Elba as Roland in "The Dark Tower"?

How about John Wayne in Green Berets. John was getting a little long in the tooth, and a bit chunky for that part. Still a good movie, though.

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 25,029 Senior Member
    Ha!  I give you Brando as a SF Col in Apocalypse Now...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file