To Much Scope for AR?

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior MemberPosts: 928 Senior Member
As per a prior post, I found a Cabelas (aka Meopta)  4-12 x 50 with the EXT Reticle.  

Since it has the benefit of being free, I was thinking about mounting it on my new Ruger MPR.  Not having had an AR before, would it be an insane idea?  I am not an operator (that might require more running than I am currently willing to consider) nor do I plan to use it for home defense.  

I plan to go take it to the range to put small holes in paper, to hunt feral hogs, and maybe learn to hit steel at longer distances.  

Once I get it built, my pending PSA build will take the role of compact carbine,  

Comments

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 36,686 Senior Member
    Not at all. And, free is bueno. I had a something to 16 power on mine. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,593 Senior Member
    No harm it at least mounting it for load development or accuracy testing.  If it turns out it's a tack driver, leave it and have a varmint rifle.  If the rifle isn't quite worthy of the magnification, move it.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,324 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    No harm it at least mounting it for load development or accuracy testing.  If it turns out it's a tack driver, leave it and have a varmint rifle.  If the rifle isn't quite worthy of the magnification, move it.
    Exactly!!!!
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,629 Senior Member
    Heck, I just mounted a 4-24 on the 224 Valkyrie I am building. 
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,094 Senior Member
    Changing things on my guns is always fun & keeps them just the way you want them for your needs. Extra scopes is a great reason to buy another gun. ( yep that works for me )
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 928 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Changing things on my guns is always fun & keeps them just the way you want them for your needs. Extra scopes is a great reason to buy another gun. ( yep that works for me )
    Funny part, I decided it was to big for my Winchester M70 Featherweight and stuck it in my box of random gun stuff.  

I can’t believe that I forgot about my most expensive scope.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,094 Senior Member
    You need to step up your random gun stuff ...... from box to room !
    I am heading for random gun stuff building !
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 276 Member
    Bigslug said:
    And if all that fails, you can always use it to have a look at Jupiter and Neptune.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 16,580 Senior Member
    I have from 1x red dots, to a fixed 24x on different AR uppers.

All depends on what you plan on using it for.

About the only things I can't see you doing with a 4-12x50 is HD or "run and gun"

For most other things, you should be good to go
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 20,703 Senior Member
    edited April 6 #11
    The way I look at it, it's your rifle, mount what you like on it. You can mount the Hubble space telescope on it if that turns you on. There's just not enough weight and size difference between say a 2-7x32 and a 4-12x50 to make it a game changer. I like 4-12  scopes. I don't have a 4-12x50 and don't prefer a 50mm because it puts the center line of the scope too high above the bore line for my preference, but whatever turns your crank's what counts. I've got several 4-12 scopes. For my eyes they're about right for hunting. I keep it cranked down on 4x while hunting but if I see a target out past 150-200 yards I start cranking up the power ring. It's nice to have 12x available for long shots. My newest scope is a Leupold VX-2 4-12x40 I put on my .270. The 4-12 power range covers everything I need. If you're into different kinds of shooting where you need an ultra light gun at short range I guess those Red Dots and other low to no magnifications are good, but if you use it for normal hunting I can't see a thing wrong with a bit larger scope. An AR is not just a short range plinker, it's also a long range varminter. Besides, I've known more than a couple guys on here and in my shooting circle that have used everything from Red Dots to 6-18x40s on ARs.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 30,139 Senior Member
    I put a Bushnell 4.5-18 BDC on my Ruger MPR and left my regular 556 with the pop-up sights after trying a cheap Red Dot I didn't like on it.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-ar-optics-4-5-18x40-riflescope-w-bdc-reticle-matte-black.html

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 21,496 Senior Member
    That should have you set up for general hunting and for punching paper. Nothing wrong with that power scope on an AR. Try it out at both hunting and targets and see how it performs; that's the only test that counts.
    A double action revolver is a semiauto firearm. It fires once for every trigger pull.

Big Chief said:
    I put a Bushnell 4.5-18 BDC on my Ruger MPR and left my regular 556 with the pop-up sights after trying a cheap Red Dot I didn't like on it.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-ar-optics-4-5-18x40-riflescope-w-bdc-reticle-matte-black.html

What kind of mount did you use?  
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 3,971 Senior Member
    Imho, unless you're pdogging or taking really long pokes at pronghorn, the 4-12x is the most versatile scope around. I own 3. 1 is on a 270, another on a 308, and the other in on, believe it or not, a 10/22T. I've killed a ton of squirrels with that 10/22, from powder burn close to a bit past 100 yards. Unless you're specializing in something, a 4-12 is hard to beat. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,691 Senior Member
    I have had higher power optics on my AR before.
    It all depends on how you plan to use it.
    On another one it has a reflex sight.
    All in the uses.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,338 Senior Member
    Linefinder said it perfectly.  4-12 is where it's at.

Like my F150, she is black and beautiful.
    edited April 16 #20
    Nice! I really like mine.

Make sure the handguard hex head screws are tight and it is situated all the way to the rear. If you look at the pic I posted above mine slid forward a bit, I didn't even notice it when shootin it. 
    You're literally the first and only person I've ever seen use the factory supplied lock. 
    Zee
    edited April 16 #22
    cpj said:
    You're literally the first and only person I've ever seen use the factory supplied lock. 
    I wuz thunking the same thing. But I'm sure he has a reason. Some kids, non-gun people, some laws, traveling in some places, may be it makes some family members 'feel better' having an AR in the house............whatever. I saved all the locks I get, but think I only ever put one on a Mossberg shotgun before I deployed once and knew it never would be used while I was gone, but left the key where the family could find it.

I cringe just thinking how some thief would mess up a firearm trying to get one off without bolt cutters or a trigger guard lock.........   
    cpj said:
    It was literally the only one I could find for the trip to/from the gunsmith.  

Most of my stuff (and all my tools) is still in CT.  I can’t wait for the old house to sell so I can buy a new house with a proper gun safe.

Ummm, why would you need to lock it to and from the gunsmith? 
    You do realize you're in America now, right?
    Zee
    edited April 16 #25
    You mounted the scope yourself or had the LGS do it?

I mount my own. Never any big issues. Usually in the ballpark and make a few adjustments on the range with E&W and may change them here and there with different loads.
    edited April 17 #26
    cpj said:
    Ummm, why would you need to lock it to and from the gunsmith? 
    You do realize you're in America now, right?

The last time I took a gun to a Cabelas, they mounted their own crazy gun lock on it for the trip to the back.  By using my own, I hoped to convince them to simply use a chamber flag.  It worked.

Big Chief said:
    You mounted the scope yourself or had the LGS do it?

I mount my own. Never any big issues. Usually in the ballpark and make a few adjustments on the range with E&W and may change them here and there with different loads. 
    II am living in an apartment with with the kids while my wife sells the house in CT (we got an offer last night 👍👍).  All my tools are still in my workshop.  

Rather than guess on torque, I took advantage of the free offer from Cabelas.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file